Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice from subtype 1 flushers who have had IPL or Laser

I have also done test against H.Pylori and in my case it was negative. It meant that I had had never this bacteria inside my body.
    Some part of me also wanted something to finally blame on. Unfortunately it wasn't this bacteria, neither demodex, neither sun, skin barrier ect.
    More and more I think about this being a genetic failure, some kind of DNA was damaged and it was easy to get rosacea, same like people who got lungs cancer and they never smoked or lived with people who smoked.

Hi Fiona,

I hope your health and stomach troubles improve. I think as long as there's a test for H. pylori, and it's treatable, why not? Esp. if it might be linked to rosacea!!! (Is it wrong to say I hope you have H pylori? lol) I'm sorry about your job, but yeah health first, I'd agree with that one. Still hard though, I know.

I hope your skin is handling your IPLs ok as well. I'm curious what your laser practitioner said about your response to IPL. I actually had 2 IPL's about 5 years ago (when I had minor baseline redness only, no flushing....man those were the days!), and my skin handled it great (improvement in redness and texture). However, now that I have hard-core night flushing, I am scared about the angiogenesis issue (I've had 3 vbeams and no major change). I think a lot of it depends on your practitioner. BTW, I think it is the norm to experience some increase in flushing between IPL's, but don't take my word for it, and I definitely don't know for how long.

Anyway, I read that you were having trouble sleeping. I was going to suggest that you might ask your doctor for something to help with that, perhaps just in the short term, to get out of the lack-of-sleep cycle (when I have 3 hours of sleep myself, I flush so badly the next day ==> even less sleep ==> ...). Or just benadryl or something, to help give your blood vessels a rest.

Hang in there!!

Lizzy

PS, when you said something like you feel your flushing comes from deep within (I'm butchering your words), I totally get it!!

Default Feels like things are improving now

It's now almost 8 weeks since my third IPL... the one that kinda freaked me out in my posts above.

I just thought I'd post here that finally, things seem to be turning round. 6 weeks after the painful 3rd treatment I literally woke up one morning feeling better and I haven't flushed since!

I had my fourth IPL last week, which was set as high as the 3rd, but there have been no ill effects really, just a very slight sensitivity on the surface of my skin.

I can hardly believe I haven't flushed at all for almost two weeks! This is unheard of for me.

I have pusted more about how things have improved for me here... But I just wanted to say something here too, so that I could thanks everyone here who helped so much with kind words of support.

Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    It's now almost 8 weeks since my third IPL... the one that kinda freaked me out in my posts above.

I just thought I'd post here that finally, things seem to be turning round. 6 weeks after the painful 3rd treatment I literally woke up one morning feeling better and I haven't flushed since!

I had my fourth IPL last week, which was set as high as the 3rd, but there have been no ill effects really, just a very slight sensitivity on the surface of my skin.

I can hardly believe I haven't flushed at all for almost two weeks! This is unheard of for me.

I have pusted more about how things have improved for me here... But I just wanted to say something here too, so that I could thanks everyone here who helped so much with kind words of support.

Thank you...

Hi Fiugs,

That's great news!! So glad to hear things have improved for you, hope you are still doing well.

If you get this would you remind me what your flushing was like before? like, if you flushed daily, how often daily, etc?

And did you notice any benefit prior to your 3rd IPL?

Anyway, great to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi Fiugs,

That's great news!! So glad to hear things have improved for you, hope you are still doing well.

If you get this would you remind me what your flushing was like before? like, if you flushed daily, how often daily, etc?

And did you notice any benefit prior to your 3rd IPL?

Anyway, great to hear.
    Hi,

Things are still doing well for me. It's amazing how happy a flush free time can make a person feel.

Before IPLs I would be guaranteed a flush if I was exposed to any of the following:

- temps over 18 deg C. This was by far my most difficult symptom, it meant I had to live virtually the life of a hermit.
    - spicy food
    - any form of prolonged concentration, such as detailed emails or conversations.
    - anxiety producing situations
    - waking up in the morning!

As well as the above guaranteed situations, I also flushed every evening sometime between 8 and 10 for no obvious reason: my evening flushes would even happen on days I was fasting.

When did the IPL results kick In? I would say 6 weeks (to the day actually) after my 3rd session. Prior to that, the 'progress' looked like this:

- I had an IPL test patch, which appeared to do little other than cause extra flushing in the evenings and also in the small hours, usually between 1 and 4am. This reaction lasted around four weeks before it calmed down.

There was no visible improvement in my Rosacea before I went for my first full treatment.... but then it was only a test patch.

- First full treatment caused the same reactions, except this time all over the full treatment area ( my entire face gets treated, right to the hairlines). The worst aspect of the reactions was the night flushing... Every night. I never get night flushes except as a post IPL reaction. These flushes were usually different than my normal Rosacea flushes, they weren't usually so deep in the skin.

No visible improvement in my background redness, or my visible caplillaries or my usual Rosacea flushing propensity after the first full treatment.

- 2nd full treatment was 6 weeks later. Post treatment period was less reactive than the first. IPL settings were the same as before (sorry don't know what they were, except they were, at my request, very conservative)

On a good day, I sometimes thought I looked a little less red. But, all in all, I would say there was no definite change in my appearance.

- 3rd treatment was six weeks later. The nurse upped the settings a little... But she said they were still pretty low. Post treatment reaction was bad... even a little frightening at times. Deep Flushing in evenings was stronger and less deep flushing woke me up every night for around an hour around 2am. My memory of this period is that I seemed to live in front of a fan or with a gel mask strapped to my face.

However, the tide turned at the 6 week mark... I should have gone back for treatment 4, but I had to postpone for a week and make a new appt for practical reasons. I'm so glad it did, as I went through an almost spooky period of radical improvements during this week... I stopped flushing. My face actually looked a little worse during this week.. The red was less uniform, more grainy and blotchy... And I had quite a few spots, some with whiteheads. (Ps &Ps have never been an issue for me, just flushing and almost permanent face discomfort at best, or pain at worst). Somehow, I saw the blotchyness and the spots as evidence of progress, it seemed to me that a few areas of redness were clearing and that the spots\whiteheads were a result of zapped caps decaying and being expunged. That's my theory anyway....

- 4th treatment was at the same settings as the 3rd, but post treatment reactivity has been virtually nil. No flushing during the day or the night. The surface of my skin is a little more sensitive than usual (I should have mentioned this was also the case after previous treatments) but I expect that to resolve within three weeks at the most. The background redness is noticeably less and it is also no longer blotchy or grainy in appearance. For the first time since treatments began, I am seeing fewer visible caplillaries.. Some of my 'old friends' are now gone!

-------

So.. In a nutshell... I would say that I experienced only post treatment reactivity and no detectable benefits until 6 weeks after my 3rd treatment, after which the tide appeared to change.

I still have a slight pinkness (wouldn't qualify as a flush) that will come to my nose every now and then. I think this is a slight post treatment reactivity. My nose is also still too sensitive to be able to wear my reading lasses. This is quite a problem, but I'm hoping it may resolve through time, as I belive this has been caused by the cumulative effect of much flushing in the past.

So, if I could give advice to anyone who is considering IPL for their subtype 1 Rosacea what would I say?

I would say make sure you go to a reputable clinic.

Be willing to have conservative settings - and be willing to possibly have to pay for a few more treatments as a result.

Don't be afraid (as I was) that every time you flush after a treatment you are undoing all the good that was done. The anxiety I endured in relation to this fear was almost inhumane.

Don't be surprised if you see or experience not improvement for at least the first three treatments... Maybe more in the case of other folk.

Don't listen to any professional who tells you that laser or IPL will NOT reduce your flushing symptoms. I was told this by the most respected laser doc in Scotland.. it nearly broke my heart when he said this to me, as I thought I had nowhere to go! I will add that the nurse - in a different clinic - who ended up doing my IPL also said this to me. I have no idea why they said this, as it seems to be so other than all the info out there.... maybe it's to cover their backs if there is no improvement in some cases... But in my case it is patently not what has happened. Thank God.

I have received so much advice and support from this forum - way more than what has come my way from my Doctor or my Derm. I am so grateful and hope that the little I am able to offer in return will benefit those who find themselves in the position I was only a short while ago...

....and yes... I AM watching my back as a say all of this... I know that Rosacea is an unpredictable beast and who knows what lies around the corner. But for now, my face is calm and I am insanely grateful.

Good luck.
    Fiona x
    Last edited by Fiugs; 26th March 2017 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks for sharing your experience Fiona! I appreciate it, esp. if I ever do decide to dabble with lasers/ipl again.

In any case, gives me some hope. Good luck with you too, sounds like you're doing well and hope it continues!!

Thank you SO so much for detailing your IPL treatment. Its really helpful to know the baseline you started at and how your skin reacted throughout it all. So glad it has worked out for you.

I am in a pretty similar situation to you - broken capillaries with redness (I think I looks sunburnt!) and prone to flushing which I find is inhibiting me quite a lot.

Or should I say the fear of flushing is the problem as much as anything?

I also go redder when I am concentrating hard on things - emotion/stress does it, cold to hot does it and heat and hot rooms in general are hell!

If you don't mind me asking (sorry if you did say) how long did you wait after your patch test to start the IPL course? I had a patch test last week with absolutely no reactivity (setting was low though) and I am really keen to get started.

I would love to clear some capillaries off my face and to have a less reactive face overall.

Cheers,

Puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzled View Post
    Thank you SO so much for detailing your IPL treatment. Its really helpful to know the baseline you started at and how your skin reacted throughout it all. So glad it has worked out for you.

I am in a pretty similar situation to you - broken capillaries with redness (I think I looks sunburnt!) and prone to flushing which I find is inhibiting me quite a lot.

Or should I say the fear of flushing is the problem as much as anything?

I also go redder when I am concentrating hard on things - emotion/stress does it, cold to hot does it and heat and hot rooms in general are hell!

If you don't mind me asking (sorry if you did say) how long did you wait after your patch test to start the IPL course? I had a patch test last week with absolutely no reactivity (setting was low though) and I am really keen to get started.

I would love to clear some capillaries off my face and to have a less reactive face overall.

Cheers,

Puzzled
    Hi,

Yep... It sounds like we have pretty similar symptoms, doesn't it?

Unlike you, I did have reactivity after my patch test. The test area flushed more than usual and felt more sensitive. The nurse had suggested that have my first treatment after two weeks, but I changed the appt and left things for a third week before getting my first appt, becuase I was still a bit reactive at the two week mark.

I completely get the wish to get on with zapping those little suckers... Do you feel you have a good practitioner, with experience of treating rosacea? Did s/he give you any advice? )Where are you getting your treatments?)

I'm no expert, there are others here who have way more experience than I do with IPL... So hopefully they might read this and chime in,

If in doubt go easy though. I don't regret for a bit taking my time and treating conservatively.... that little extra time to pause isn't wasted, it's the period during which your skin is doing all its healing work behind the scenes, especially once you get into the full treatments.

Good luck. And please let us know how it goes for you, as you progress through the treatments.
    Last edited by Fiugs; 28th March 2017 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks for your reply.

My test patch was at a setting of 12 with a yellow filter (I think), I have ever so slightly olive looking skin. The test patch was on an area of skin between ear and chin - not sure that area has ever actually flushed.

Treatment would be 2-4 sessions, starting at the above setting.

I had this done at Cambridge Skin and Laser, with Dr. Nathan Holt. He has treated rosacea before.

I am a bit torn at the moment - I am desperate to try IPL but I am also worried about making things worse - I couldn't cope with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzled View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

My test patch was at a setting of 12 with a yellow filter (I think), I have ever so slightly olive looking skin. The test patch was on an area of skin between ear and chin - not sure that area has ever actually flushed.

Treatment would be 2-4 sessions, starting at the above setting.

I had this done at Cambridge Skin and Laser, with Dr. Nathan Holt. He has treated rosacea before.

I am a bit torn at the moment - I am desperate to try IPL but I am also worried about making things worse - I couldn't cope with that.
    If you're being treated by a doctor I would not hesitate to ask his advice.

Personally, I would wait for the period of time that has been recommended to you before proceeding with the first full treatment. You are at the start of what (God willing) will be a long term investment in your well being.. taking a week or two longer in this process will feel like nothing in the long run.

all the best,
    Fiona