Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Biopsy Results: Demodex! Soolantra

Quote Originally Posted by Capture531 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. As far as diet, I've done paleo for a year, low carb, low sugar, no dairy. I have taken probiotics but I have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) so any probiotics with prebiotics are bad for that. I take high quality fish oil and vitamin a as well as neem because it's antibacterial and fungal (under the care of a holistic practitioner). The thing is that I can eat really crappy and my face will be okay and then eat really well and it flares. And vice versa. So it's confusing. Which Nivea cleansing milk do you use? It looks like there is 3 versions. And do you tissue it off or remove with water? I've looked into some cleansers that you wipe off like toleraine and avene brands but haven't tried them. I've actually resorted to using distilled water because it's the least harsh thing on my face lol I swear, the lengths we go to! My current routine is wash with water every other night and Soolantra once every night.
    http://www.superdrug.com/Nivea/Nivea...w&gclsrc=aw.ds.

This one. Super cheap over here too! (Trust me I've tried so many products) I like this outside of not irritating my skin because it physically almost soothes your skin slightly in application, it buffers nicely and washes off easily too. I think all rosacea sufferers should try cleansing milk they're really great. In terms of how I use it, wash my hands, apply to my DRY face, slowly message in outwards circles, and inwards if I feel appropriate (whatever doesn't physically irritate your skin) and then gently rinse off my fave using the technique of putting my hands together, cuping LUKEWARM water and GENTLY pressing it against each cheek and then following up your face, repeating this technique for every other part of your face. Basically what this girl does but when less rigourous/microscopic cleaning with the fingers, and less, but the occasional inwards circle motions too. (Find what annoys your skin the least it's imperative. I'm sure if you don't have the product where you are any "sensitive" cleansing milk would do well. It's been a revelation to me, my skin feels climbed without SLS bombarded and without drying it too much with over application of water.

https://youtu.be/hfuMLfVK9fU

I do a even less vigourous approach to cleansing, less quick/hard but slightly more cleansing. The thing about the pinkies is very interesting too. I don't do everything she says but it's very interesting to me.
    Last edited by skullmcrex; 17th November 2016 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skullmcrex View Post
    http://www.superdrug.com/Nivea/Nivea...w&gclsrc=aw.ds.

This one. Super cheap over here too! (Trust me I've tried so many products) I like this outside of not irritating my skin because it physically almost soothes your skin slightly in application, it buffers nicely and washes off easily too. I think all rosacea sufferers should try cleansing milk they're really great. In terms of how I use it, wash my hands, apply to my DRY face, slowly message in outwards circles, and inwards if I feel appropriate (whatever doesn't physically irritate your skin) and then gently rinse off my fave using the technique of putting my hands together, cuping LUKEWARM water and GENTLY pressing it against each cheek and then following up your face, repeating this technique for every other part of your face. Basically what this girl does but when less rigourous/microscopic cleaning with the fingers, and less, but the occasional inwards circle motions too. (Find what annoys your skin the least it's imperative. I'm sure if you don't have the product where you are any "sensitive" cleansing milk would do well. It's been a revelation to me, my skin feels climbed without SLS bombarded and without drying it too much with over application of water.

https://youtu.be/hfuMLfVK9fU

I do a even less vigourous approach to cleansing, less quick/hard but slightly more cleansing. The thing about the pinkies is very interesting too. I don't do everything she says but it's very interesting to me.
    That is an interesting technique, I'll try it. Looks like I can only order that wash online. I live in the US and haven't seen it in stores. I definitely always stay away from SLS because my face can't handle that. Do you have seborrheic dermatitis as well? My derm thought about adding Oracea or Elidel to the mix but I've heard those two meds are like making a deal with the devil. My skin barrier just seems really sensitive and fragile. And I think the seb derm is the dominating condition compared to my Rosacea. Which in my case is apparently caused by demodex due to a biopsy I got but honestly a lot of people have demodex and Soolantra hasn't really done that much for me so far.

That is an interesting technique, I'll try it. Looks like I can only order that wash online. I live in the US and haven't seen it in stores. I definitely always stay away from SLS because my face can't handle that. Do you have seborrheic dermatitis as well? My derm thought about adding Oracea or Elidel to the mix but I've heard those two meds are like making a deal with the devil. My skin barrier just seems really sensitive and fragile. And I think the seb derm is the dominating condition compared to my Rosacea. Which in my case is apparently caused by demodex due to a biopsy I got but honestly a lot of people have demodex and Soolantra hasn't really done that much for me so far.
    I honestly don't know if I have seb derm. I'd post pictures but I'm rather shy/sensitive about pictures up closer (maybe in the next few weeks) However for sure the symptoms aren't really in line with mine as much as rosacea from what I remember while doing research. I'm sure you can get a milk cleanser in some form where you are, doesn't have to be mine just do some googling! My skin barrier is 100℅ super fragile myself, it's a particular nightmare at the moment because its super cold and I get serious and uncomfortable flushing from my face rapidly changing temperatures (anything that would cover it up/keep it warm just irritates my skin too so that's that) I honestly need to do more research on seb derm again because I'm lacking in answers/info about it my friend and people here keep mentioning it in line with their rosacea. If the problem is demodex then absolutely keep at the Soolantra, it's killing the dermites remember, it can take several months to be fully effective.

Just wanted to update for anyone that's interested. I've stopped using Soolantra after trying it for about 5 weeks. My dermatologist believes that what I was experiencing was not in fact die off but rather not being able to handle the base that Soolantra is in. Usually any topical that has a cream base breaks me out and flares up my seborrheic dermatitis. So for now Soolantra is a no go. I may give it another try at a later date. Although my test result showed demodex mites, it doesn't mean that that's what's causing my symptoms. For the last couple of days I have been testing out Extina for the seb derm. It's ketocanozole in foam form. I've tried this drug in a cream and in a gel but it didn't absorb well and caused blocked pores. The foam absorbs much better. It does slightly sting upon application due to the alcohol content since it's a foam. But it diminishes in a minute or so. So far, flaking is about 90% better as well as redness. No itching or breakouts either. But it's still early so fingers crossed. Any comments about experiences or opinions on extina is welcomed! I'm also taking vitamin a and omega 3 which I also think helps with oil production for seb derm.

capture531, I have had similar results with Soolantra after a month. My face is continuing to break out (my diary on the RRDi). The white pustules are less now and I get a little skin flakes as well. However, I am going through with at least a 90 day trial. My skin isn't as sensitive as yours. I noticed that when I wash my face only with water that it didn't feel I was washing the Soolantra off so it was in this thread that I learned from Tom Busby that "Cream has petrolatum instead oil and is more waxy and heavy than the lotion" which explains why it is difficult to remove (Thanks Tom).

Hope your Extina works out for you. Might want to start a new thread, 'My Extina Diary'

skullmcrex, I really like your cleansing tip and posted your comment and the video you recommend on the RRDi web site here:

Forum Home > Forums > Public Forum > Rosacea Topics > Non Prescription > Cleansers > Cleansing Tip
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    capture531, I have had similar results with Soolantra after a month. My face is continuing to break out (my diary on the RRDi). The white pustules are less now and I get a little skin flakes as well. However, I am going through with at least a 90 day trial. My skin isn't as sensitive as yours. I noticed that when I wash my face only with water that it didn't feel I was washing the Soolantra off so it was in this thread that I learned from Tom Busby that "Cream has petrolatum instead oil and is more waxy and heavy than the lotion" which explains why it is difficult to remove (Thanks Tom).

Hope your Extina works out for you. Might want to start a new thread, 'My Extina Diary'

skullmcrex, I really like your cleansing tip and posted your comment and the video you recommend on the RRDi web site here:

Forum Home > Forums > Public Forum > Rosacea Topics > Non Prescription > Cleansers > Cleansing Tip
    Yeah my skin is quite sensitive and doesn't handle many cleansers that could help wash off the Soolantra. I'm currently looking into La Rochay Posay Toleraine Dermo Cleanser that requires no water. Also a problem I encountered with Soolantra is that because of the build up I get on my face the cream just rubbed off with the flakes when I rubbed it in. So not a lot of product was penetrating through to my actual skin. I honestly think that with seb derm there's some type of imbalance in the actual make up of sebum that makes it more waxy. Possibly fatty acids or something. It then provides a great environment for yeast to over populate the epidermis leading to the redness and inflammation. I think that layer people get is actually an accumulation of dried sebum that can't lubricate skin properly because it lacks the right composition to do so. Just an opinion

If you are in the US another good one is Pevonia rs2 gentle cleanser . I have been using this one since July . Its creamy , and wont strip your skin . This whole line of products has helped my skin heal .

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3boys View Post
    If you are in the US another good one is Pevonia rs2 gentle cleanser . I have been using this one since July . Its creamy , and wont strip your skin . This whole line of products has helped my skin heal .
    Thanks for the suggestion: ) I'll look into that one. Anything too stripping ends up pretty bad lol