Thread: 18 year old girl/vegan diet triggered this??

Default 18 year old girl/vegan diet triggered this??

Hi. I've finally decided to join after months of discovering my condition. Oh rosacea. I became a vegan this year in March 2016. It is somewhat of a challenge. In April 2016, about a week in, I started to get rosacea subtype 2 symptoms. I knew that before I would always get flushed when I got extemely nervous (presenting in class) or just trying to seem chill in any social interaction. But I just remember in April 2016 I began to have awful rosacea subtype 2-like symptoms. No i have not been diagnosed. However, I'm 99.99% sure i have rosacea. No one else in my family seems to have this problem. I've always had lighter skin. I am hispanic. I have done a lot of research on this condition and it only keeps making me more nervous. I wish this wouldn't last forever. I noticed that i got rosacea p&p flareups (most of the time papules??) when i ate avocado, vegan mayo (compromised of canola oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds. Before I became vegan I would break out with peanuts/peanut butter, milk, and chocolate. After I became vegan, basically any "overt fat" caused pimply flare ups. Is 18 very young to have these symptoms/condition? It's hurting my emotional health. It just adds more stress and i just started college Im too nervous to apply for jobs. I dont feel good enough. I want to go to therapy and see a dermatologist but i just dont know. Im somewhat hopeless. Oh well. I wonder if anyone else relates. Thanks for your time, if you read this.

***I experienced redness and papules first in april after using "Shea Moisture African Black Soap" and apple cider vinagar. I feel like natural remedies like lemon juice on my face etc contributed to my sensitivity.

I need to find a sunscreen. Im very sensitive to breakouts. I know its very bad that im not wearing sunscreen... ill get on it.

Today i had a bad papular flare up and I put 1% hydrocortisone and some lotion. Helped calm it down. Then took a turmeric supplement for the first time. I try to wash my sheets every week. That helps. Last week my face had been looking better than usual. Then monday came around. 2 cyst like pimples. Pustules and papules. Maybe it was a whole bag of popcorn I basically inhales a few days prior . Olive garden breadsticks. Dont know if anything I had eaten really is correlated to rosacea because I avoid most triggers except almonds. But i love them....sigh. Gut health help? Probiotics? I really want to see a doctor but might not until sometime in november (insurance).

Hello,

It certainly sounds like you have rosacea. A mix of subtype one and two.

It also sounds like you have dysfunctional gut flora, likely SIBO and your vegan diet, which is very high in carbs, particularly polysaccharides has added fuel to the fire.

There are lots of threads dedicated to diet on this forum. Unfortunately lately the trend has moved away from truly helpful therapies to food trigger avoidance. The latter isn't enough. It is necessary to 'weed and re-seed', an old expression which probably started in the ND community.

Oily lotions and potions are usually inflammatory, as seen by numerous reports here.
    Less is better. I wouldn't force yourself to use sunblock either if you find it irritating. An umbrella will protect you from the sun. Some people like big hats.

This may be upsetting to you, but I doubt you will experience any improvement if you maintain a vegan diet. You need meats, eggs and low carb vege.
    And you need to make sure you are nutritionally balanced.

You may find that once you remove all those carbs which are feeding the abnormal gut flora, you will tolerate some oils/fats.
    Goods fats are saturated and monosaturated. You'll want to avoid PUFAs as they are inflammatory. I am talking about supplements and hydrogenated fats, mostly.

Butter, ghee, (small amounts, not bucket loads), olive oil if you can tolerate it.
    Coconut oil is considered a good fat, but it can cause breakouts in some rosaceans. I am one of them. Given you already react to avocado oil, I'd stick with the butter and ghee at this stage.

I'd advise you to get a copy of the 'specific carbohydrate diet' and also the GAPS diet. The former provides an in depth understanding of how different carbohydrates effect the gut and fuel or heal disease.
    The GAPS diet was written for those with gut+systemic disease and whilst the approach is very similar, the author (a doctor) provides a broader understanding of systemic issues.

I followed the GAPS diet and brought my severe flushing under control, along with lifestyle changes and sulphur and niacinamide topicals. There are threads on the latter. I also take some supplements. You should read through threads to decide what may help you as an individual.

You could also follow the paleo diet, which is also low carb.

These diets have to be followed for a long time. This is because the bacteria/fungi in the gut form biofilms which are like fortresses. They are able to resist the effects of antibiotics and some are spore forming and go into hiding when the environment is unfavourable. This means, depriving them of their favourite food, ie, carbs, will make them non active and health issue symptoms diminish, or resolve completely, but as soon as carbs are reintroduced into the diet, they take advantage of the banquet and release their irritating toxins again.
    This is one reason why food trigger avoidance is not a complete solution.

I hum along in not too bad a state until I eat starch.
    In my case, the effects of starch can be seen in blood tests, as I have autoimmune disease. Recently I tried reintroducing resistant starch and my antibiotics are now sky high and heading for the moon. I was pretty horrified actually.

After a discussion with one of my professor mentors, (Dr Ayers) he shared with me an inspiring success story from someone who wrote to him about his own journey. The professor actually had me do a similar regime some years ago, but my case was so severe at the time, nothing made a dent in it.

It basically consists of eating a low carb diet as detailed above, and once per week taking doses of PEG to break down the biofilms and following this with antimicrobials (non script in above case) to kill the bad bacteria/fungi. This is then followed up with large amounts of fermented foods.
    There are a few other supplements involved and it would appear that it is prudent to do some weeks (or more) on the low carb diet first to reduce intestinal inflammation before launching into the PEG approach.

Results/benefits are usually delayed by weeks.

I am going to see if the person concerned would share his story here.

Meanwhile you could take a browse through Prof Ayers blog. I can't remember where the above information is located though. You'll have to look for it.
    http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com.au/

For any accutane flushers who stumble across this post. The man I mentioned above started off with acne, and then developed accutane induced flushing.
    Of course, each case is different, and I get the feeling his flushing wasn't as severe as many here, but I still think his journey is inspiring.

I hope you find the path which leads to recovery.
    Last edited by Mistica; 29th October 2016 at 04:13 AM.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Go to a dermatologist for proper diagnosis. If it is rosacea,ask for Soolantra and stay away from oral and topical corticoids.

It's possible that you're eating foods that you're sensitive to more often now that you're vegan. You might try keeping a log of everything you eat to see if your flushing is related to a food that you're eating. It's a lot of work to keep a log but it can really help.

Until you can see a doctor, don't use anything harsh to clean your face. No vinegar, no lemon juice, no exfoliating scrubs, no acne products with benzyl peroxide. Don't scrub hard when you wash your face. If you can't use a sunscreen, use a big hat or an umbrella...I keep a foldable hat in my purse and put it on when I go outdoors, or a big straw hat if I know I'm going to be outside for a long time.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mistica View Post
    Hello,

It also sounds like you have dysfunctional gut flora, likely SIBO and your vegan diet, which is very high in carbs, particularly polysaccharides has added fuel to the fire.

There are lots of threads dedicated to diet on this forum. Unfortunately lately the trend has moved away from truly helpful therapies to food trigger avoidance. The latter isn't enough. It is necessary to 'weed and re-seed', an old expression which probably started in the ND community.

Oily lotions and potions are usually inflammatory, as seen by numerous reports here.
    Less is better. I wouldn't force yourself to use sunblock either if you find it irritating. An umbrella will protect you from the sun. Some people like big hats.

This may be upsetting to you, but I doubt you will experience any improvement if you maintain a vegan diet. You need meats, eggs and low carb vege.

You may find that once you remove all those carbs which are feeding the abnormal gut flora, you will tolerate some oils/fats.
    Goods fats are saturated and monosaturated. You'll want to avoid PUFAs as they are inflammatory. I am talking about supplements and hydrogenated fats, mostly.

Butter, ghee, (small amounts, not bucket loads), olive oil if you can tolerate it.
    Coconut oil is considered a good fat, but it can cause breakouts in some rosaceans. I am one of them. Given you already react to avocado oil, I'd stick with the butter and ghee at this stage.

I'd advise you to get a copy of the 'specific carbohydrate diet' and also the GAPS diet. The former provides an in depth understanding of how different carbohydrates effect the gut and fuel or heal disease.
    The GAPS diet was written for those with gut+systemic disease and whilst the approach is very similar, the author (a doctor) provides a broader understanding of systemic issues.

I followed the GAPS diet and brought my severe flushing under control, along with lifestyle changes and sulphur and niacinamide topicals. There are threads on the latter. I also take some supplements. You should read through threads to decide what may help you as an individual.

These diets have to be followed for a long time. This is because the bacteria/fungi in the gut form biofilms which are like fortresses. They are able to resist the effects of antibiotics and some are spore forming and go into hiding when the environment is unfavourable. This means, depriving them of their favourite food, ie, carbs, will make them non active and health issue symptoms diminish, or resolve completely, but as soon as carbs are reintroduced into the diet, they take advantage of the banquet and release their irritating toxins again.

In my case, the effects of starch can be seen in blood tests, as I have autoimmune disease. Recently I tried reintroducing resistant starch and my antibiotics are now sky high and heading for the moon. I was pretty horrified actually.

After a discussion with one of my professor mentors, (Dr Ayers) he shared with me an inspiring success story from someone who wrote to him about his own journey. The professor actually had me do a similar regime some years ago, but my case was so severe at the time, nothing made a dent in it.

It basically consists of eating a low carb diet as detailed above, and once per week taking doses of PEG to break down the biofilms and following this with antimicrobials (non script in above case) to kill the bad bacteria/fungi. This is then followed up with large amounts of fermented foods.
    There are a few other supplements involved and it would appear that it is prudent to do some weeks (or more) on the low carb diet first to reduce intestinal inflammation before launching into the PEG approach.

Meanwhile you could take a browse through Prof Ayers blog. I can't remember where the above information is located though. You'll have to look for it.

For any accutane flushers who stumble across this post. The man I mentioned above started off with acne, and then developed accutane induced flushing.
    Of course, each case is different, and I get the feeling his flushing wasn't as severe as many here, but I still think his journey is inspiring.

Thank you very much for your input! Ahhh...I'm a bit conflicted. However, I must see a doctor. Thank you for helping me come to some kind of conclusion. I feel like I've had rosacea subtype 1 years before i truly noticed it and began to have subtype 2 symptoms.....I also need to manage my stress levels. An unexpected event that gave me a lot of anxiety could have truggered the acne (possibly). Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistica View Post
    Hello,

Hello! I was actually diagnosed with SIBO last year and have tried some things like rifaximin and herbals to try and knock it out thinking it would help my skin. The SIBO got a bit better but never went away. (Hydrogen breath test) any way you mentioned cutting out polyunsaturated fats. I currently take neem pills, digestive enzymes with each meal, omega 3, vitamin a 15,000 IU, and birth control. Would the omega 3 supplement be bad because it's a fat?