Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbazole dissolves in MCT oil

Default Climbazole dissolves in MCT oil

I suffer from contact dermatitis which lead me to find an alternative solution to treat my SD. I talked to Tom about dissolving climbazole in MCT oil and he said it might so I tried it and it actually does. I heat it up in a water bath, and it dissolves at around 90-100C (it would be great if anyone has a thermometer and try it so we can have more accurate information). They US guy who sells climbazole also tried it with a microwave and it took 28 seconds however I forgot to ask him at what temp he did it. I always wait for it to completely dissolve/disappear in the oil, only after that I stir (while heating) for about 3-5 minutes to make sure it completely dissolved. If I am making an oil-wax I dump some carnauba wax while stirring, I have found that the best formulation is 4 parts oil 1 part wax. I used to add bee's wax but have found that carnauba wax absorbs into the skin much better than bee's wax plus it does not have such an intense smell. I still have candelilla wax to try.

I make the climbazole oil-wax at a 0.5% concentration. I find this to be most effective way to treat my SD - no allergens, no harsh chemicals only what the skin needs. Sometimes I rub the oil-wax into my scalp just as I'd use a hair product.

As there is no information about cimbazole solubility in MCT oil I am doing at my own risk however I've had nothing but positive results so far. If there was a solubility limit the powder would sink and stay at the bottom but seeing that it doesn't, for me I've found this to be the best method for treating SD.
    Last edited by savino; 23rd October 2016 at 07:02 PM.

Hi savino, climbazole melts at 96.8C, according to the 2009 EU report. If you have a screw-top Pyrex jar, the pressure build-up will probably lower the melting point a little further. It's good to know it melts in MCT oil and stays in solution.

Climbazole resists heat degradation fairly well -- this is the published half-life data, from the EU's 2009 report:
    Temperature (C) -- Degradation rate constant (10-3) -- Half-life (days)
    50C -- 3.03 -- 228.7
    70C -- 4.94 -- 140.6
    90C -- 7.62 -- 91.1

There will be some, but minimal, degradation by heating it to about 100C for a couple minutes. It dissolves in ethanol or isopropanol at 150F, which is about 66C.

Thank you Tom, very good information. I make a 25ml oil-wax and tend to use it in 30 days or so. I think this is the best method to check if someone suffers from Malassezia induced SD as it reduces any chances of irritant/contact dermatitis from products and also because there just doesn't seem to be any climbazole products out there.

It would be great if someone measured and reported back at what temperature the climbazole actually dissolves in MCT oil.

Hi Savino and Tom,

Can I ask if the climbazole stays in the MCT oil once dissolved and added to your other ingredients?

I'm experimenting at the moment and I just wondered

Thanks

When I first dissolved climbazole in MCT oil I left it sitting for a couple of days and it stayed dissolved. You can try this yourself. I think the key is to let it completely dissolve in the oil by itself - only after that stir for a couple of minutes.

I have discovered that carnauba wax mixed with MCT oil causes classic pomade acne just like when I was using mineral oil products. I started using only MCT oil mixed with 0.5% climbazole and find it to be the best solution for me. I apply it with a cotton swab squeezing out any excess oil beforehand.

I have discovered that dissolving climbazole in MCT oil isn't the best option. I have been seeing a very small white patch in the middle of my bottle after a few days of dissolving it which was not there at first. The patch is not like crystallized climbazole but very fine and the amount is less than 5% of the climbazole initially used. When I shake up the bottle it forms into a string and actually floats in the oil.

That's unfortunate to hear. I guess we're stuck with using alcohol to dissolve it. Alcohol is very drying, but at least the very small amounts involved should mean this isn't an issue.

I haven't found that. I did have some problems in trying to dissolve it in larger quantities, but dissolving 0.3g in 1ml MCT oil at 97C works quickly for me and I can see no trace weeks afterwards (I add more mct oil after it has dissolved). I do it this way because I couldn't get the climbazole to fully dissolve in larger amounts of oil, not fully. The mct oil I use is c8 and c10 only, some you get also has c12 in. If people really don't want to use mct oil or alcohol I have spoken to a chemist and I was advised to try Triethyl citrate, as this has good solubility properties, so would love to know how that works out

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I really don't know what is going on but I guess I'll have to try your method.