Thread: Rosacea bump or acne nodule ?

Default Rosacea bump or acne nodule ?

Hi i'm having trouble figuring out whether my issue is acne or rosacea related ?
    I have rosacea, 100%, but I don't get small p&p's instead i'll get the occasional welt once a month or so. I have mild acne elsewhere on my face but use acne products to treat it. I can't use anything on my t zone because if i do it makes my rosacea worse.

Are these welts related to rosacea or are they acne, or is it a combination of acne which then becomes more inflamed due to rosacea ?

Could someone look at my pics and let me know what they think ?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by greener66 View Post
    Hi i'm having trouble figuring out whether my issue is acne or rosacea related ?
    I have rosacea, 100%, but I don't get small p&p's instead i'll get the occasional welt once a month or so. I have mild acne elsewhere on my face but use acne products to treat it. I can't use anything on my t zone because if i do it makes my rosacea worse.

Are these welts related to rosacea or are they acne, or is it a combination of acne which then becomes more inflamed due to rosacea ?

Could someone look at my pics and let me know what they think ?
    Looks like a papule to me rather than acne. Do they come to a head? If not, likely a papule.

Quote Originally Posted by lwemm View Post
    Looks like a papule to me rather than acne. Do they come to a head? If not, likely a papule.
    No they rarely come to a head. They're typically large and they hurt though. As well sometimes I can see puss in them ?

Quote Originally Posted by greener66 View Post
    No they rarely come to a head. They're typically large and they hurt though. As well sometimes I can see puss in them ?
    The differences between rosacea papules and cystic acne for me were location on the face-- papules were clustered on the cheeks where as cystic acne was on my chin or sides of mouth where the skin was less dry--, the papules were drier, flatter and even thought they seemed to be more of raised bump on the surface than the acne which often was deeper, they never came to head. They also never seemed to change or go away once they were there and would only multiply until I started treating them and got them all to go away. The cystic acne bumps, on the other hand, though they might not ever get to the surface enough to come to a head, would more quickly subside again leaving a more normal skin appearance where they had been afterward and were clearly more linked to my hormone cycle. The surface of the acne bumps was less red and dry than the papules. Both the papules and the acne bumps hurt but the acne if it was really large and deep it hurt more, I'd say, and felt full and hard because of the pus in there.

Since everyone is individual I am not sure if you can relate to any of my above description but that was how I could tell the difference. With sensitive rosacea skin I would be hesitant to use acne products anywhere on my face as they are so harsh. A gentle product with zinc might help both acne and rosacea. I used to use a handmade cream and calamine for that. I also have fewer problems with acne since taking a zinc supplement as it turned out my zinc levels are low.