Thread: Does anyone else have trouble wearing glasses?

Default Does anyone else have trouble wearing glasses?

Hi,

Lately I can't wear my reading glasses for longer than five minutes before they start to really hurt the sensitive skin on my nose. This is clearly problmatical as I need to wear glasses to be able to work!

I'm noticing a clear area of sensitive redness now, across the bridge of my nose, where the glasses mostly sit. I try to move the specs up and down my nose to give each area a rest, but it just means the sensitivity spreads across a greater area.

Does anyone else have this problem and have you come across a solution?
    Thanks...

Subtype 1.
    Bad flushing.
    Sensitised skin at times.
    Visible Telangiectasia.
    No P&Ps.
    Last edited by Fiugs; 21st September 2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typos

There are two types of nose fittings for glasses - one which is an integral part of the frame, the other are pads loosely attached to the frame via a screw and wire (not explained very well but I think you will get my meaning).

I find the the integral frame fitting, in general, irritating whilst the pads relatively comfortable.

You may find using a different type may help.

the other are pads loosely attached to the frame via a screw and wire (not explained very well but I think you will get my meaning).
    You can get different shapes of pads as well. Mine are round, versus the oblong shapes. I find them better.

In addition, and also importantly, try aluminium or titanium frames. Mine look rather like wire, but still stylish. Because my lens are not thick, the glasses don't weigh much. In my case, I can tilt the pads so that just the top area touches my nose. That way I can avoid a larger surface area annoying my skin.
    Of course, if the lens were thicker I probably couldn't do that.

Fortunately I only have to wear my glasses for reading. It is still nice to take them off and free up my face.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

My glasses are also very lightweight.

I have post-cataract lens implants in both eyes and I only need 2 dioptre (not powerful) glasses for reading/computer work. These glasses are rimless titanium and small lens size making them very light but strong.

You could also be allergic to the material that the pads or glasses (in the case of no pads) are made of.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wow,thanks so much everyone for all of your responses.

My glasses are frameless titanium and very light weight. They have oval shaped pads, which in truth, are probably the heaviest part.

They are fairly new (but then, so are my Rosacea symptoms) but they only started to irritate me after one particular day, when I was doing more reading than usual.

My opticians are pretty good, so I think I will pop in and explore some of the options you have mentioned, such as smaller pads or locating the pads elsewhere on my nose, or not so much of the pad on my nose. In the meantime I'll try a little moisturiser on the pads....trying not to get it all over the lenses in the process!

I'm only in my third month of Rosacea symptoms, so this is all pretty new to me, with many new occurrences and discoveries almost daily...

I noticed when I started this thread that I was hoping I'd get responses like, 'nah... You don't get that kind of thing with Rosacea... This means you have so-and-so-highly-curable skin condition and not Rosacea at all". I think I'm still slightly in denial... Or is it just that hope springs eternal...? I guess most of you have been through that trip

I can't wear my glasses because of this problem. Anything touching my skin irritates it. Luckily my vision isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    Hi,

Lately I can't wear my reading glasses for longer than five minutes before they start to really hurt the sensitive skin on my nose. This is clearly problmatical as I need to wear glasses to be able to work!

I'm noticing a clear area of sensitive redness now, across the bridge of my nose, where the glasses mostly sit. I try to move the specs up and down my nose to give each area a rest, but it just means the sensitivity spreads across a greater area.

Does anyone else have this problem and have you come across a solution?
    Thanks...

Subtype 1.
    Bad flushing.
    Sensitised skin at times.
    Visible Telangiectasia.
    No P&Ps.
    I have exactly the same problem I have teleangiectasia across the bridge of my nose and sides where the glasses sit, the glasses are causing them to form and they are painful . I have gone back to contact lenses and after a week or so I got pain in the eyes and went to the eye hospital and turns out I have meibomianitis as well as rosasea . I?m very short sighted so I?m struggling to work and anything else - the skin across my nose has become very delicate the glasses cause an indent after only a couple of minutes - I?m desperate to find out anyones solution or help
    Regards
    Ben

My suggestion would be to invest in some light weight titanium frames. Unfortunately they seem to be the most expensive types, but they are extremely light weight. In addition, based on my experience, the circular nose 'pads' (not sure what they are called sorry) are better as they cover a much smaller area than the oblong type. Mine are attached by a wire, so you can choose whichever type suits. And, seeing they are on a wire, you can bend them to sit in the position which is the most comfortable.

Mine are so light weight, I have angled the 'pads', so just the edges touch the skin. The opticians think it must be uncomfortable, having an 'edge' 'digging' into my skin, but they don't dig at all. As I said, the entire frames are so light weight, I can barely feel they are there.

Of course, weight also depends on the types of lens used. Fortunately my eyesight is pretty good and I only have to wear glasses for reading and other situations where seeing detail is needed.

I read your post in the other thread and feel you are likely to benefit from using ZZ cream. It will significantly reduce the sensitivity and inflammation of your skin. There are lots of posts about it. I have been using it for many years and couldn't manage without it.
    I mix mine with a topical niacinamide (and other ingredients) gel which is soothing and creates a nice finish.

Attention to diet and modifying gut flora is a must!!!

I have no helpful advice about your eyelid inflammation sorry as I have not had to battle it, however, in general, if you lower your systemic inflammation with dietary approaches, and perhaps supplements if required, your facial and eye inflammation should also reduce.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistica View Post
    My suggestion would be to invest in some light weight titanium frames. Unfortunately they seem to be the most expensive types, but they are extremely light weight. In addition, based on my experience, the circular nose 'pads' (not sure what they are called sorry) are better as they cover a much smaller area than the oblong type. Mine are attached by a wire, so you can choose whichever type suits. And, seeing they are on a wire, you can bend them to sit in the position which is the most comfortable.

Mine are so light weight, I have angled the 'pads', so just the edges touch the skin. The opticians think it must be uncomfortable, having an 'edge' 'digging' into my skin, but they don't dig at all. As I said, the entire frames are so light weight, I can barely feel they are there.

Of course, weight also depends on the types of lens used. Fortunately my eyesight is pretty good and I only have to wear glasses for reading and other situations where seeing detail is needed.

I read your post in the other thread and feel you are likely to benefit from using ZZ cream. It will significantly reduce the sensitivity and inflammation of your skin. There are lots of posts about it. I have been using it for many years and couldn't manage without it.
    I mix mine with a topical niacinamide (and other ingredients) gel which is soothing and creates a nice finish.

Attention to diet and modifying gut flora is a must!!!

I have no helpful advice about your eyelid inflammation sorry as I have not had to battle it, however, in general, if you lower your systemic inflammation with dietary approaches, and perhaps supplements if required, your facial and eye inflammation should also reduce.
    I would try applying Dermalogica barrier repair to the area twice a day.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dermalogica...b-865654896618