Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP ME PLEASE - Hair loss on scalp

Hi,

What BCP are you on? Many years ago I was on one called Logynon, it was fine for a while and then I noticed my hair was getting thinner and thinner didn't have any idea why, all my bloods came back normal, then the penny dropped, I started searching hair loss and birth control and bingo I was on a birth control that was high testosterone derived. My gp switched me to Dianette and then I got Rosacea, the onset was quick and brutal. I stopped all BCP pills and my hair stopped shedding and after a few years my Rosacea went into remission. I had ten years of clear skin and no hair shedding. Check you are on a hair friendly BCP.

A guy who does very good alternative treatments for hair loss is Peter Bannister. He uses essential oils - I found the treatments very effective.
    http://www.trichology.uk.com/
    But I suspect that treating the face and scalp for demodex mites is another option - 70% almond oil, 30% Thursday plantation tea tree oil. This does speed up my hair growth as well.

If you went to see Peter, one of the key things he'd recommend is Lipokerine E Shampoo by La Biosthetique - this is expensive, but does support hair growth and is ideal for rosacea as it is incredibly mild if it does touch the face. This is a great shampoo for anyone with rosacea as it's so mild, while being great for the hair quality. But Peter does have a much wider range of options if you go to see him to support hair growth.

I'd steer well clear of conventional medical treatments for hair loss as they generally force hair growth through dilating the blood vessels on the scalp - indeed some people do blame the onset of their rosacea on hair loss medicines. They are not sustainable as well in the sense that the hair usually falls out again if you stop taking the medication.

Mirtazapine can cause hair loss by the way, if you're using that to help with the rosacea - there are alternatives which are less likely to cause it such as the anti-malarials (hydroxychloroquine or mepacrine). Most of the anti-depressant drugs are prone to causing hair loss.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 12th January 2017 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    A guy who does very good alternative treatments for hair loss is Peter Bannister. He uses essential oils - I found the treatments very effective.
    http://www.trichology.uk.com/
    But I suspect that treating the face and scalp for demodex mites is another option - 70% almond oil, 30% Thursday plantation tea tree oil. This does speed up my hair growth as well.

If you went to see Peter, one of the key things he'd recommend is Lipokerine E Shampoo by La Biosthetique - this is expensive, but does support hair growth and is ideal for rosacea as it is incredibly mild if it does touch the face. This is a great shampoo for anyone with rosacea as it's so mild, while being great for the hair quality. But Peter does have a much wider range of options if you go to see him to support hair growth.

I'd steer well clear of conventional medical treatments for hair loss as they generally force hair growth through dilating the blood vessels on the scalp - indeed some people do blame the onset of their rosacea on hair loss medicines. They are not sustainable as well in the sense that the hair usually falls out again if you stop taking the medication.

Mirtazapine can cause hair loss by the way, if you're using that to help with the rosacea - there are alternatives which are less likely to cause it such as the anti-malarials (hydroxychloroquine or mepacrine). Most of the anti-depressant drugs are prone to causing hair loss.
    Thank you for this. Going to look into it. And when I see prof chu mention it to him about the meds causing hairloss.

. I think it may also be to do with my Seb derm. I have it bad. When I wash my hair my hair is covered in white flakes - not sure why it doesn't wash away. Plus I have Seb derm in my eyebrows and hairs fall out there.

Nothing seems to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Countrygirl View Post
    Hi,

What BCP are you on? Many years ago I was on one called Logynon, it was fine for a while and then I noticed my hair was getting thinner and thinner didn't have any idea why, all my bloods came back normal, then the penny dropped, I started searching hair loss and birth control and bingo I was on a birth control that was high testosterone derived. My gp switched me to Dianette and then I got Rosacea, the onset was quick and brutal. I stopped all BCP pills and my hair stopped shedding and after a few years my Rosacea went into remission. I had ten years of clear skin and no hair shedding. Check you are on a hair friendly BCP.
    I am on Yasmin as I lost my periods and had low estrogen levels. Been on it for 3 years. Just over a year ago I started rosacea and then Seb derm later on. I have a feeling the Seb Derm causes it because when I wash my hair I'm covered in white flakes which I have no idea why they haven't washed away. My eyebrows have Seb derm in and hairs fall out there too. I can't seem to control it. Why me? Why do I have everything?

If it's the birth control pill I'm going to go mad...annoyingly I'm worried coming off it will give me acne as I know hormones can get upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things will get better. Yasmin is a better pill to be on. The ones to avoid are ones that have Levonorgestrirel because it has a very high androgenic effect. I honestly wish I had never taken the pill. Hair loss on one and Rosacea on another.