Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting Low Dose Accutane For Seb Derm

Yeah, the low carb diet helped me but wasn't enough. Helped my body really well, face not so much.

I've stopped using e45 on my face, i was using it every second day for a few months but stopped about two weeks ago. So far, i'd say my face is doing better. Seems my face can't handle shampoos, or even soaps without negative consequences. So I just use water for my face, body and i shampoo my hair about twice per week as my hair is dry.

I feel that if I used accutane when my skin first got bad my skin would be almost 100% clear. My face still has small flakes in the pores although there really small. The redness in the T-zone area i've had for years is still around but not nearly as bad. A lot of it seems like damage done from the past but i'm hoping it will clear some more.

The excessive oiliness I believe was the catalyst for my skin problems all along. What caused the oiliness i don't know but no shampoo/soap/creams/diet could get the oiliness under control, so nothing ever worked. Accutane controls the oil and controls the problem better than anything i've ever tried by far.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Yeah, the low carb diet helped me but wasn't enough. Helped my body really well, face not so much.

I've stopped using e45 on my face, i was using it every second day for a few months but stopped about two weeks ago. So far, i'd say my face is doing better. Seems my face can't handle shampoos, or even soaps without negative consequences. So I just use water for my face, body and i shampoo my hair about twice per week as my hair is dry.

I feel that if I used accutane when my skin first got bad my skin would be almost 100% clear. My face still has small flakes in the pores although there really small. The redness in the T-zone area i've had for years is still around but not nearly as bad. A lot of it seems like damage done from the past but i'm hoping it will clear some more.

The excessive oiliness I believe was the catalyst for my skin problems all along. What caused the oiliness i don't know but no shampoo/soap/creams/diet could get the oiliness under control, so nothing ever worked. Accutane controls the oil and controls the problem better than anything i've ever tried by far.
    Good to hear that accutane is working! Are you still on a low dose? My oily skin came back in full force after I stopped accutane, but hopefully it doesn't for you.

After I saw enough improvement I decided to completely stop all climbazole washes too. My skin continues to get better and actually feels less irritated and dry than before. I'm using spectro gel face wash and it's much less irritating than any shampoo.

my oily skin came back worse than before. And with it my seb derm came back horribly, my scalp is worse than its ever been.

Skin is still doing well. No skin problems on my body or scalp. Flakes in pores on my face are still present but may be getting smaller although it's a very slow process. Side effects not too bad. Face is till redder than most and I believe it always will be but WAY better than before.

I've used a honey mask for a few mins the last couple of days and may add that into my routine at night. It didn't do much in the past but wasn't harmful.

My next derm appt. is in January so i'll get a bloodtest a week before and if all is good the derm with write another 6 month script for accutane. So at the moment if all goes well I plan to stay on accutane for life as like the above poster my symptoms will most likely come back again if i don't.

Found a pic online that perfectly illustrates in high definition the flakes in pores issue. I think it can also be called follicular filaments for which accutane has been said to reduce.

http://i.imgur.com/wGJ17.jpg

I also have an old thread with the pics of the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Found a pic online that perfectly illustrates in high definition the flakes in pores issue. I think it can also be called follicular filaments for which accutane has been said to reduce.

http://i.imgur.com/wGJ17.jpg

I also have an old thread with the pics of the same issue.

Johnny, How are you making out ? Would love to get an update ?

I've been debating doing the same as you for over a year now. Starting out with 10 mg a day and then hopefully dropping down to <35 mg per week.

What's your current dose ? did you have an initial breakout ? My skin is very oily and I get little (acne) pimples around my mouth, however I get rosacea papules/nodules on my cheeks and foreheads. I'm hoping 10 mg a day can help with this. Everything i've read seems to indicate that it will help ( as long as i'm on it).

Can you mention what kind of sides you've experienced at the various doses ? Really curious to see how the Tane has affected your day to day.

Still doing good, body clear, face clear and pores in check.

I recently made a discovery that my large pores with flakes are actually sebaceous filaments. It seems many on here including myself may be misdiagnosed with seb derm when what we truly have are large pores with sebaceous filaments.

It turns out accutane helps with sebaceous filaments/oily skin etc. so for me it works very well.

Reddit has a lot of great info on there subforum r/skincareaddiction about sebaceous filaments. Treament options include a salicylic acid (bha) leave on product, the oil cleansing method (ocm) and others.

For about a week i've been doing the ocm with some success. I also added in this product i picked up from safeway a couple of days ago https://well.ca/products/acnefree-ac...el_119128.html

I really wish I hadn't washed my face so often with harsh shampoos.