Thread: Searching for an answer - hypersensitive skin

Default Searching for an answer - hypersensitive skin

Hi all,

I've read on this forum for a long time but yet to post.
    A quick background on me. 33 year old male with type 2 rosacea. My cheeks are a little pink, but not the crazy flushing some talk about on here.
    I've had rosacea since I was I was in my early twenties. I used to get cyst like paps on my right cheek in my early twenties until I found a regimen that worked. I used metrocream in the morning and benzoyl peroxide at night (I have underlying acne as well unfortunately). That cleared me up for several years until a few years back when I noticed that I was getting pustules in roughly the same spot on my right cheek every 2-3 months. It wasn't the end of the world, but I didn't like having them so about a year ago I changed up my routine entirely (which in hindsight was probly the worst mistake of my life). Long story short, when changed my routine my skin flared, so I tried to go back to my original regimen, but unfortunately I guess going off BP allowed my skin to become more sensitive (I think using BP every night for years made my skin tough so it couldn't react as easily), and when I did my skin reacted terribly to the BP, I had lumps everywhere. I went to derm and he indicated I should try soolantra + 100 mg minocycline every night and use aczone as spot treatment. It worked reasonably well for roughly two months until I ran out of minocycline. Then one day i had a small flare and I tried to calm it down using aczone. Unfortunately I think my skin has become ultra sensitive since coming off the BP, and I flared up, this time though it was on my left cheeck and forehead (a place I never had flares before). So i went back to the derm and he gave me 200 mg of minocycline a day plus finacea in the morning and soolantra at night. The finacea was too harsh and caused me to flare up again. So now i'm wondering if i'm flaring up while on heavy antibiotics, am I doomed ?
    I'm going back to Metrocream in the morning and soolantra at night + 200 mg minocycline, hoping the two combined won't be too harsh for my skin as it's become so sensitive I can't put anything on it anymore. Unfortunately as I mentioned I have underlying acne as well, and because I can't use anyhting harsh on my skin any longer it seems I can't treat the acne. I'm thinking my next step would be accutane though i'm pretty scared of that to be honest. My paps aren't like alot of what I see on this forum. They come in as large cystic welts which can last for weeks. Does anyone else have anything like this ? I've included a few pics below as examples (a little blurry sorry). Does anyone experience hypersensitive skin like I have ?
    Attached Images

I should note that I do not flare up in terms of going red when I use finacea/bp etc. I just get big welts.

I get bumps that look similar to yours. In my case they follow a bad flushing episode, a few days later. Once my skin's flared up in this way, it's more prone to flushing, and so a spiral of sensitivity begins. I've actually found Finacea very beneficial, although it stung and itched to begin with (it helps to apply a gentle moisturiser first). Having said that, when my face is at its most sensitive I tend to revert to a super gentle fragrance free oil or moisturiser and little else. I've found milk thistle supplements can also help calm it down.

Quote Originally Posted by greener66 View Post
    I should note that I do not flare up in terms of going red when I use finacea/bp etc. I just get big welts.
    Did you get an initial outbreak or purge when you first started Finacea?

Damn. I hate that I feel some relief just seeing I'm not the only one, because it'd be best if you didn't deal with it either. But I do get the same big, cyst-like spots, in addition to gnarly whiteheads from time to time. Seems like we have similar skin as my redness isn't over the top either. Unfortunately I can't comment much on solutions as I deal with it still at 29. I can say I've had some success with a mixture of clove oil made from Enessa for cystic acne, but it only works best when you find a spot in its early stages before it balloons up. And even then, it's of course only spot treatment. Still, I like to think of it as my miracle salve because when it does work it beats the hell out of having some big red painful lump on your mug for weeks on end.

I wonder if lasers would do our subtype any good...when it's blemishes and not so much the redness/blood vessels.