View Poll Results: What do you think of coconut oil?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrible, never use it on your face

0 0%
  • Great, helpful, calming

1 50.00%
  • Be careful

1 50.00%

Thread: Natural/Organic Skin Care

Default Natural/Organic Skin Care

Everyone's experience will oils or plant extracts on their face for cleansing is different. For some, chamomile irritates their skin and for others it's calming. Some people have reported horrible break outs from using the oil cleansing method with coconut oil while others said it was life changing. Some other people say that the reactions to organic coconut oil are detox symptoms. There are many more comparisons that I'm very curious about. Everyone reacts differently and it helps us learn through observation. We should also take information and filter it on our own to see figure out what we really believe.

Now I know coconut oil is comedogenic. I am not a health crazed person, but I do try to eat healthy sometimes. I have been using drug store skin care products ever since I was a teen. I also remember I would go days without washing my face as a young teen and didn't have too much problems. I'm sure I would flush but didn't notice it until later as an 18 year old. then I became a vegan (well I adopted a plant based diet) before turning 19 and then started to see my skin getting worse. I would have the p&ps. I can't really complain though. I don't have extremely tragic skin but it sure isn't what I wish it could be. I don't even mind the blushing, but the acne just raises my stress levels. I wish it was easy not to care about acne. I don't want to come off as shallow. I don't judge others. I just judge myself and I'm a bad critic to myself in many aspects.

I know the the drug store products weren't that great and I also made the mistake of using "natural" remedies for my skin. By that I mean that I would put straight up lemon, Apple cider vinegar, water+sugar, and many more irritating things. I did once use coconut oil under my eyes and a tiny pimple formed the next day under my eye where my pores started. Apparently the Shea Moisture African black soap isn't real black soap. It made my skin dry and irritated, perhaps along with the apple cider vinegar that I didn't even dilute. Smart move, me. I was told by a random person who I bought a necklace from at the beach to try Dudu oson African black soap. I saw my pimples burn and they seemed to be getting killed. Still a bit irritating and drying. It also had fragrance like the Shea Moisture soap. So I didn't continue using it.

Sorry if this is becoming a long or confusing read. I am just sharing my experience with that. Also I did try putting green tea on my face and it made my face red and irritated. I have tried "raw honey" (I'm not sure if it truly was raw but have read raw honey take many different forms) and it didn't cause any problems. When I first started using honey (can't say I'm vegan but theres a debate whether it is vegan or not, probably not) it killed a forming cystic pimple and helped it disappear. I'm not sure but it also seems to help reduce marks but I have new ones (trying to pinpoint what exactly caused my breakouts.)

For some, drugstore cleansers such as cetaphil works while for others natural remedies are best. I have looked at the ingredients of the drug store products recommended for rosacea but it seems weird to me because of the alcohols and irritants in both of those cleansers. I want to look for new skin care.

I forgot to mention I don't wear sunscreen, I just only try to go out when it's completely necessary or I look at the UV index (it gets up to 11 or something in the summers here.) I really want to look for a sunscreen that will not cause a reaction. I'm very weary of chemical sunscreen and mineral sunscreen is also somewhat intimidating to me. I did order an Elta MD UV Clear sample, but that was a week ago. Now I'm wondering if that is a good idea to try that because I seem to react to butylene glycol even if it has a very low comedogenic rating. Needless to say, I'm questioning a lot of things.

Anyway, I recently discovered this skin care line called "Luminance." It's apparently vegan and man-made-chemical-free. I want to buy a sample first. The main ingredients are oils.

Saponified Oils
    Coconut
    Macadamia
    Almond
    Avocado
    Grape Seed
    Nutrient Oils To Adjust pH
    Borage
    Sun Flower
    Grape Seed
    Jojoba
    Almond
    Avocado
    Rosemary Seed
    Waters
    RO Filtered Water

I'm very curious if this is a good move to make. The coconut oil part is making my eye twitch, haha. I know I should watch what I eat. I cannot see a doctor let alone a derm because I do not have insurance. I have been trying to do my own research. I'm not sure if I really want to try this "natural skin care." I am weary because the most of the reviews I can find are all 5 stars and it seems too good to be true that I feel that perhaps bad ratings have been deleted. I do seem to have sensitive skin but my face does not react badly to the alcohols in the aveeno. I kind of want to try the rose water toner from Luminance. It's just organic rose water. I am gravitating towards it I've always want to use rose water. I have tried using the De La Cruz Rose water and glycerin and it was quite nice actually. However, it's probably discontinued.

I'm too scared to try medications, but even if I could try them I don't have insurance ready nor that kind of money. I'm also way too nervous for a derm to judge my skin and recommend awful products like cetaphil or meds that will worse my p&ps.

Just wanted to let some thoughts out that have been making me really curious about all that we know.
    I'd love to hear someone else's opinion. If I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Am I being dramatic in any way? Do I care about the appearance of my skin too much? I know I'm not the only one is stresses over their skin.

I've also been going on cosdna.com

Luminance Delicate cleanser:
    https://luminanceskincare.com/collec...iant=375589951

Hey, that post was sooo long!

I'd advise you to definitely go to a subreddit called Skincareaddiction or check out blog justaboutskin.com to understand more how skin works, how products work, what's hype and what's not. Read all the basic info there! It's been a great help for me. I think it is a MUST for anyone to know this stuff when they're battling skin issues! It will help you stop the confusion. Knowledge is power

Cetaphil and drugstore stuff mostly isn't evil at all and definitely don't buy into the natural-organic-vegan-blabla skin care. Chemicals aren't all bad!
    I think it's totally fine to worry about your skin when it's not fine. It isn't just a cosmetic issue, it's also health! I think skin is very important because it's literally the only thing protecting you from the environment! I've had really damaged skin and, boy, did I realise I had taken it for granted so much before.

That cleanser you got there doesn't seem to be bad. It has no fragrance, right pH, no irritants. It only contains oils though so you'll have to get it off somehow since it doesn't rinse with water.

Quote Originally Posted by elegantsquatlobster View Post
    Hey, that post was sooo long!

I'd advise you to definitely go to a subreddit called Skincareaddiction or check out blog justaboutskin.com to understand more how skin works, how products work, what's hype and what's not. Read all the basic info there! It's been a great help for me. I think it is a MUST for anyone to know this stuff when they're battling skin issues! It will help you stop the confusion. Knowledge is power

Cetaphil and drugstore stuff mostly isn't evil at all and definitely don't buy into the natural-organic-vegan-blabla skin care. Chemicals aren't all bad!
    I think it's totally fine to worry about your skin when it's not fine. It isn't just a cosmetic issue, it's also health! I think skin is very important because it's literally the only thing protecting you from the environment! I've had really damaged skin and, boy, did I realise I had taken it for granted so much before.

That cleanser you got there doesn't seem to be bad. It has no fragrance, right pH, no irritants. It only contains oils though so you'll have to get it off somehow since it doesn't rinse with water.
    Thank you so much for your response! I'll definitely check those pages out to expand my knowledge on skin care. I still want to keep a simple routine. Right now there's not much sun so I have time to look for a sunscreen. I should work on organizing my thoughts and keeping my point short and sweet. I really want to repair my acid mantle. I have ordered sample sets from two different companies: Boscia and Luminance. One is made with some more synthetic chemicals compared to the other (seemingly). I'm trying to keep an open mind and not rush into anything new. Thanks again!

Hello there.

I feel sorry for you not being able to see a derm... I live in Sweden, here we have free healthcare..
    However, you seem to have the problem I have p&p and some redness. I recently got Rosacea and didn't know what was wrong.

I could barely touch my face, not take a shower, not get hot or anything. My face was just so itchy!
    If you have Rosacea, you have a chronic inflammation in your skin. Threat it!

Quickest solution for me was Finacea. Anti-inflammatory. Works for both Rosacea and Acne. So whatever it is you have, it do wonders.
    Talk to a doctor and see if they can prescribe it. Also - was your face daily. Just get a mild cream, don't use hot water. Then a good moisturiser.

Btw: my inflammation is gone, atleast when I use Finacea. Now I can take showers again. Don't have any P&Ps and my redness is barely visible.
    I now use tea tree oil with argan oil (20/80 mix) as it should kill demodex mites that is usually worse with people who has Rosacea.

They die in your pores and give you p&p. You need to destroy them, and keep on using this mix. Gets worse then better.
    Last edited by kwamex; 5th December 2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwamex View Post
    Hello there.

I feel sorry for you not being able to see a derm... I live in Sweden, here we have free healthcare..
    However, you seem to have the problem I have p&p and some redness. I recently got Rosacea and didn't know what was wrong.

I could barely touch my face, not take a shower, not get hot or anything. My face was just so itchy!
    If you have Rosacea, you have a chronic inflammation in your skin. Threat it!

Quickest solution for me was Finacea. Anti-inflammatory. Works for both Rosacea and Acne. So whatever it is you have, it do wonders.
    Talk to a doctor and see if they can prescribe it. Also - was your face daily. Just get a mild cream, don't use hot water. Then a good moisturiser.

Btw: my inflammation is gone, atleast when I use Finacea. Now I can take showers again. Don't have any P&Ps and my redness is barely visible.
    I now use tea tree oil with argan oil (20/80 mix) as it should kill demodex mites that is usually worse with people who has Rosacea.

They die in your pores and give you p&p. You need to destroy them, and keep on using this mix. Gets worse then better.
    Hi thanks!!! I cannot se a doctor right now but I signed up for curology. It's an online dermatologist and costs way less than an in person dermatologist here. It's pretty interesting so far. My derm nurse prescribed 4% azelaic acid (ingredient in finacea?) 1% clindamycin 4% niacinamide topical. I wonder what will happen! Thanks for the suggestion! Glad you found something that's working for you! Wishing you the best on your journey of rosacea!