Thread: tech for mapping veins?

Default tech for mapping veins?

Does anyone know of technology that allows your dr to actually map the veins on your face? I've been trying Vbeam (3 so far--a month apart each) for the intense/painful flushing I have daily. It has improved my overall skin texture/reduced buildup (along with some meds) but it's unclear if it's actually reducing the number of problematic veins I have or (worst nightmare) making even more. And my skin continues to burn all the time--flushing or not. My skin goes from quite pale to deep burning red throughout the day and I'm basically debilitated and homebound by it so I'm anxious to really reduce the veins on my face. My laser dr uses photos of my face, but all they really seem to be able to show is the degree of redness I have at that given moment and the decrease in buildup/pustules on my skin. Is there more sophisticated technology (almost like an Xray--just a thought) to track the decrease or increase of veins on and below the skin?

Some related questions:
    1) Has anyone ever used such tech with Vbeam treatments?

2)Where is it available? I live near Philly, but could also stay with family around NYC or Utah if someone has a dr recommendation.

3) Has anyone found that they get new visible veins while undergoing laser treatment, while still benefiting from it overall? I'm getting very small visible veins on my nose that I know are new (as I do monthly treatments), and perhaps some of my cheek (though harder to tell) but not sure how concerned I should be about this?

Thanks for any advice! I'm desperate to find the proper/best treatment for my severe flushing and meds alone don't seem to be providing enough relief, which is why I'm nervously trying Vbeam at low (non-bruising) settings now.

I don't think anyone anywhere using xray to figure out veins.
    Usually magnifying glass is sufficient to locate larger veins.
    I think, major problem is not to locate vein but to reach and neutralize it safely. If the vein is below certain layer in the skin, it might not be possible to target it.

Hi AEB, the technology you're describing does exist. An astronomy professor at the University of Wisconsin -- Madison invented it about 3 years ago. It's regular photography, and is based on the same technology that creates detailed maps of the stars in space, so astronomers can see the relative location of every visible star.

The astronomy professor was concerned about pre-cancerous skin lesions on his own body, and he was surprised to find that people who wanted to map the moles and sun damaged parts on their bodies, to search for and locate potential changes on their skin, had no accurate medical options. He filed a patent that was granted about 3 years ago.

I don't know the current name or commercial name of this tech' but you might google and find it based on my description above.

I'm a UW-Madison grad and read about this in the alumni magazine. Go Badgers

Default Tech for mapping veins

Thanks Tom! I think this is the tech and professor you read about?

http://news.wisc.edu/astronomy-techn...dly-melanomas/

Pretty amazing stuff. Personally, I'm just surprised there isn't more widespread technology than photos for telling if Vbeam is actually eliminating veins (and not allowing immediate revascularisation--which is something I've discussed concerns about with my medical, non-laser derm). Has anyone been to a Vbeam practitioner with something more exact and objective than photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Hi AEB, the technology you're describing does exist. An astronomy professor at the University of Wisconsin -- Madison invented it about 3 years ago. It's regular photography, and is based on the same technology that creates detailed maps of the stars in space, so astronomers can see the relative location of every visible star.

The astronomy professor was concerned about pre-cancerous skin lesions on his own body, and he was surprised to find that people who wanted to map the moles and sun damaged parts on their bodies, to search for and locate potential changes on their skin, had no accurate medical options. He filed a patent that was granted about 3 years ago.

I don't know the current name or commercial name of this tech' but you might google and find it based on my description above.

I'm a UW-Madison grad and read about this in the alumni magazine. Go Badgers