Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Cider Vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by in_hollywood View Post
    ACV is better for you when you drink it, as it eases your G.I. tract, which in many cases is the cause of your rosacea.
    Thank you, in_hollywood!
    I have been drinking it (diluted with warm water and honey), but it hasn't done anything for my skin. That said, I have not been consistent about doing it every day. By any chance, do you know how much to take? I've read so many different articles that recommend everything from one TBSP to three TBSPs 3x a day.

Also, is it possible that by drinking it And using it as a toner, it may be too much?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Carly1981 View Post
    So I guess diving into the Korean 16-step skin care regime would not be a good idea.
    I've been reading about double cleansing (washing with oil, followed by a gentle cream cleanser). Have you, or anyone else on the forum, tried this method?
    I haven't... I've tried the Oil Cleansing Method, and it works quite well for me. My usual cleansing method is a gentle cream cleanser removed with cotton pads - sometimes I spray the pads with Avene water. I do usually apply and remove cleanser twice, so I guess that's kind of double cleansing. I think thorough (but gentle) cleansing helps, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Callah View Post
    I haven't... I've tried the Oil Cleansing Method, and it works quite well for me. My usual cleansing method is a gentle cream cleanser removed with cotton pads - sometimes I spray the pads with Avene water. I do usually apply and remove cleanser twice, so I guess that's kind of double cleansing. I think thorough (but gentle) cleansing helps, for me.
    Thanks for the info!
    I've read that oil cleansers are good for all skin types (even if you have acne). Does your skin feel 'heavy' after cleaning with oil? I'm not sure what's going on with my face right now, but it's an odd mix of errant pimples (something I've never had an issue with before) and dry skin. I'm kind of on the fence about cleaning with oil, despite all the great reviews. That said, I think it's supposed restore your skins natural moisture balance; something acv also claims to do, but oil sounds like a kinder way to go about it.

If I cleanse with oil, what I do is gently massage in the oil, then remove with a wash cloth and warm or tepid water. The wash cloth means my face is left feeling clean, not at all oily. In fact sometimes it feels a little dry, and then I might use a little of the oil to moisturise (or just my usual moisturiser). If my skin goes through a dry phase it can help to make sure there are 'good fats' in the diet - sometimes I take supplements like fish oil/evening primrose oil to alleviate dry skin/eyes.

If I cleanse with oil, what I do is gently massage in the oil, then remove with a wash cloth and warm or tepid water. The wash cloth means my face is left feeling clean, not at all oily. In fact sometimes it feels a little dry, and then I might use a little of the oil to moisturise (or just my usual moisturiser). If my skin goes through a dry phase it can help to make sure there are 'good fats' in the diet - sometimes I take supplements like fish oil/evening primrose oil to alleviate dry skin/eyes.
    I have primrose oil supplements saved on my Amazon wish-list - it's good to know real people with rocasea are actually using it! I'll definitely look into oil cleansing now, too. Thank you.

One other thing; despite the breakout, my skin feels rough to the touch while washing. Has your skin become noticeably softer with the oil? I feel like anything I put on my skin right now isn't absorbing because of that rough barrier - something an exfoliator would help, but, alas...

I Hate rosacea!

Hi,

My skin tends more towards oiliness than dryness, so I'm probably not best placed to advise. Oil can feel like it sits on the skin - I sort of know what you mean there - so it could be that a cream moisturiser would be better for you. If you want to try cleansing/moisturising with oil only, then I'd say it's worth giving it a week or so, but if your skin is getting drier or worse in some other way, try something else?

I do think dry skin can be tackled from inside as well as out, by ensuring an adequate intake of essential fatty acids through diet or supplements and also by drinking plenty of water. Even though I'm a bit sceptical when I hear we should all be drinking 2 litres of water every day, or whatever, I can't deny that upping my water intake always improves my skin to some degree, and quite quickly too.

Calla

Hi,

My skin tends more towards oiliness than dryness, so I'm probably not best placed to advise. Oil can feel like it sits on the skin - I sort of know what you mean there - so it could be that a cream moisturiser would be better for you. If you want to try cleansing/moisturising with oil only, then I'd say it's worth giving it a week or so, but if your skin is getting drier or worse in some other way, try something else?

I do think dry skin can be tackled from inside as well as out, by ensuring an adequate intake of essential fatty acids through diet or supplements and also by drinking plenty of water. Even though I'm a bit sceptical when I hear we should all be drinking 2 litres of water every day, or whatever, I can't deny that upping my water intake always improves my skin to some degree, and quite quickly too.

Calla
    I received a sample of DHC's deep cleansing oil in the mail - Wow!! It was a small sample so I could only use it last night and this morning, but my skin is so soft! That rough, flaky texture around my cheeks is almost gone. It felt very wrong to rub oil all over my face, but it must somehow pull out all the build up underneath the skin's surface. I followed it with Eucerin's redness relief cleanser (and Oil of Olay moisturizer for sensitive skin).

My skin is less red and the rosacea acne (I hate the world pustules), seems to have calmed down. I'm almost afraid to order an entire bottle, in case this was just a fluke. Anyway, thank you for making me brave enough to even try this method. When my other cleansers run out, I *think* I'll buy an oil cleanser.

Generally it is best to use 1 tablespoon of ACV to a 12 ounce glass of water and drink it. Using it as a topical may irritate your skin as you found out.

Rosaceans are divided into dry or oily skin. I doubt if any rosacean falls into normal skin (what is normal skin for a rosacean?). Of course, the dry skin rosaceans are looking for the perfect moisturizer that doesn't irritate the rosacea, while the oily skin rosaceans avoid moisturizers since moisturizers seem to keep the heat on the skin and cause more discomfort than help. Oily skin rosaceans want to remove the oil.

As for cleansers, rosaceans try all sorts of cleansers and it depends on your skin type, oil or dry. Cleansers can irritate your sensitive rosacea skin, so some report just using water to wash the face (usually cool water). If you find a cleanser that works for you it may prove helpful if you report your findings. I simply use a mild soap like ivory when my skin is dirty, but mostly just use cool water since I find soap irritates my skin.

Of course, this is simply my observations having dealing with rosacea for over thirty two years. You will find what works for you in time.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Carly1981 View Post
    Thank you, Callah.
    What threw me was the fact that my skin actually seemed to improve during the first week I was using acv. However, I was outside shoveling for three days in bitterly cold conditions (without covering my face...because I thought wool to irritate my skin), I ran out of the moisturizer I'd been using for several months, and the heat was turned up - combined with acv, maybe it was just a perfect storm for angry skin.

Speaking of coconut oil, I started using it, sparingly, on my face...maybe that contributed to the break out, too. *ugh* Seriously, rosacea, go away! :p
    Coconut oil, despite its current popularity, is quite comedogenic compared to some other oils so it can clog pores and cause breakouts in some people. I would guess that was more of the problem for you than the acv because you had been using the acv and seeing improvement until that change.

If you do decide to try oil cleansing I would advise trying a different less comedogenic oil. Not to scare you off of it, but I believe oil cleansing may have contributed to my developing type 2 rosacea. I had been ill and my skin had become very very dry though I had always had a tendency toward oily skin and had never used moisturizer. I decided to try some ayurvedic recipes for oil cleanser appropriate to my skin type and it was right after I changed my skin care routine that P&Ps started to multiply. I think the oil altered the microbial community on my face and this change in routine coupled with my compromised immune system created the perfect conditions for the papules to develop. Now I tend to use gentle cream cleansers with some oils and botanical extracts and it works well for me.