Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleared up my type 1 Rosacea (flushing red nose)

Default Cleared up my type 1 Rosacea (flushing red nose)

I have had flushing and swelling (caused by the flushing) on my nose for around 7 years (no pustules or pastules). Tried antibiotics, Soolantra, metrogel etc, nothing worked, every treatment has had absolutely zero effect.
    Two months ago the GP I am seeing prescribed me an ointment containing Ketamine 0.5% and Amitriptyline 1%. Withing 3 days of using it twice a day the flushing disappered and my skin is white, the same as it was before Rosacea. It has been the same ever since for the last two months. I can eat, excersie, go out in the sun and nothing will bring on a flush.
    If anyone has this subtye and nothing has worked have a look into this, I have no side affects(the GP said it is very safe as the amount of active ingredients is too low and it's not absored systemically).
    I am not sure which or if both of the ingredients are working. I have since learned that topical Ketamine behaves as an anti-inflammatory by acting on Toll-like receptor (TLRs), which leads to down regulation of proinflammatory gene expression.

Great news! I've never heard of this ointment...is there a name for it pharmaceutically so I can bring it up with my dermatologist? Also, doe it help with flushing or only redness?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy_33 View Post
    Great news! I've never heard of this ointment...is there a name for it pharmaceutically so I can bring it up with my dermatologist? Also, doe it help with flushing or only redness?
    The packaging has no branding, it was made in a compounding pharmacy. He said he has found it helpful going back years for patients with Erythromelalgia and it was worth trying for my Rosacea as nothing else worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansm View Post
    The packaging has no branding, it was made in a compounding pharmacy. He said he has found it helpful going back years for patients with Erythromelalgia and it was worth trying for my Rosacea as nothing else worked.
    This is awesome. Thank you. I'll definitely ask my doctor about it.

I have had flushing and swelling (caused by the flushing) on my nose for around 7 years (no pustules or pastules). Tried antibiotics, Soolantra, metrogel etc, nothing worked, every treatment has had absolutely zero effect.
    Two months ago the GP I am seeing prescribed me an ointment containing Ketamine 0.5% and Amitriptyline 1%. Withing 3 days of using it twice a day the flushing disappered and my skin is white, the same as it was before Rosacea. It has been the same ever since for the last two months. I can eat, excersie, go out in the sun and nothing will bring on a flush.
    If anyone has this subtye and nothing has worked have a look into this, I have no side affects(the GP said it is very safe as the amount of active ingredients is too low and it's not absored systemically).
    I am not sure which or if both of the ingredients are working. I have since learned that topical Ketamine behaves as an anti-inflammatory by acting on Toll-like receptor (TLRs), which leads to down regulation of proinflammatory gene expression.
    This is really interesting, Dean. I googled and found reference to a study about this topical for erythromelalgia. The ointment seems to be for the pain (versus redness).

I have type 1 rosacea, too. Flushing and permanent redness.

Dean, you mentioned that your skin color is back to normal (pre-rosacea). So did you also have permanent redness? Or just the redness that comes on temporarily when you flushed?

I guess I'm wondering if the ointment returned your vessels to normal - constricted them back.

I wonder if the ingredients work because they address nerve pain. Nerves can stimulate our flushing. Eg, nerves release acetylcholine, a chemical that tells our vessels to dialate.

Would love to try this but I don't see how I'd convince my GP to prescribe this to me seeing as how it's not a standard treatment for rosacea.

Hi Deansm, this is great news and I'm glad to hear you've found something that works. Can you tell me where you live? I can't see my UK gp agreeing to this either! I would love to give it a try (I'll try anything once!) Has anyone else come across this treatment? Thanks, Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    Hi Deansm, this is great news and I'm glad to hear you've found something that works. Can you tell me where you live? I can't see my UK gp agreeing to this either! I would love to give it a try (I'll try anything once!) Has anyone else come across this treatment? Thanks, Emma
    I'm from Wales, I don't see any reason why it could not be prescribed in the other UK countries (The only problem I can think of is Scotland/Wales/England having separate devolved NHS bodies and rules etc).

It probably is completely up to the GP, how many treatments you have already tried etc. He told me the ointment reduced redness and flushing on patients with Erythromelalgia(no idea what this was). I never expected this to work as every other treatment he presvribed (Soolantra, Antibiotics, Metrogel) has either done nothing or even made my Rosacea worse.

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    This is really interesting, Dean. I googled and found reference to a study about this topical for erythromelalgia. The ointment seems to be for the pain (versus redness).

I have type 1 rosacea, too. Flushing and permanent redness.

Dean, you mentioned that your skin color is back to normal (pre-rosacea). So did you also have permanent redness? Or just the redness that comes on temporarily when you flushed?

I guess I'm wondering if the ointment returned your vessels to normal - constricted them back.

I wonder if the ingredients work because they address nerve pain. Nerves can stimulate our flushing. Eg, nerves release acetylcholine, a chemical that tells our vessels to dialate.
    My Rosacea started (I was 24) as a sudden huge flareup (huge flushing episode) on my nose when I went to bed one night. I had never blushed or flushed on my nose before that first flareup.
    Ever since every night without fail I would have a flareup when I went to bed. Through the day I had one or two flareups and my nose was sensitive to flushing but not as bad as in the night. After each flare up it would take around 2-3 hours for my skin to return normalish in colour but there was always a slight pink hue on my nose. The worse symptom of all is the nose swelling for around 7 hours when I sleep and waking up every morning with a swollen nose.
    The flushing has stopped now and that stopped the swelling. My nose still looks a bit swollen but it's slowly going down now(2 months so far).

Deansm, thanks for the post. This really needs to be spread about so that we have others who confirm it works for them. I have posted this here.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi