Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe facial burning

Default Severe facial burning

Hi. I am writing because my daughter has been suffering from severe facial burning for the past two weeks. She has actually been dealing with facial flushing and heat since July and seeing a naturopathic doctor who obviously didn't take her facial flushing as seriously as she should have. Even her ears turn a bright apple red. Now it is extreme. Is there anyone out there who can guide us to a doctor who is skilled with severe risacea in New York? My daughter sits in front of a fan all day in a cold room and can not do anything else. Last Thursday she went to a dermatologist who did a laser treatment in her. It did not make it better. Her skin around her eyes actually swelled and burned more and her nose got redder and burned more too. We don't know where to turn for help. Her primary care physician sent us to the dermatologist. What kind of doctor do you see for this? She is really suffering and only 23 years old. Any direction that anyone can offer will be so gratefully appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SEF View Post
    Hi. I am writing because my daughter has been suffering from severe facial burning for the past two weeks. She has actually been dealing with facial flushing and heat since July and seeing a naturopathic doctor who obviously didn't take her facial flushing as seriously as she should have. Even her ears turn a bright apple red. Now it is extreme. Is there anyone out there who can guide us to a doctor who is skilled with severe risacea in New York? My daughter sits in front of a fan all day in a cold room and can not do anything else. Last Thursday she went to a dermatologist who did a laser treatment in her. It did not make it better. Her skin around her eyes actually swelled and burned more and her nose got redder and burned more too. We don't know where to turn for help. Her primary care physician sent us to the dermatologist. What kind of doctor do you see for this? She is really suffering and only 23 years old. Any direction that anyone can offer will be so gratefully appreciated.
    May I suggest that she tries low histamine diet and avoid nightshades ? Taking vitamin C in divided doses throughout the day helps too. It's better that vitamin C is just in pure ascorbic acid form, without additives and bioflavonoids. Drinking ginger tea may help too ( pour boiling water over chopped fresh ginger root, steep and drink throughout the day). Also, it is possible she is reacting to something in her environment (dust mites, pet dander,mold spores, etc.).Think about eliminating such pollutants ( air cleaner?). Also, if air dryness is a problem, humidifier might help.

Thank you Songbird!

What topical s has she tried? Any antibiotics? Low carb, no sugar diet? I got this at around her age, mostly around the eyes. Doxycycline 100 mg per day, Soolantra (topical) and a low carb diet (no dairy though) helped.

Hi Faith,

She has been on a gluten-dairy-sugar free diet for 7 months now. She does have gastro issues and has problems digesting many things - so her weight is low. She has Raynaud's disease. She was put on 5 days of a slow release form of doxycycline. She takes atarax to reduce the swelling when it gets really bad - sometimes twice a day - which I know is not good. I am so concerned that the Cutera laser treatment made things worse - although it was pretty bad when she got the treatment. It was done at a well known NYC dermatologists office. He promised it was for sensitive skin and extremely safe and that this was a very successfully rated treatment for rosacea. He said it was best to try this then use dangerous drugs - but then put her on doxycycline for 5 days after treatment. I wanted to go home and investigate, but my daughter was in such extreme pain, she begged to get it done and get out of her misery. Her face is still swelled after a week under her eyes. Some people have said it takes time to return to base line. It did not help with her painful, hot flushing and swelling though. That persists. She rinses her face with water and puts jojoba oil on it to treat the dryness and tightness she experiences. She sits in a cool room (outdoor door open - 30 degree weather!) , shades down with a wet cool rag on face 24/7 on couch.

Faith. Was your condition as bad as my daughter's? Have you found complete relief with your treatments?
    Thank you for your reply.

Very sorry to hear your daughter suffers so badly with the flushing. Has the naturopath got her on any treatments to help the digestive problems? I used to flush (not as badly as your daughter but it was building due to food sensitivities, eggs in particular) and had a lot of digestive discomfort until I saw a naturopath who did an expanded stool test. I had an imbalance of gut bacteria-- low levels of the good guys, some yeast and high levels of pathogenic species. And I have numerous mineral and vitamin deficiencies probably due to malabsorption because of the bacterial imbalance. We worked on restoring the balance using herbs and probiotics because I was getting sensitive to many antibiotics and because my history of antibiotic use, which incidentally probably was not as frequent as some people's, likely led to the imbalance. Now a couple years later my sensitivity to the various foods I could not tolerate before is almost entirely gone. If her current naturopath is no good, perhaps look for another and work on the digestive part of the problem. Many people find it is a key part of the puzzle. Also make sure she gets screened for any diseases that mimic rosacea flushing. Best of luck to you both. You are a sweet mom to be supporting your daughter so much through this and acknowledging her real pain and suffering!

Iwemm- Thank you for all your helpful and thoughtful replies.

Do you think that her getting one session of laser will do her harm? I am so concerned that she got it done against my advise - but the poor thing was in pain. It seems to be getting closer to her base line, but the flushing and swelling is still happening. I am concerned that she will always have to be careful of being in the sun. And that it may influence her flushing recovery. Do you know if anyone who has gotten it done by a dermatologist and recovered in spite of trying it once?

Thank you for your support.

By the sounds of things, my skin is not nearly as bad, but it affects my eyes pretty chronically. The low carb diet helps, along with the doxy and the Soolantra. I am not in a remission no. I have been though before so tell your daughter there is hope! I just have a hard time sticking to the diet. I don't ever go off Paleo but sometimes I'll eat to many carbs in the form of plantains or sweet potatoes. Im getting my hormones tested though because I always flare "around that time" -sorry if you are male lol but it does affect me.

Faith,

Did you have any laser treatments? I'm sorry to beat a dead horse. She has sensitive skin - as most people on this forum do - and I'm wondering how she will do long term after having gotten it done once. She's a week out almost - and her face is still flushing really red. Just want to know that know that laser treatment diesntvtypically cause lasting damage and that her skin can heal in time. Thank you.

I've had laser treatments done but not many. Not sure if it helped or not. So her skin never calms down?