Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: The death of a forum member. IowaDavid. Not sure where to post this

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    192
    Country: UK

    Default

    Rest in peace. Although it may not be appropriate to ask, I would be interested to know how he passed? If it was self inflicted I feel it would be important for the forum to know and further our cause.

    realwork

  2. #12
    Senior Member nat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    I haven't been told what happened... It's no secret though that he suffered from depressions on and off and up until very recently. Even though his rosacea was not playing up as much as it used to I think he said. I honestly don't know however if it was related..
    Uses: 22,5 mg mirtazapine, clonidine and propranolol, Xyzal at times.
    Diet: trying low sugar, no gluten and dairy, high protein diet.
    Link to my rosacea blog:http://scarletnat.blogspot.com

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jc5248 View Post
    I have been a lurker here for a long time before I joined . Its very sad to hear about his passing , I really feel this forum is also on its death bed , So many great posters have come and gone now including IowaDavid R.I.P . And the others just don't post anymore . Why is this ? ( 32,000 members and only 500 or so are active )
    Forgive me changing the topic of this thread (feel free to continue it in parallel though) but I thought this point was worth making.

    Being a long timer lurker, I think you may well have answered your own question - the vast majority of forum visitors come to read what others have contributed but don't contribute much themselves. I can see this in a much more obvious way because I see the web server stats, and there are many thousands of visitors each week to this forum, but relatively few posts.

    It seems that we are good consumers of content, but few of us are good producers of it.

    dp.
    Get Rosacea News here - https://rosacea-support.org

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    435
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Pascoe View Post
    It seems that we are good consumers of content, but few of us are good producers of it.
    Many people looking for a cure. But no new answers.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Many people looking for a cure. But no new answers.
    Could be. Personal experiences and belonging to a community are still valuable things that most could do though.
    Get Rosacea News here - https://rosacea-support.org

  6. #16
    Senior Member nat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    The same seems to be happening on facebook rosacea support groups. Thousands of members, but only a small vocal group who posts. I don't know why exactly..
    Uses: 22,5 mg mirtazapine, clonidine and propranolol, Xyzal at times.
    Diet: trying low sugar, no gluten and dairy, high protein diet.
    Link to my rosacea blog:http://scarletnat.blogspot.com

  7. #17
    Senior Member johnabetts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,122
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    The same seems to be happening on facebook rosacea support groups. Thousands of members, but only a small vocal group who posts. I don't know why exactly..
    Most forums are now the same.

    I moderate a computer forum with many thousands of members - a number of them paid subscribers - but only a few dedicated die-hard members make any day to day contribution to the boards and that is mainly quizzes, jokes and thoughts-for-the-day. Gone are computer problems as most answers can be easily found on the myriad of web pages dedicated to computers as well as archived forum contributions.

    Probably a similar situation here. There are many thousands of contributions offering all sorts of advice and it takes some considerable time and effort to plough though whatever may be helpful. Regarding real new developments, David Pascoe and the News Bots keep us pretty much up to date with those. Folkloric treatments have seem to be almost completely covered already so new developments in that area are few.

  8. #18
    Senior Member nat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Most forums are now the same.

    I moderate a computer forum with many thousands of members - a number of them paid subscribers - but only a few dedicated die-hard members make any day to day contribution to the boards and that is mainly quizzes, jokes and thoughts-for-the-day. Gone are computer problems as most answers can be easily found on the myriad of web pages dedicated to computers as well as archived forum contributions.

    Probably a similar situation here. There are many thousands of contributions offering all sorts of advice and it takes some considerable time and effort to plough though whatever may be helpful. Regarding real new developments, David Pascoe and the News Bots keep us pretty much up to date with those. Folkloric treatments have seem to be almost completely covered already so new developments in that area are few.
    Very true. I remember people here writing for a good year at least about our own set up trials, of ivermectin for instance, and brimonidine, all before Soolantra and Mirvaso came on the scene. Same for very low dose accutane. That kept posts flowing for a long time and it had some novelty/experimental vibe and excitement to it. But there is just too little new stuff coming out and perhaps the mentality of members 10 years ago was different from todays youngster generation (multitasking 4 screens, quick and efficient question-answer searching), but that is just speculation of course. I miss some of the old members, Irishgenes comes to mind, Melissa W., well there were many. But posting the amount they did might just take up too much space in their life eventually and when people have their rosacea stabilized, it is also normal probably to try to get on with life and go outside instead of behind the computer too much (which is another trigger for some).

    Wished there were more personal stories though.

    Best wishes
    Uses: 22,5 mg mirtazapine, clonidine and propranolol, Xyzal at times.
    Diet: trying low sugar, no gluten and dairy, high protein diet.
    Link to my rosacea blog:http://scarletnat.blogspot.com

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Country: United States

    Default

    This news makes me incredibly sad.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    135
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    I just learned the saddest news. IowaDavid, longstanding member of this forum and a personal friend of mine and from many people on here, has passed away.
    IowaDavid was 37 years old and a gifted writer with a wicked sense of humor. He designed a red LED light device for treating rosacea (Soothing Rain).

    https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...p?78-IowaDavid
    I am really sorry to hear this news. He was good enough to take the time out and offer his advice on dealing with rosacea, and for that I cannot thank him enough. RIP.

    burner

Similar Threads

  1. Question for RLT experts (iowadavid)
    By Jimbob in forum Low level light based therapies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th April 2016, 03:40 AM
  2. new to the forum (long post)
    By divogal1170 in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th November 2013, 07:22 AM
  3. IOWADAVID and others PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
    By Annelou in forum Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2nd May 2013, 11:46 AM
  4. Doxy results (new forum member)
    By Doug120 in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th February 2011, 11:10 PM
  5. THANKS IowaDavid!!
    By jennfran in forum Ocular Rosacea
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •