Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Biopsy Results: Demodex! Soolantra

Default My Biopsy Results: Demodex! Soolantra

Hey everyone,

I've posted random questions on here many times trying to figure out what my skin condition was because of different diagnoses I've recieved. However, I think I may be getting somewhere. I found a dermatologist that gave me a punch biopsy on the side of my chin.

My symptoms are:
    Facial flushing, burning
    tons of flakey skin,
    hive-like welts that turn into tiny blister-like white heads that come in cycles, crawling and severe itching as well as the peach fuzz (I'm a girl) on my face falling out everyday.
    A couple broken capillaries (small)

My derm gave me sulfur cream to try while I waited for the results. Everything went okay and then I started getting a ton of itchy welts with white heads in the middle. (Sulfur kills mites? Die off) Anyway I stopped. I'm a whimp

Biopsy results: epidermis is normal, sparse to moderately dense lymphohistiocytic infiltrate around follicular infundibula, prevascular lymphohistiocytic infiltrate around dilated blood vessels in the papillary dermis and several demodex mites in follicular infundibula. Demodex folliculitis correlation is advised.

So!!!! I was given Soolantra to try once a day in the a.m. (why not once at night? I thought they come out at night?) and Oracea to try if the inflammation becomes really bad while trying Soolantra. I'm scared my face is going to freak out while trying this and I won't know if it's die off. I usually only try things on my chin first for a few days to see what reaction I get. Does this sound like a good idea? I really thought all this was seb derm.... Cause of all the flaking : /

Anyone use Soolantra, experience die off, or have any advice?!

Thanks so much! Sorry for the book!

If you just type Soolantra in the top right search box you will get several threads that show many find it works great for them. I just got a Rx for Soolantra today from my new dermatologist who told me that one in four of his rosacea patients say it works for them. So all you can do is try it and see for yourself. I haven't picked up my Rx yet but will post my experience with it when I know.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    If you just type Soolantra in the top right search box you will get several threads that show many find it works great for them. I just got a Rx for Soolantra today from my new dermatologist who told me that one in four of his rosacea patients say it works for them. So all you can do is try it and see for yourself. I haven't picked up my Rx yet but will post my experience with it when I know.
    Do you think it's okay to just use it on one area for a couple days to see how I react? The directions say apply once in the morning but a lot of people on here mention they apply it in the evening?

Soolantra's directions of use say "once daily", they don't specify when. Use it in the evening. If you want to test for allergy,do it on your arm. Once you put it on your face, apply it all over. https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...2913-Soolantra

I've used soolantra for 8 months now and all my symptoms are 95% gone!
    I still have a couple of small bumps on forehead that don't seem to be going away.

Some feedback to you...

It takes many cycles of 18-21 days (incubation period for demox mites) to kill them. I noticed every 3 weeks I was breaking out with really red pimples. Eventually it died down only to start again 3 weeks later!
    If you don't take Oracea at same time that breakout will be even worse!

I suggest that if you go for it you stick with it for at least 3-4 months no matter how bad it gets since you will only see results at the end.
    Also Oracea did not work for me in the beginning since it takes a while to build up in your system. I took doxy 100mg 2x per day for the first 2 months and then moved to Oracea.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsa View Post
    I've used soolantra for 8 months now and all my symptoms are 95% gone!
    I still have a couple of small bumps on forehead that don't seem to be going away.

Some feedback to you...

It takes many cycles of 18-21 days (incubation period for demox mites) to kill them. I noticed every 3 weeks I was breaking out with really red pimples. Eventually it died down only to start again 3 weeks later!
    If you don't take Oracea at same time that breakout will be even worse!

I suggest that if you go for it you stick with it for at least 3-4 months no matter how bad it gets since you will only see results at the end.
    Also Oracea did not work for me in the beginning since it takes a while to build up in your system. I took doxy 100mg 2x per day for the first 2 months and then moved to Oracea.
    Thanks for the reply! I've been on the Soolantra for a little over a week. Every time I apply it the next day I have some small white heads. I'm not so sure that's actually die off or if it's just clogging my pores lol I also have some seb derm so that could potentially complicate this. The Soolantra seems a little bit drying to me actually. I'm just holding off on the Oracea unless it gets really bad. I'm just not keen on going straight for antibiotics if I don't have to. Plus I already have a ton of stomach issues I'm trying to work out. I obviously know I have demodex because of the biopsy but I suppose it's hard to know if they really are the culprit here.

There is no need to use Oracea for the whiteheads. Don't worry about your dryness, don't use any other cosmetic product, your skin will become hydrated after some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    There is no need to use Oracea for the whiteheads. Don't worry about your dryness, don't use any other cosmetic product, your skin will become hydrated after some time.
    Really?? It's just so DRY... you aren't supposed to use any other moisturizer after the Soolantra has sunk in? It just seems weird to me you can't use anything other than Soolantra by itself

Soolantra is ivermectin mixed in CeraVe hydrating lotion. It's always preferable not to apply anything on top of topical medications, it could reduce their action.

Soolantra is mixed into Cetaphil Cream, according to the patent. The Cream has petrolatum instead oil and is more waxy and heavy than the lotion. From an aesthetic perspective the Cream will not soak in like the Lotion would, and the Cream will not wash off as well.