Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climbazole dissolves in MCT oil

Is there a solution to this?

My experience is the same that climbazole dissolves but precipitates out after a couple of hours.

Is this due to the presence of tiny bits of water in utensils etc?

Guessing bare minimum I need is alcohol and emuslfifer to get this to stay dissolved, what are my options in Europe?

What about if I wanted it to just be MCT oil based and not turn it into a lotion? The oiliness doesn't bother me!

Thanks

If you take the temp to 98C for a minute or two then the climbazole should dissolve and stay dissolved. I have some on my shelf right now and it's been dissolved for over 2 weeks.

You apply the climbazole / oil direct to your skin (presuming you're not allergic to it). A thin layer using a cotton bud should be sufficient and in 10-20mins it'll soak in to the skin (if not you've put too much on). If you do this please let know your results as some people are debating about how effective climbazole is in oil compared to lotions

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thanks donmattus.

Tried again, holding the temperature for a couple of minutes to ensure it was fully dissolved but it's started coming out again. What quanitites have you done this in? I'm going for a 0.3% concentration. If it won't stay in solution, what do I need to buy to fix?

What I've been doing is reheating the same batch, are there any dangers to doing this besides decreasing half-life?

Anecdotally, it seems to be working. I've been applying since Sunday, when it initially stung problem areas and then turned a little red later. Yesterday, red areas seemed smaller and started flaking. Today, very flaky and/or red including places that have been issues for a while. Seems like it is working to me for now.

Try sealing the jar before you heat it. I made a fresh 10g batch a couple of days ago and it is still dissolved. There are only a few of us using it this way so keep us posted of your progress. For the first two weeks it gets worse before it gets better.

Try using a Pyrex jar with a screw-on top. Hybex is the cheapest brand, like this: http://www.medical-and-lab-supplies....FYpcfgodEuIM_g

Thanks savino and Tom.

Will invest in lidded glass and decent scales too. Was cooling the liquid in an ice bath then transferring to plastic for storage and beginning to think that the plastic might play a part as the the climbazole seems to come out of solution when it hits the plastic.

Update wise, more flaking today of what I guess could be described as the biofilm/keratin layer. The thin covering of wrinkly dead skin. Redness decreasing somewhat although does look severe under fluoro's still! I think it definitely works but will hold off on another update for next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve87 View Post
    Thanks donmattus.

Tried again, holding the temperature for a couple of minutes to ensure it was fully dissolved but it's started coming out again. What quanitites have you done this in? I'm going for a 0.3% concentration. If it won't stay in solution, what do I need to buy to fix?

What I've been doing is reheating the same batch, are there any dangers to doing this besides decreasing half-life?

Anecdotally, it seems to be working. I've been applying since Sunday, when it initially stung problem areas and then turned a little red later. Yesterday, red areas seemed smaller and started flaking. Today, very flaky and/or red including places that have been issues for a while. Seems like it is working to me for now.
    I make mine at a concentration of 0.5%. I make small batches of 10g. I don't use a sealed container to dissolve mine and haven't found that I need to but that may be worth giving it a go. How are you cleaning your equipment before use? Not sure if it will make a difference but it is always a possibility?

As far as I am aware there aren't any dangers to heating it other than it decreasing it's half-life.

Sounds like you are getting some good results so that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by donmattus View Post
    I make mine at a concentration of 0.5%. I make small batches of 10g. I don't use a sealed container to dissolve mine and haven't found that I need to but that may be worth giving it a go. How are you cleaning your equipment before use? Not sure if it will make a difference but it is always a possibility?

As far as I am aware there aren't any dangers to heating it other than it decreasing it's half-life.

Sounds like you are getting some good results so that is great.
    Hi Don,

I'm wondering whether I made too large a batch then! New glassware has arrived so hopefully that will sort this situation out.

Was cleaning with just water and detergent, no alchohol etc. What should I use?

Just an update, now days in and skin is finally getting back to normal.

Massive reduction in size and angriness of red patches. Areas on cheeks, eyelids and forehead have reduced which is novel as have always had some inflamed areas here. Skin on cheeks is so clear, previously it was bumpy, rough and now it's smooth.

All skin seems thicker, although the top thin layer is currently very dry and tight so I expect it to flake off for the following days.

What's most surprising was applying the MCT oil/climbazole combo to my neck. The oil actually revealed the extent of the yeast colonies, it extended off the base of my neck and onto my chest/shoulders/back etc. These are areas I haven't had obvious issues with for years.

My skin has mostly healed except for residual redness on eyelids, cheeks, forehead and folds of neck and back of scalp. I think there's no doubt the MCT oil works.

Hi Steve,

As climbazole doesn't dissolve in water I clean my equipment with 70% isopropanol alcohol to dissolve any remnants of climbazole and then I rinse and wash with detergent after I have used it. This makes sure it is clean for the next use - I then use alcohol again before I use it, rinse it, and then I use Milton to sterilise - this was the advice from http://www.makingskincare.com/how-to...d-ingredients/ I'm not sure how much difference it will make but it might? If you are making a large batch I would try dissolving the climbzole in a smaller amount of MCT oil and then adding more MCT oil once dissolved - I used to dissolve 0.5g climbazole in 2ml MCT oil and then add more MCT oil to make 10g because I had a similar issue. I have just started doing it all in one now and I don't have the same issue anymore - not sure why?

I have a theory about the precipitation. I made what I call 'climbazoil' and it was fine until I went on holiday and it was in my bag in the hold on the plane, which would have been very cold. When I looked at it the climbazole had precipitated. I made some recently and I had to work away so the climbazoil was in the back of my car while I was driving at night, which again was cold, and when I looked at it there was a small amount of precipitation. So I wonder if the temperature is a factor? How does that fit with you? What temp is it being stored at?

lol i need to be a chemist now damn