Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice from subtype 1 flushers who have had IPL or Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    Wow.. So some say the Yag hurts less than IPL?? Well that explains a lot about my experience. Well, I'll stick with what I'm doing this time... I'm sure I'll have opportunities in the future to try laser instead

Luckily, I have few triggers... Unluckily the main one I have is very restrictive: most homes and even public buildings seem to set their temps higher than the 18deg C we do at home. On the plus side, I really do seem to be less 'trigger happy' for the last two weeks, which I am attributing to the low carb and the SB oil.

It would seem that the Clonidine is already having an effect, even after just two days, as my BP is right where it should be this morning and the terrible fast heart beating and anxiety I had after my IPL patch test is gone.. I'm sure my BP must have been high a few days earlier! And the random flushing I was getting, exactly in the patch test spot, has stopped. I'm on 50 micrograms twice daily and this is only day three.

I would prefer to come off the drugs after the IPL sessions if possible, as I was not flushing before the patch test, just by managing my diet. If I do come off, I will do so very gradually, in the hope I don't get rebound flushing. I will post results here, and hope that they will be reassuring ones for you, DanniH What I can say at this very early stage is that I have had no rebound flushes in the hours before my next dose is due. Although I'm sure how things would have been if I had been on Clonidine and not on low carb as well!

All I want it to get through the IPLs with minimal flushing in the days following the treatments. If Clonidine can give me that - and then let me stop it without a rebound - I will be grateful.
    I'm glad to hear things are going well for you so far. Please do let us know if you experience any rebound flushing with the clonidine, either between doses or when you decide to come off it... I'm not brave enough to try it (unless maybe in the future i no longer have access to a yag - i don't think there are many in this country)... but I would still be interested to know how you get on.

On the temperature issue, I'm also very sensitive to heat and just want to give you a little tip. For the last couple of years I've made sure to always carry a spray bottle of water with me (just plain water) and if I feel my face is getting too warm I give myself a quick spray. I can't be emphatic enough about what a difference it makes, and I'm able to manage in signigicantly warmer temperatures with the aid of my water. It may look a bit strange to other people but I'd rather that than flush horrendously! You just have to be careful not to go too mad with it or you'll dry your skin out (which I have found makes my flushing worse).

Quote Originally Posted by DanniH View Post
    I'm glad to hear things are going well for you so far. Please do let us know if you experience any rebound flushing with the clonidine, either between doses or when you decide to come off it... I'm not brave enough to try it (unless maybe in the future i no longer have access to a yag - i don't think there are many in this country)... but I would still be interested to know how you get on.

On the temperature issue, I'm also very sensitive to heat and just want to give you a little tip. For the last couple of years I've made sure to always carry a spray bottle of water with me (just plain water) and if I feel my face is getting too warm I give myself a quick spray. I can't be emphatic enough about what a difference it makes, and I'm able to manage in signigicantly warmer temperatures with the aid of my water. It may look a bit strange to other people but I'd rather that than flush horrendously! You just have to be careful not to go too mad with it or you'll dry your skin out (which I have found makes my flushing worse).
    Thanks DanniH, I will report back here after my next IPL treatment at the end of next week, if the clonidine doesn't give me rebound flushing after that I'll be well pleased.!

Im interested that a water spray helps for you - Ive found that my flushes come from so deep down inside my face that no amount of cooling to the surface of the skin has any impact at all. I have tried a spray, a cooling gel mask and a really good electric fan.. once the flush is there its there, that's that in my case. The only thing that seems to help a tiny bit is if I trowel on greek yogurt or aloe vera gel from the fridge so it looks like a face mask! I'm glad a spray works for you though!!

all the best

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    Thanks DanniH, I will report back here after my next IPL treatment at the end of next week, if the clonidine doesn't give me rebound flushing after that I'll be well pleased.!

Im interested that a water spray helps for you - Ive found that my flushes come from so deep down inside my face that no amount of cooling to the surface of the skin has any impact at all. I have tried a spray, a cooling gel mask and a really good electric fan.. once the flush is there its there, that's that in my case. The only thing that seems to help a tiny bit is if I trowel on greek yogurt or aloe vera gel from the fridge so it looks like a face mask! I'm glad a spray works for you though!!

all the best
    It's more a case of stopping the flush from happening in the first place, than helping it to subside once it's already happened. I generally feel a flush building up before it happens, and spraying my face with water stops it in it's tracks. Within reason obviously... sometimes it's so warm that water or not, I'm going to flush. But it has definitely been a huge help to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DanniH View Post
    It's more a case of stopping the flush from happening in the first place, than helping it to subside once it's already happened. I generally feel a flush building up before it happens, and spraying my face with water stops it in it's tracks. Within reason obviously... sometimes it's so warm that water or not, I'm going to flush. But it has definitely been a huge help to me.
    Good point. Now that I'm getting a little more familiar with the signs of an impending flush I'll surely give your suggestion a go.

Thanks.. and all the best

I completely endorse the point about the spray bottle of water to help flushing - very useful. Higher Nature, for example, do a great 15ml bottle that is initially sold with colloidal silver water in it. I then replace it with that or mineral water (e.g. Evian). I don't put tap water in it, though, because I find the chlorine in tap water very irritating to the skin.

Personally, I found anti-flushing medications much more effective than IPL or YAG laser, but everyone is different.

Default Yep... Spraying with water does make a difference!

I just wanted to update here about my IPL progress.

But first, a wee thankyou to DanniH and Antwantsclear for suggesting a water spray when I feel a possible impending flush. I now carry a little bottle of Avène Eau Thermale with me wherever I go, at home I keep it in the fridge. When my face starts to feel a little warm I spray it - and it really makes a difference. It's especially helpful when I start to feel a nose flush coming (which has been a feature ever since I had flu in December)

Thanks so much guys!

On the IPL side of things.... I've now had three treatments, with 6 weeks inbetween. The way my face behaves afterwards is usually the same each time:

DAY 1 - I leave the clinic with big redS flushed patches where I have been treated and, of course, my face feels very hot. By the time I get home (with the aircon on my face during the hour long drive) my face has calmed down. It stays calm for the rest of the day, although it feels a bit tender.

DAY 2 - on the second day my face usually feels very calm. Although after my third treatment, which was stronger than before (I think the nurse felt the conservative treatments I had requested before were sooo conservative that they were not doing enough) I could feel little swollen bumps all over my face, where there had been treatment.

DAY 3 onwards - on the third day the extra flushing begins. It is especially bad at night, infact for the first week or more it will wake me up most nights at around 2 or 3 am.

AFTER MY 3rd, STRONGER SESSION - I seem to be following the same pattern as above, except the post treatment flushing during the middle of the night has been much stronger. It is now three weeks since my treatment and I am only is starting to feel as though the reactive flushes are diminishing in frequency and intensity. I am led to believe, from what I've read on this forum, that this is not too unusual - would you agree?

HOW MY FACE LOOKS - this is the disappointing part for me... I'm not sure I can see much difference in my redness at this stage. On a good day, I think there may be a little less background redness, but on a bad day I don't feel there has really been any progress. My main reason for the treatment has been the hope of reducing my flushing... So far, no change in that, but of course I might notice a reduction if I wasn't getting another treatment every 6 weeks and going back to a reactive phase.

MY CONCERN - is all the post treatment flushing causing angiogenesis and marring any progress? Or indeed could it be making things worse!? I should add that I am taking Clonidine in an attempt to ameliorate the flushing; I dread to think what it would be like without the Clonidine....

I would welcome feedback from any folk with more IPL experience than I ....Is what I have described pretty normal, or should I have concerns?

I do intend to tell the nurse next time that I can't take any treatment stronger than the last one. I go back in early March.

Thanks guys..
    Last edited by Fiugs; 15th February 2017 at 09:48 AM.

Default Please help - I really need advice

It is now one month since my third IPL session. I am flushing badly every night.. I have come to associate night time flushes with post-IPL reactivity as it seems to be the only time i get night flushes.... but after previous sessions the symptoms have not been so long lasting. She did turn the dial up for the last one tho....

I appreciate that my post above was probably too long and detailed, so I'll make my essential concern more brief by simply asking if I should be concerned that, a month down the line, I am still more flushy than I was before my last IPL.

My next session is due in just two weeks and I already intend to speak with the practitioner about this, in hopes that she will consider a slightly lower level of treatment as still viable... But obviously feedback from other rosaceans who are familiar with IPL and its after effects, both good and bad, and their duration and intensity, is very appreciated.

I am feeling a llittle desperate and a little frightened and alone right now.

Well you are not alone, we are all here for you. I cannot tell you what to do, but looking back at your threads I can see you are tying a lot of things all at once, which I completely understand, we are all desperate- the night flushing is hideous. I have night flushing, day flushing, burning etc...

I sure somebody who has had IPL will be able to help, its the last thing on my list to try and I do not have the expertise to advice.

That she turned IPL's power up in next treatment is nothing wrong as long as previous one didn't bring anything wrong or time between two treatments weren't too long which is none in your case.
    To be honest I do not know why you'd flush so much after treatments. I guess every rosacea differs a bit. Example in my case flushing almost stopped after IPLs.
    As guy above mentioned it is not good to mix things up - if you do everything at once which is well attractive to do, you cannot pinpoint what wrong is.
    For flush you could use betablockers - try various ones to see which would work best.
    Some time ago I decided to use only Cetaphil for cleaning, Soolantra as only one anti-rosacea cream and RLT. I feel no difference to the time I used to take various pills, mixes ect., but I just minimized the potential threat as taking everything, using a lot of products could bring danger too.
    Last edited by Forsberg; 21st February 2017 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks for the thought and support, folks.

Yes... it's true I've been trying several different things and I know it's not a good practice for lots of reasons. Part of my desperation is due to the fact that I'm on the brink of having to give up my work as a result of my symptoms.. and that will impact significantly on over 100 people. The stress of that is of course also not helping the condition but I have come to the point of finally being able to say I need to put my health first.

Over the last two weeks I have also been experiencing bad pains in the stomach area. Went to the doc yesterday and I'm being referred for a scan. I'm also being tested for H.Pylori... which I'm pretty certain I have, as it is in the family (sister has tested positive - and mum probably did too - duodenal ulcer in the 70s, before they knew about H.P)

In a way, I hope it is H.pylori and that being treated for it will abate the Rosacea (Hope springs eternal!). I know opinions are mixed in the scientific community in regard to the connection between H.Pylori and Rosacea, but a gal can hope, can't she?

It is of course also possible that my worsening symptoms are not caused by, but exacerbated by, this latest health challenge.

All I know is that, between stomach pains and flushing I'm only getting around three hours a night sleep these days and I'm rattling down...