Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Finally ACTUALLY trying a really low carb diet

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    Both can be issue, wheat is one of the issue as well - this is why i have told not to eat it, so no wheat no gluten, and trust me gluten is an problem, this is just one study - there have been tons proving otherwise, so best to avoid to test.
    I believe fructans and gluten to be an issue only if the person has a specific sensitivity to it. Just like soy in the past, gluten has received a lot of negative press which is not substantiated by research, although the internet is chalk full of recommendations to limit gluten. Gluten is a protein, and certain people have allergies or intolerances to it, just like people have allergies to eggs, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, etc. It doesn't mean every one has an allergy or sensitivity to these foods. So, I disagree with Dazed on this one. Gluten containing grains such as whole wheat, rye, barley, oats are all nutritious grains in my humble opinion and I encourage anyone who can tolerate them, to consume them.

Here is an article from from a highly esteemed University here in California covering the topic of gluten and these are my sentiments as well:
    http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/20...en/#gs.qxd1E68

Another article from Harvard School of Public Health: https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

I only recommend to avoid this foods for 2 weeks, please keep that in mind, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Research show fructans are the problem, not gluten: http://www.gastrojournal.org/article...17)36302-3/pdf

Any thoughts people?
    Good find rednassator.

Anyone who suggests that fructan is the issue rather than gluten to someone on a gluten free diet will without a doubt be raising some ire and shake the core foundation of their belief. After all, for years they have been told 'it has to be the gluten.' 'How can fructan be involved?' They will cry 'the study must be flawed.'

The study used a "a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study of individuals with self-reported non-celiac gluten sensitivity" and concluded the fructan induced the symptoms. Wow.

So what is fructan? "A fructan is a polymer of fructose molecules." Wikipedia Doesn't that make more sense that a sugar is the culprit?

For all the naysayers, there will be other studies done on this and in time gluten will no longer be the 'bad' culprit and instead recognized for what it really is, "a protein complex that accounts for 75 to 85% of the total protein in bread wheat." Wikipedia
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    I believe fructans and gluten to be an issue only if the person has a specific sensitivity to it. Just like soy in the past, gluten has received a lot of negative press which is not substantiated by research, although the internet is chalk full of recommendations to limit gluten. Gluten is a protein, and certain people have allergies or intolerances to it, just like people have allergies to eggs, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, etc. It doesn't mean every one has an allergy or sensitivity to these foods. So, I disagree with Dazed on this one. Gluten containing grains such as whole wheat, rye, barley, oats are all nutritious grains in my humble opinion and I encourage anyone who can tolerate them, to consume them.

Here is an article from from a highly esteemed University here in California covering the topic of gluten and these are my sentiments as well:
    http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/20...en/#gs.qxd1E68

Another article from Harvard School of Public Health: https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health
    Thanks for the links to the articles on gluten. I have always thought the gluten fad diets were focusing on the wrong culprit and now that rednassator pointed out it is fructan and your two articles about gluten I enjoyed reading, have written a post about this and refer to both articles. Mucho Mahalo.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

It just adds to the confusion for me, but it would be interesting if it indeed was fructans a lot of people reacted to. But there are studies on gluten sensitivity and gut permeability, so I wonder if all these studies just have not been able to separate gluten and fructans!

Also I just bought a bunch of seeds from my local grocery store; pumpkin, chia and linseeds. And a bunch of nuts. Dazed1 told me 1600kcal a day from olive oil and coconut oil is too much, so I need more sources of fat. Then I read this:
    http://thepaleodiet.com/seed-fatty-acid-composition/
    Another science vs gut example. God da*mn it...

It just adds to the confusion for me, but it would be interesting if it indeed was fructans a lot of people reacted to. But there are studies on gluten sensitivity and gut permeability, so I wonder if all these studies just have not been able to separate gluten and fructans!

Also I just bought a bunch of seeds from my local grocery store; pumpkin, chia and linseeds. And a bunch of nuts. Dazed1 told me 1600kcal a day from olive oil and coconut oil is too much, so I need more sources of fat. Then I read this:
    Try to avoid reading about alergens, and instead test them yourself, much better. If you want best bang, and much better option - then flax is much better compared to chia, and no that article is classic scare-fest, anti nutrients are healthy actually.

That is really funny rednassator, since you were the one who added to the confusion citing the 'fructan is the culprit' instead of gluten. The study you cited will be the bane for gluten free advocates and you can imagine their reaction to it. We are not talking about those who have an actual sensitivity to gluten, the study specifically targeted 'individuals with self-reported gluten sensitivity' to understand the mechanism or biomarkers for 'Non-celiac gluten sensitivity' which means they don't have Celiac Disease. They claim they are sensitive to gluten and improve when avoiding it. The study showed that fructan is the culprit and to test the three groups the clinicians said "participants crossed over into a different group, until they completed all 3 challenges (gluten, fructan, and placebo)." Didn't matter which group they were in the results showed fructan is the culprit over gluten. There will be other studies to confirm these findings and if you read MissM's two articles she cites on gluten you will see that avoiding gluten (a protein polymer attached to starch) thinking this is improving your health without actually knowing you have sensitivity to gluten is wishing since these findings prove it. You have to be tested for gluten sensitivity.

As for the seeds you purchased, just eat them for snacks, don't eat a ton of them. The paper you cite says he favors flax seed over chia seed. The paper refers to "a study in humans who consumed 50 grams of chia seeds per day for 12 weeks." Just don't eat 50 grams a day. Eat less. I doubt that eating a few chia seed for snacks now and then will cause you issues with rosacea. You may not be aware that Loren Cordain, PhD, the author of the Paleo Diet, volunteers for the RRDi MAC?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 19th November 2017 at 12:17 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Yes, Brady, you are correct, I understand the irony, and understand the article, yet I try to see the broader picture; but I do think the study is good

Now, I'll make a smoothie with nuts and seeds no, I did not know that he also contributed there!

To update:

I have been watching my carb intake the last week and am finally feeling better. I am unsure if it is the diet OR the fact I had stopped the BCP I was on for a few weeks. Anyways, FOR ME, low carb does help my face and my meibomian glands function. This disease has ruined my life and if watching carb intake helps, then that's what I am going to do! Maybe it's bad long term, maybe it's not BUT it's likely better than antibiotics daily. I do still take them but maybe if I am strict, I can get off them one day. I also started using Soolantra on my eyelids again (off label).