Thread: Isotretinoin or not?

Default Isotretinoin or not?

Hi All,
    I have rhinophyma. My nose isn't that bad yet. My dermatologist won't prescribe isotretinoin because he says there are to many potential side affects including liver damage. I have mixed emotions, some days I think I should give it a try, other days I resign myself to the fact at some point I'll need laser work done. I live in Westboro, MA. Does anyone know if there is a dermatologist in my area that might be more flexible with treatment options? Currently I take doxycycline and use soolantra cream, neither do anything for the thickening skin on my cheeks, forehead and nose!

Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Hi All,
    I have rhinophyma. My nose isn't that bad yet. My dermatologist won't prescribe isotretinoin because he says there are to many potential side affects including liver damage. I have mixed emotions, some days I think I should give it a try, other days I resign myself to the fact at some point I'll need laser work done. I live in Westboro, MA. Does anyone know if there is a dermatologist in my area that might be more flexible with treatment options? Currently I take doxycycline and use soolantra cream, neither do anything for the thickening skin on my cheeks, forehead and nose!

Thanks for any input!
    Isn't it strange how these derms react. My first one took one look at me, diagnosed Rosacea, and put me on Roaccutane, 5 mgs daily, for well over a year.

It is this very low dose over an extended period of time that I think works the best. But I'm not sure if that strength is available in the US.

Try doing an 'advanced search' in the top right-hand box. You'll find more info there.

JonesDavid89.jpg
    Suggest you contact David A Jones, MD who volunteers on the RRDi MAC who is in the Boston area.
    Have you read the posts on Subtype 3? Isotretinoin is one of the treatment options used to treat it, as you probably know. There are other options to consider.
    Might want to read the posts and articles on isotretinoin.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks for your input. I only lasted 1.5 months on clarivis then stopped. Mostly because I knew down the road some type of cosmetic surgery would be required and I've read you need to be off isotretinoin for 6 months or there is a possibility of scaring. My 6 months is up in April and I will be contacting a doctor (David Jones?) soon.

Yes it's confusing because derms say accutane might help but then will cause implications for surgery after. So I you take it and it doesn't work you have to wait a very long time before laser or anything.
    I'm in a similar situation where I have thicking in my cheeks phymatous rosacea and derm has said accutane or laser? So I'm confused what to do.

My dermatologist said I had rhinophyma and I agree. Nose has enlarged over the last year. Currently taking 200mg doxy per day and applying retin-A 0.05%. This isn't stopping the oil glands from getting larger. He referred me to two laser dermatologists one at Mass General, the other in Chestnut Hill. Both said I didn't have it based on the fact my nose isn't deformed yet! The most frustrating part is finding a laser guy that isn't afraid to treat rhinophyma. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Also wanted to add, the Mass General Laser guy I just went to see today after being off accutane for 6 months. Now I'll start looking for someone else!

Good luck. Yes I'm looking at getting dermabrasion / recell to help with the texture, I'm too afraid of lasers