Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP ME PLEASE - Hair loss on scalp

Default HELP ME PLEASE - Hair loss on scalp

Hi, Please can someone help me with regards to my hair loss.

- I have rosacea.
    - I now have hair loss - it started with hair loss on my eyebrows caused by seb derm, but now I have it on my scalp. I also have seb derm there, but not sure if that is the cause.
    - I have a low Bmi - could that be the cause? I have had a low BMI for years now, I am tall and slim. I eat healthily (obviously) but eat a balanced diet (meat, carbs, veg etc).
    - My iron levels were not significantly that low, but I am taking iron supplements anyway
    - I have no thyroid issue

Does anyone have the same? or have any advice? Please help I am a 24 year old girl, and fed up with life: first Rosacea (flushing badly) and now hair loss.

Thank you

Hi Hi, another 24f here. Unfortunately, hair loss/thinning can be caused by any number of issues.

1. What shampoo are you using? Some people report hair loss with Head and Shoulders, and I know people with seb derm tend to use that
    2. Have you started any new medications recently that could be to blame? Such as going on/off birth control, or spiro or something?
    3. When's the last time you've gotten your vitamin levels checked? Could be due to a deficiency (not necessarily iron deficiency)
    4. How much protein do you eat? Hair needs it.
    5. Do you take a multivitamin?

Also, pay attention to how you're losing hair. Is it happening quickly (if so, see a doc ASAP) or over a long period? Are there thin patches (almost like alopecia)? Or is it getting thin/fine all over?

My general advice: examine and improve your diet, wash every other day, keep conditioner away from roots, use gentle shampoo. Try a leave in conditioner to strengthen. Take vitamins and leave your hair down.

Hope some of this helps a bit.

ginaisred, have you tried taking biotin supplement ?

Hi Gina, as. Invisible mentioned, if you could describe the pattern of your hair loss (patches, overall thinning, etc), that will help provide some clues. Also, has the quality of your hair suffered, too? Coarse, dry, breaking, color change?

Are you still taking zinc?

Hi Gina,

I read through all your posts and I can see you on quite a few medications, have you spoken to Prof Chu about your hair loss, he might be able to tell you which ones could cause hair loss. I can tell you are having a bad time, but stress will make it worse. Do you have an allergy to Limonene, is so be careful with certain shampoos. Keep the faith, this will get better.

Hi all, thank you for your responses, it really means so much to have your help

- My hair loss pattern at the moment is currently thinning at the sides of my head. No bald patches as such. Prof Chu checked for alopecia areata and said I didn't have that. He said the meds wouldn't be the cause apparently.
    - lots of hair falls out when wash it and covers my clothes, so I put it up in a bun
    - I have always had very very fine hair
    - I had blood tests to check my vitamin levels. Vitamin D was low (but not significant to cause effects apparently) but I am supplementing with Vit D. My Iron was low-ish so I am supplementing with Iron (feroglobin). I have just had more blood tests to check my hormone levels and will get the results back this week. Last time I had them checked I had low Estrogen due to my low BMI and started taking the pill (I have been on it for 3 years now), because I lost my periods.
    - I am tall and slim and my BMI is low, but I do eat a balanced diet.
    - I rarely exercise?
    - I use Nizoral and Head and Shoulders shampoo.
    - I am slightly allergic to Linalool and Limonene, so avoid anything with these in.
    - I am at uni, so probably eat protein three times a week (chicken or fish).More when I am at uni. I eat eggs basically everyday though.
    - DIET. In the morning: lots of porridge, nuts, chia seed, flax, almond milk. Lunch: scrambled eggs / eggs, oatcakes, salad, avocado / soup. fruit and chocolate. Supper: salmon / chicken, sweet potato and vet. OR soup OR curry of some sort with ginger, turmeric etc
    - SUPPLEMENTS: Feroglobin (which contains Iron, zinc, Bit B12, Copper), Skin omegas, Skin Accumax (vitamin A), multidophillis. I started taking a skin, hair and nails formula by SOLGAR, but realised I may be overdoing the zinc as it contains MSM, Zinc, Vit C. SO I stopped it?
    - I have never taken Biotin? would this be good?

Thank you all so much, I am tearing up right now, but really appreciate your solid group of advice from all of yourXX

Seb derm can cause hair loss. Some
    Will debate this but you can find
    Sources that reliably prove it. Démodex
    Mites love seb derm and rosacea. May
    Want to consider mite treatment.

Stress is very common to cause hair
    Loss. In my experience, rosacea and
    Seb derm preclude hair loss. Combined
    Stress of the conditions and inflammation.

Eat clean. Exercise. Get consistent
    Sleep. Biotin may help. Don't over
    Do the zinc. If you can, up your vitamin
    C to 2,000-4,000 mg a day with a meal.
    Slowly. Causes flushing for some. Last,
    Worry will just cause cortisol to rise
    And create more loss. Figure out a
    Plan A. Then after several months
    May need a plan B. Go forward. Breathe.

Best, birdie

I see you are taking a supplement product
    From Jane Iredale is that right? Look
    Up the ingredient list. It contains DIM
    ( abbrev.) which causes estrogen levels
    To increase for many women. Read
    Carefully about this supplement. It
    --the DIM was prescribed for me
    Nearly 8 years ago as menopause
    Began. It worked in reverse. My estrogen
    Went higher. And I had increased hair
    Loss. Not sure how long you have been
    Using the product. It also contains soy.
    Soy will increase estrogen levels in sensitive
    People. I would not take that product.
    That is my advice. Birdie

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    I see you are taking a supplement product
    From Jane Iredale is that right? Look
    Up the ingredient list. It contains DIM
    ( abbrev.) which causes estrogen levels
    To increase for many women. Read
    Carefully about this supplement. It
    --the DIM was prescribed for me
    Nearly 8 years ago as menopause
    Began. It worked in reverse. My estrogen
    Went higher. And I had increased hair
    Loss. Not sure how long you have been
    Using the product. It also contains soy.
    Soy will increase estrogen levels in sensitive
    People. I would not take that product.
    That is my advice. Birdie
    Thank you Birdie. I will take on board all of your advice (exercise, take biotin etc).
    Yes that is correct, the Jane Iredale supplement. It has been a Godsend for my Acne, I got very bad hormonal acne on my chin, because of low estrogen and that has helped hugely - I worry going off it, and have been on it for many years. But i will look into what you said...it is annoying I have so much issues and taking so much stuff I have no idea what may be causing it...I think the seb derm (like you said) must be a factor though. Annoyingly I can't seem to get it under control and I hate washing my hair with fear of it falling out.

I lost most of my hair a few years ago. I was severely anemic, had to have surgery, then lost quite a bit of weight. My doctor said any of those things could have caused the hair loss. She suggested taking a multivitamin and a biotin supplement.

My hair came back after about a year and a half but it's not as thick as it used to be.

A couple of practical ways to disguise the hair loss: use volumizing shampoo, stop using a flat iron if that's something you usually do. Add highlights or go with a lighter hair color all over. The lighter streaks or lighter color will blend better with your scalp if it shows through. Wide hairbands are also a girl's best friend when she's losing her hair...pull some hair forward to be bangs, put the hairband on, fluff up the hair behind it, then the part that you pulled forward, sweep to one side and tuck the ends under the hairband. Hairpieces and wigs are also an option...ponytail hairpieces make it look like you've got lots of hair but you have to be able to pull your hair into a bun to attach the ponytail. I got to the point where I was wearing a scarf or hat or wig every time I left the house. People look at you funny sometimes when you've got a scarf on, and hats and wigs can be pretty warm in hot weather. If you decide to try wearing wigs, buy some wig clips and sew them in, at least two in the front and one or two in the back, so your wig doesn't slip when you'e wearing it.