Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Sebaceous Filaments !!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Sebaceous Filaments !!!

    It turns out I may have never had seb derm at all but instead SEBACEOUS FILAMENTS.

    Sebaceous filaments are the grits that form in large pores that look similar to blackheads. They are a naturally occuring condition and not seb derm.

    I've seen many people on here post pics of what I now believe to be sebaceous filaments. Below is a google image search for sebaceous filaments, take a look.

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=SEBAC...iw=941&bih=408

    The best source of treatment options appears to be on the reddit subforum r/skincareaddiction. A topical exfoliant with salicylic acid (bha), the oil cleansing method (ocm), some other things are recommended as treatment options. Low dose accutane also helps, which explains why it works well for me.

    Before you wash you face with another harsh shampoo/soap take a minute to research sebaceous filaments.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    79
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Interesting, have you tried it?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default

    I've been trying topical treatments for sebaceous filaments for about a week.

    It's hard to say definitively but i think it's working pretty well.

    In the morning I wash my face with water, then apply a salicylic 2% gel (AcneFree Acne Control Gel). When it dries after about 15-20 mins I apply cerave pm moisturizer.

    At night after I wk/out I use the oil cleansing method and cleanse my face with a homemade mix of 80% mineral oil and 20% castor oil. I massage the oil mix onto my face for 2 mins and let it stay on for another 10 mins or so and then wash it off. I use warm water and a hot face cloth to wash it off. I follow that up with cerave foaming cleanser, so I 'double cleanse'.

    I have a exfoliant or bha product in the mail that is well reviewed by redditors that I will use to replace the AcneFree product.

    https://www.amazon.ca/Cosrx-Blackhea...8QCWCVEMDFAB74

    My skin is red and damaged, years of abuse don't go away overnight but in so far as the flakes in the pores, I see a difference already no doubt.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    79
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    That is great to hear. Do you have any photos to follow your process? I think I have sebaceous filaments as well and right now I am trying a 2% BHA and then using a shale oil shampoo afterwards.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    80
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    I feel like I might have this on my nose but also on the skin under my eyebrows is that possible?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default

    I have sebaceous filaments basically on all my t-zone area. Under the eyebrows wouldn't surprise me but i'm not sure. Best bet is to try the treatment and see if it works.

    Are you using the shale oil shampoo on your face? I'd suggest not using any harsh products on face and instead use a gentle cleanser.

    Not gonna post pics yet as I just started treatment but maybe in a month or two.

    I used cerave pm at night yesterday after i double cleansed and woke up today looking good so i'll also moisturize before bed from now on.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    79
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    I have sebaceous filaments basically on all my t-zone area. Under the eyebrows wouldn't surprise me but i'm not sure. Best bet is to try the treatment and see if it works.

    Are you using the shale oil shampoo on your face? I'd suggest not using any harsh products on face and instead use a gentle cleanser.

    Not gonna post pics yet as I just started treatment but maybe in a month or two.

    I used cerave pm at night yesterday after i double cleansed and woke up today looking good so i'll also moisturize before bed from now on.
    Yes I do. I don't think the product is that harsh so I think its OK.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty..._filaments_on/

    She also recommends a cleansing oil, that I am not sure of however. Read all the comments so you get a good view of how you should do it and test spot.

    I will report back.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    79
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spilihp View Post
    Yes I do. I don't think the product is that harsh so I think its OK.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty..._filaments_on/

    She also recommends a cleansing oil, that I am not sure of however. Read all the comments so you get a good view of how you should do it and test spot.

    I will report back.
    Couldn't find the edit button so I am just quoting myself, I read here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty...ous_filaments/
    That BHA+oil cleansing seems to do the trick in the comments, I dunno

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Spilihp, I didn't see any mention of using shale oil shampoo on the face.

    The links you posted were ones I've read before and are good links.

    There are TONS of posts on sebaceous filaments on reddit and great info. I'm shocked no one else on here spread this information before. I was completely in the dark on sebaceous filaments until a couple of weeks ago.

    My skin is doing great with this approach.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    79
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Spilihp, I didn't see any mention of using shale oil shampoo on the face.

    The links you posted were ones I've read before and are good links.

    There are TONS of posts on sebaceous filaments on reddit and great info. I'm shocked no one else on here spread this information before. I was completely in the dark on sebaceous filaments until a couple of weeks ago.

    My skin is doing great with this approach.
    That's great to hear.

    No, I use the shale oil against the seborrhea. By the way, do you think you had any seborrhea, where there any flaking where hair grew? Maybe sebaceous filaments do that as well?

    I am thinking of using only cleansing+BHA+Cerave PM, doing the BHA once per day and the others twice.

Similar Threads

  1. Over-active sebaceous glands...
    By Gabranth in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th August 2012, 10:41 AM
  2. Sebaceous Cysts
    By Brighteyes in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th January 2009, 05:31 AM
  3. accutane and sebaceous hyperplasia
    By dreamz in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27th December 2005, 11:20 PM
  4. papules or sebaceous hyperplasia?
    By crescent moon in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd December 2005, 02:15 AM
  5. IPL settings and Sebaceous Glands
    By bodhi2 in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd June 2005, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •