Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally ACTUALLY trying a really low carb diet

Hey Faith and Skull!

I've started a low carb as well. It's day 1 for me and I am very determined. My hope is that it might curb my flushing problems. Sometimes I also look kinda reddish without any good reason at all. I could update this after a few weeks or so.

How are you doing with your low-carb?

Faith, as far as I understand it does help with your eyes and now the only time when they flare is around your period, yes?

This is an old thread but I just found it today and am going to go back on low carb. I haven't been great with it and my eyes and face have been pretty bad. Swollen nose and burning eyes. I also notice when I stop using Cliradex and then start again, I am in a great deal of pain the first day I use it. Is this the demodex dying all at once? I almost had to leave work yesterday it was so bad!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    This is an old thread but I just found it today and am going to go back on low carb. I haven't been great with it and my eyes and face have been pretty bad. Swollen nose and burning eyes. I also notice when I stop using Cliradex and then start again, I am in a great deal of pain the first day I use it. Is this the demodex dying all at once? I almost had to leave work yesterday it was so bad!!!!
    Noticed in this thread that you started a while back that you are on again off again with low carb. I know how difficult it is to avoid carb, especially sugar, like when someone offers you an incredible tasty sugar delight (one of my temptations is Haagen-Dazs vanilla bean) and without a doubt you have your special treat. I pay for it each time with a breakout of rosacea usually in a few days. It appears to take time for the sugar to trigger the rosacea, but eventually it comes. As to the Cliradex, not sure why you would experience a great deal of pain (maybe it is the demodex reacting to the Cliradex?), who knows. Maybe it is the tea tree oil? Anyway, I found the post about using Baby Shampoo and Tea Tree Oil interesting.

Whether one uses a treatment to control rosacea, there are issues such as side effects and risks to consider. What is your current regimen to control your rosacea besides on again off again low carb and Cliradex? I recall you have used Metrogel, ZZ cream and Soolantra. Thanks for resurrecting your thread on low carb.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

So when I say I "fall of the wagon" with low carb, I'm not eating candy, ice cream ect BUT I'll eat things like sweet potatoes, too much fruit, plantain chips ect. Too much of these things also flare my rosacea. For control, I use metrogel, Soolantra on the skin. I also take doxy daily.

Low carb long term is hard. Like very hard. I am still paleo but it isn't enough😓. There is a direct correlation between the state of my skin/eyes and how much carbs/sugar I've eaten even if it's the "healthy" ones. I never eat refined sugar or processed foods either. I just have this "it's not fair" mentality right now.

Sorry for the rant

Faith,

That's what RF is all about, 'ranting.' Sounds to me like you have it figured out. The issue is whether the 'benefit' of eating sweet potatoes, too much fruit, plantain chips etc is worth the consequences? We all do it, since we have such an uncontrolled desire to eat carbohydrate (the dessert part of the food triangle). There are very few who can be like a Spartan in controlling carbohydrate intake. The best part is that you personally notice when you control your carbohydrate there is improvement. The cool thing is that many now understand that sugar and carbohydrate are rosacea triggers, such as HuffPost and Vogue. Years ago I was the lone wolf crying out that sugar and carbohydrate are rosacea triggers. Not any more. That is really cool that more recognize the consequences of sugar and carbohydrate intake. By the way, I had a lot of fun collecting reports on whether sugar is addictive or not.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th November 2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady! Those articles were great! Thank you so much. As of right now I do not eat any grains. What are your take on grains? They usually cause problems for me and are not paleo. Tonight is bison burgers and green beans 😀. Oh and I mean with no bun of course.

The food is never worth the pain. Sometimes though when things are under control, I will think "maybe I can have this now" and then the cycle starts all over. What motivates you? You are lucky it has not affected your eyes. I do not wish that burn on anyone.

Low carb is a fast solution which in the long term will cause more harm, especially if you are on high animal protein route, if low carb does help you - this means your diet before was crap or you got blood sugar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    Low carb is a fast solution which in the long term will cause more harm, especially if you are on high animal protein route, if low carb does help you - this means your diet before was crap or you got blood sugar issues.

I'd like citations for these claims

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    Brady! Those articles were great! Thank you so much. As of right now I do not eat any grains. What are your take on grains? They usually cause problems for me and are not paleo. Tonight is bison burgers and green beans 😀. Oh and I mean with no bun of course.

The food is never worth the pain. Sometimes though when things are under control, I will think "maybe I can have this now" and then the cycle starts all over. What motivates you? You are lucky it has not affected your eyes. I do not wish that burn on anyone.

I have been able to eat on occasion brown rice, quinoa, oats, or rye with no issues. When I eat a doughnut it triggers my rosacea. I do have dry eyes. Every morning I have to wake up and put saline drops in my eyes. I use saline drops sometimes during the day to lubricate. But I don't have phenotype 6.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    dazed, for years many have touted that low carb is harmful, however, those voices have been crushed with overwhelming evidence that high carbohydrate long term results in obesity and other risk factors contributing to disease. For example, the USDA Food Guide Pyramid was replaced in April 2005 as MyPyramid, which was then replaced in 2011 as MyPlate, based upon the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (now in its eighth edition). The original Food Guide Pyramid pushed high carbohydrate and many still refer to these guidelines and have not kept up with recent guidelines. As you can tell from just how the USDA is continuing to update its guidelines, it is difficult to keep up with what is recommended by diet experts. Important to understanding the recent guidelines, is the recommendation of "Healthy eating patterns limit added sugars. Less than 10% of your daily calories should come from added sugars." This is stated in point no 5, Top 10 Things You Need to Know About the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. This was never mentioned in the original Pyramid pointing out the risks associated added sugar in the diet. The Choosemyplate.gov has a page explaining What are added sugars?, which points out how to find them.

For a rosacean, sugar and high carbohydrate are rosacea triggers, just as valid as stating that 'spicy foods' are rosacea triggers.

So think about this. Let's say someone in the forum starts a thread on avoiding spicy food. And then someone comments, 'avoiding spicy food in the long term will cause more harm.' Will the harm be more than the rosacea? The same could be said of whatever 'harm' you come up with in the long term for eating low carbohydrate. Is the harm more than the rosacea? The beauty of all this is that everyone can simply choose what triggers to avoid and accept the risks and benefits of avoiding a rosacea trigger. Diet triggers always come up in a rosacea discussion. And without a doubt diet triggers bring up the most discussion and controversy. If you want more evidence for the risks associated with eating high sugar and carbohydrate, I have collected vast amounts.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi