Thread: Just started minocycline 100mg a day

Default Just started minocycline 100mg a day

Hi all, I just started minocycline 100mg a day because I suffer from p+p caused by Rosacea. My gp gave me metrogel about 2 months ago which helps heal them when they pop up but doesn't do anything to prevent. So I went back to my gp and wanted Oracea but he suggested I start with mino 100mg a day for a month to bring it under control and then switch over. So day 1 I took my pill at night, too eager to start treatment. Then next morning I took my second pill. Overall my scars seemed to fade a little but I noticed I was getting the beginning of a sore bump on my chin. I hoped that the antibiotic would nip it in the bud but it's not the case. Thing morning it's bigger and angrier than it was yesterday. I took my third dose this morning, but I hope it's not an indication this medicine is not going to work for me I'm pretty discouraged, just days before Christmas. I really hope the mino kicks in and makes this ugly thing disappear! How long does it take usually?

Mimocycline works on skin but it takes time , I was on it for 6 months , also it kills the good bacteria in your stomach , so you should drink a cup of Kefir one hour after taking the pill to replace the good bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Patflat71 View Post
    Hi all, I just started minocycline 100mg a day because I suffer from p+p caused by Rosacea. My gp gave me metrogel about 2 months ago which helps heal them when they pop up but doesn't do anything to prevent. So I went back to my gp and wanted Oracea but he suggested I start with mino 100mg a day for a month to bring it under control and then switch over. So day 1 I took my pill at night, too eager to start treatment. Then next morning I took my second pill. Overall my scars seemed to fade a little but I noticed I was getting the beginning of a sore bump on my chin. I hoped that the antibiotic would nip it in the bud but it's not the case. Thing morning it's bigger and angrier than it was yesterday. I took my third dose this morning, but I hope it's not an indication this medicine is not going to work for me I'm pretty discouraged, just days before Christmas. I really hope the mino kicks in and makes this ugly thing disappear! How long does it take usually?
    It will take a few days at least.

Thanks guys, it's a little better today. I manage to drain it when I got home last night (pricked with a needle and squeeze!) then I alternated between ice and warm tea bag. Before bed I put a giant blob of neosporin covered with a band aid and it has flattened a bit by morning. At least now it's a pimple and not a cyst the size of my knuckle. I will repeat the same treatment tonight. There is hope this might be just a red scar by Christmas which I can cover with makeup. Everything else seems ok, no new bumps this morning so fingers crossed!

Just an update to let you know that I have taken the mino for one month as prescribed, combined with metro gel. It got better and better as the weeks went by and (knock on wood) my skin's been 100% clear for a couple of weeks now. I went back to my doc and he put me on Apprilon - today is day 1 so I really hope that I don't have a breakout from switching. He gave me 3 months worth saying he was under the impression I was not supposed to be on it long term, that I had to take a break from it after a while and then get back on it. I think what I'm gonna do is take it every day for the first month, then every second day for the next 2 months and then every third day for the next three months. I read somewhere that other people did that and it kept things under control. Wish me luck!

Default Doxycycline

One of the biggest issues I've had with my dermatologist is prescribing antibiotics for more than a month. I understand the drawback from being on it long-term, however for me when I come off of Doxycycline, my skin goes haywire and is painful and Peels etc..The doxy completely makes it go away, flushing and all. So I've questioned, is it worth it to be on it long-term for my mental health and well being of my skin, and I say yes lol. My dermatologist as had me try the same thing, switching to Orracea, it never works for me but may be good for you! Good luck.