Thread: High salt diet

Default High salt diet

3 months ago I started to use much more salt (were on a low salt diet before) as I have read that our body needs it for digestion to build stomach acid. My rosacea got a lot better!

After some time I began to use too much salt. But my blood was always good and my blood pressure even too low and my rosacea was so much better. Therefore I didn't worry about if it was too much. Also I have drunken enough water everyday (3-4 litres)

Today my face looks really puffy for the first time. Think it's water retention.

So my question is: if the salt has caused this water retention, does it go away on its own if I lower my salt intake? Or won't I get rid of the salt and will always have these water retentions because I gave my body too much salt in the past?

Thanks for answers!

It will probably disappear if you just ingest less salt for a little while. I use a lot of salt, good salt, always have (not so good salt) and now even more so.
    I used to get puffy the last few days of a hormonal cycle, but don't anymore. I believe TTO stopped it. Heat could also make me swollen but perhaps not facial swelling. I believe stress and colds might cause swelling as well. Might also be a sign of inflammation. Isn't it a classic rosacea symptom? Perhaps we swell more easily than others.

this is the first time ever in my life when i see that there is somebody who said that he benefited from HIGH salt intake diet.. usually people say to diminish salt intake

Salt intake should be diminished in certain health issues, such as hypertension, some hormonal disorders, use of corticoids,etc. A healthy person has no reason for not eating salt. So if you find it beneficial for your rosacea, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    Salt intake should be diminished in certain health issues, such as hypertension, some hormonal disorders, use of corticoids,etc. A healthy person has no reason for not eating salt. So if you find it beneficial for your rosacea, go ahead.
    I would say that if you find ANYTHING beneficial for your rosacea then you should go ahead. but I was talking about a HIGH intake of salt. I didn't tried to say that salt should be excluded completely. a healthy person should eat everything and excluding anything might be a mistake, but a HIGH intake of salt is what I was talking about that I've firstly heard of.

Default High salt diet

According to Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020, the upper limit of sodium intake is 2300mg/day (1 tsp of salt=2400mg of sodium). For those with (pre)hypertension this limit is only 1500mg/day. So, how much high intake of salt are you and Isamaria referring to?
    Last edited by MariaSt; 13th September 2016 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    According to Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020, the upper limit of sodium intake is 2300mg/day (1 tsp of salt=2400mg of sodium). For those with (pre)hypertension this limit is only 1500mg/day. So, how much high intake of salt are you and Isamaria referring to?
    I'm sorry... I haven't referred to anything, and I am not very sure how much is considered "normal" or "high"....

No problem, that's why I asked. Everything is relative.

One of the RRDi Members wrote an article about this, The effect of dietary salt on rosacea, which was published in the Journal of the RRDi 2010, since it was noteworthy. She mentions that a diet high in salt put her rosacea in remission. We haven't had any other confirmation on this till this thread.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Oh sorry I didn't see all the replies to my thread. I don't know how much salt I am using exactly but much more than before. When I was on my low salt diet it was about 2 grams/day. Now I don't watch my salt intake anymore and use as much seasalt as I want to.

I think the kind of salt is also important. Iodized salt could cause acne or other issues.