Thread: A few questions about IPL vs Laser for redness?

Default A few questions about IPL vs Laser for redness?

So I have had 3 IPL sessions which has decreased flushing and redness by about 50% I would say which is good but I'm worried it will stop there and I'll see no further improvements.

So I mainly have mild/ moderate redness on my upper cheeks and nose as well as flushing in those areas and mild redness on chin

I know a laser can give that horrid bruising look which does look horrible and nasty but would a laser give better results than IPL for persistent redness on those parts of the face and is a combination of the two recommended ?

How do they remove redness differently , I know IPL stimulates the bodies response to getting rid of blood vessels does laser do exactly the same?

My derm told me IPL was more effective in his view.

Vbeam is much stronger than IPL. Although, you claim you've noticed a 50% improvement so I don't see why you would stop the IPL if it's giving you progress.

Vbeam with low pulse duration at purpuric energy levels will definitely destroy a number of those vessels, BUT you will be left with some ugly bruising for about a week or two. That method is generally used for moderate to severe redness so if you you believe your redness is more on the mild side then I can understand your doctor being hesitant to go that route.

If I were you I would probably continue with the IPLs until you believe they're no longer effective.

Default Hang in there

I've been having IPL for over 10 years and have had around 25 treatments all together. I now have IPL about every six months. When I first got rosacea, 10 years ago, I had severe flushing and permanent redness. It took about six treatments over a period ogone year before my rosacea symptoms were reduced to mild redness, with only occasional less severe flushing.

Now, 10 years on, I would say my rosacea is very mild. I do still flush if there are extreme changes of temperature or if I get sun on my face, and have a slight redness on my cheeks now and then, but I feel more or less normal most of the time.

When I began my treatment I never thought things would be this good. :-)

I think you have to continue having treatments (until there is a cure), or else your symptoms will probably creep back over time.
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)