Thread: I need some help with my skin condition

Default I need some help with my skin condition (Fungal, Malassezia, Rosacea?)

I have lots of small bumps around my nose (located above my lip) and clusters on my cheeks and chin. Some of the bumps around my nose are white and I can extract a yellow seed. This is also possible with a few of the bumps on my cheeks. Along with this, I have noticeable redness around my nose, cheeks, and chin. I have an oily face and these bumps seemed to get worse in hot/humid weather. I went to the doctor and they told me it's keratosis pilaris or clogged pores. In my opinion though, I believe that this could be related to fungal or demodex. I've always exfoliated as well, alternating between a BHA and AHA but these bumps never seemed to budge. I've tried oil cleansing and have used a variety of products but they never helped with my skin. I've used harsh, drying cleansers in the past and I used to have lots of acne so I used to use topical steroids as well as antibiotics for over a year. Although I don't get acne anymore, I'm left with this embarrassing condition on my face. I also noticed that sometimes in the past, one of these spots on my face would itch but it wasn't that frequent. I also have digestive issues which could affect my face as well. So far, I've tried nizoral and head and shoulders shampoo recently. They made my face smoother but they also seemed to make the redness worse. I will be going in to the doctors and I was wondering if I should ask for antifungal oral prescription as well as topical. I might also ask for a sulfur cleanser if it is demodex related. Some help would be really appreciated.

20160928_161022.jpg
    Last edited by Jso1020; 29th September 2016 at 12:22 AM.

My opinion is that it's demodectic. Look at treatment via tea tree oil 25%. ivermectin 1% Soolantra, or piroctone olamine.

It looks like my little brother's skin before he was diagnosed celiac. Have you considered eliminating gluten and see if it goes away?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    My opinion is that it's demodectic. Look at treatment via tea tree oil 25%. ivermectin 1% Soolantra, or piroctone olamine.
    Thank you for the reply! I have a question with fungus though. I've tried nizoral shampoo and zinc pyrithione shampoo on the face for a week but it seemed to have made the bumps worse especially around my nose. Does this mean that it's not fungal? If these bumps are demodectic, do they spread? The bumps have spread to other areas on my face compared to last year. I've asked for soolantra from my doctor but they don't carry it around in Canada so I just received a similar one.
    Last edited by Jso1020; 30th September 2016 at 10:17 PM.

Nizoral is better by far the zinc pyrithione for treating seb derm induced by malassezia. Malassezia is a fungus found on all humans, but only some people have a reaction to it -- I think of seb derm as an allergy to malassezia or the by-products of its metabolism. If you are using Nizoral, you need to use it every day, for as at least as many months as your age in decades multiplied by two. For example, if you're 20, that would be 4 months.

In my opinion and experience, climbazole (E45 or Hegor 150) is much better than ketoconazole (Nizoral).

Soolantra is used to treat an allergic reaction to demodex, which is a tiny arachnid, with 8 stubby legs and biting mouth parts. The by-products of demodex's metabolism are bacterial, and the decaying body parts of demodex. They have a maximum life span of 23 days, and perhaps 45 days, because there are two different types of demodex. Demodex folliculorum live near the opening of a hair follicle, and Demodex brevis live deeper, inside the sebaceous gland. Demodex is probably not killed by Soolantra, as the treatment times reflect the mites' life cylce -- by that, I mean that the males and females don't live in the same gland or follicle, so the males must travel across the skin to mate, and Soolantra either kills the males at that point, or more likely, acts as a birth control. Use your Canadian Soolantra every day at night, because the males are completely nocturnal in their mating habits. Full treatment takes about 90 days.

The two conditions can be co-existing, and since both have a microscopic causative agent, it's a better diagnostic method to treat for one, or both, and see what happens. Both conditions are likely to relapse, because the conditions are most likely an allergic reaction.

Your skin also has to heal itself, as the active ingredients being discussed merely suppress (or perhaps eradicate) the troublemaker fungus or troublemaker mite. This may take longer than you would like, so patience is very useful.

Nizoral is better by far the zinc pyrithione for treating seb derm induced by malassezia. Malassezia is a fungus found on all humans, but only some people have a reaction to it -- I think of seb derm as an allergy to malassezia or the by-products of its metabolism. If you are using Nizoral, you need to use it every day, for as at least as many months as your age in decades multiplied by two. For example, if you're 20, that would be 4 months.

In my opinion and experience, climbazole (E45 or Hegor 150) is much better than ketoconazole (Nizoral).

Soolantra is used to treat an allergic reaction to demodex, which is a tiny arachnid, with 8 stubby legs and biting mouth parts. The by-products of demodex's metabolism are bacterial, and the decaying body parts of demodex. They have a maximum life span of 23 days, and perhaps 45 days, because there are two different types of demodex. Demodex folliculorum live near the opening of a hair follicle, and Demodex brevis live deeper, inside the sebaceous gland. Demodex is probably not killed by Soolantra, as the treatment times reflect the mites' life cylce -- by that, I mean that the males and females don't live in the same gland or follicle, so the males must travel across the skin to mate, and Soolantra either kills the males at that point, or more likely, acts as a birth control. Use your Canadian Soolantra every day at night, because the males are completely nocturnal in their mating habits. Full treatment takes about 90 days.

The two conditions can be co-existing, and since both have a microscopic causative agent, it's a better diagnostic method to treat for one, or both, and see what happens. Both conditions are likely to relapse, because the conditions are most likely an allergic reaction.

Your skin also has to heal itself, as the active ingredients being discussed merely suppress (or perhaps eradicate) the troublemaker fungus or troublemaker mite. This may take longer than you would like, so patience is very useful.
    Yes, I think you've explained before that climbazole is more effective than nizoral so I went ahead and bought one. Though, I can't seem to find a lotion version in Canada. Thank you for the useful information. I have never considered fungal or demodex as the problem for my skin until recently. Do you recommend that I try sulfur for demodex as well? There is a cream called prosacea and it contains 10% sulfur.

There is no lotion version of climbazole, anywhere -- I make that from scratch and others use the "dump in method," which sometimes works and sometimes messes up the aesthetics of the base lotion or shampoo.

Sulfur works against demodex but it's extremely drying to the skin and smells like rotten eggs. Tea tree oil might be a better choice but it's a very hot oil that has a burning effect on the skin. Since you're Canadian and live in a country with a functional health care system, continue to use ivermectin 1% (Soolantra in the US) because it doesn't have any obvious negatives.

There is no lotion version of climbazole, anywhere -- I make that from scratch and others use the "dump in method," which sometimes works and sometimes messes up the aesthetics of the base lotion or shampoo.

Sulfur works against demodex but it's extremely drying to the skin and smells like rotten eggs. Tea tree oil might be a better choice but it's a very hot oil that has a burning effect on the skin. Since you're Canadian and live in a country with a functional health care system, continue to use ivermectin 1% (Soolantra in the US) because it doesn't have any obvious negatives.
    Hi again, I've used the sulphur cream for a while now as well as a climbazole shampoo twice a week. Sometimes I have seen some improvements and I feel like my skin is a bit better than last year but at the same time, the progress is very minimal. I've tried to use some oil cleanser recently for around a month. For the first week, all of my skin cleared up but now, it's starting to become worse than before with patches of small bumps all over my face and I was wondering if this might be a sign that I have malassezia. I definitely don't think it is clogged pores as all of my doctors have told me. One thing that I don't have is the itchiness that malassezia sufferers have. I can't buy nizoral cream at the moment either so should I up the frequency of the shampoo? I am using the shampoo from eucerin.