Thread: Alternative Occlusives For Seborrheic Dermatitis, Dehydrated Skin... Need Help

Default Alternative Occlusives For Seborrheic Dermatitis, Dehydrated Skin... Need Help

Hi everyone,

6 months ago I dehydrated my skin due to the use of a harsh foaming cleanser. I had a normal skin type and this cleanser was just too stripping. By the time I stopped using it after 3 weeks, my skin had become tighter. Since my skin is dehydrated, it is dry underneath, but producing oil to compensate for the lack of moisture. This excess oil has led to my seborrheic dermatitis flaring up more often.

I have been trying to hydrate my skin through the use of Hada Labo hyaluronic acid serum and a moisturizer on top to seal it in. The two moisturizers I've tried have not done a good enough job to seal the moisture in that the hyaluronic acid grabs from the air.

Typically when hydrating skin people use petrolatum jelly or oils, as they are great occlusives. The process usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to heal your skin.

I'm confident that once I heal my skin, it will return to normal. Prior to all this, my seborrheic dermatitis never flared up, it would only come on the sides of my nose very infrequently and would go away on its own. I didn't even know I had seborrheic dermatitis, that should tell you how little this condition affected me.

If anyone has any recommendations for occlusive products or ingredients that I could use to help heal my skin, while not causing the seborrheic dermatitis to flare up, please let me know.

Thank you so much.

Well, you already seem to get it.. The best occlusive is petroleum jelly also known as vaseline. You can sleep with it at night to prevent moisture loss! I'm just not sure what your exact question is you already seem to know what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by elegantsquatlobster View Post
    Well, you already seem to get it.. The best occlusive is petroleum jelly also known as vaseline. You can sleep with it at night to prevent moisture loss! I'm just not sure what your exact question is you already seem to know what to do!
    Woops, I completely forgot to add this in... Due to my seborrheic dermatitis, I cannot use petrolatum jelly.

Why can't you use it on seb derm? Is it exactly vaseline you can't use or all occlusives? Other occlusives that I know of are shea butter and mineral oil but they don't hold in moisture just as well but they're still alright.

Actually, I remembered, there is another occlusive - silicones! You can look into that maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by elegantsquatlobster View Post
    Why can't you use it on seb derm? Is it exactly vaseline you can't use or all occlusives? Other occlusives that I know of are shea butter and mineral oil but they don't hold in moisture just as well but they're still alright.
    From my understanding, vaseline is said to worsen seborrheic dermatitis for people. However, others have also said they have success with it. Even mineral oil. which some suggest irritates their SD, is said to help in controlling their SD. I've learnt its a condition that is different for each person. No one guideline works for everyone.

I've found a product titled vaniply ointment which uses dimethicone and there are no oils or petrolatum, so I'm hoping this won't irritate the SD. *Crossing my fingers*