Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New SD Product (Dermadexin)

Jbleez,

There are more details about the mode of action of action given in the Patent specification. (See http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US8084049).

Whether the statements made in the patent are true or not is a matter of conjecture but it does seem that the mixing of a skin penetrating agent such as is suggested may have some effect.

A number of manufacturing concerns have investigated topical niacinamide e.g. P&G with Olay and others so I am not quite sure how this patent made the perilous journey through the legal system.

Hi James

This has been on my radar for over two years. I also think it looks very promising as a treatment for this condition. But we'll see when it's out, which should be pretty soon. The mode of action is described in the brochure:

Mechanism of Action (MoA)
    innovative dual moa
    It is now well-established that the peripheral nerves in the skin interplay with dermal cells and infiltrating leukocytes in the pathophysiology of dermatitis, even with different underlying pathogeneses. Neurotransmitters like substance P and endocannabinoids play a central role in dermal inflammation together with the traditional inflammatory mediators such as cytokines, chemokines, eicosanoids, kinins and histamine.

Dermadexin™ is based on the proprietary pharmacologically active principle P3CGM with a unique dual mechanism of action (MoA):

• Inhibition of fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH), which is induced in dermal inflammation. FAAH is responsible for the breakdown of anti-pruritic and anti-inflammatory dermal endocannabinoids.This MoA gives rise to enhanced dermal endocannabinoid levels which exert anti-inflammatory effects via cannabinoid receptors on peripheral sensory nerve endings and various inflammatory cells including leukocytes and keratinocytes.
    • Inhibition of Nuclear Factor Kappa B (NF-kB) mediated inflammatory gene expression. This MoA gives rise to lower dermal levels of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines.

The results from the clinical trials they held are quite positive.

2016 is an interesting year regarding new treatments for seb derm with 2 new products coming out, the other one being the microcyn-based gel with hypochlorous acid as the active ingredient. It's great to finally see products targeting this specific condition, we're not exactly spoiled on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Hi James

This has been on my radar for over two years. I also think it looks very promising as a treatment for this condition. But we'll see when it's out, which should be pretty soon. The mode of action is described in the brochure:

The results from the clinical trials they held are quite positive.

2016 is an interesting year regarding new treatments for seb derm with 2 new products coming out, the other one being the microcyn-based gel with hypochlorous acid as the active ingredient. It's great to finally see products targeting this specific condition, we're not exactly spoiled on that front.

Hi One,

I actually e-mailed the FDA this past week asking the status (510K) of Dermadexin and am awaiting a response. I know they are not aloud to divulge too much concrete info but I just asked if there was anything they could share. I really hope its out before the winter hits. It looks more promising than the other product. I actually made a post about the hypochlorous acid solution earlier in the year. Oculus is behind that product and they are saying it will be out by June 30th. Johnabetts had some info on the microcyn gel which made it not sound like it has too much to offer. Either way though I will try it as soon as I can get my hands on it and hopefully it can at least help a little until Dermadexin hits the market.

James

I'm normally extremely sceptical about studies claiming significant results after just a couple weeks, but since their approach is entirely focused on repairing the skin barrier function and inhibiting inflammation, rather than the standard approach of attacking the yeast through antifungals, perhaps such a quick recovery is plausible? (Corticosteroids and calcineurin inhibitors reduce the inflammatory response but as far as I'm aware do nothing to repair a compromised skin barrier, which I think is ultimately the underlying issue of any dermatitic reaction.)

It's interesting to note that in their clinical trials even the vehicle-only cream used as control exhibited significant improvement in seb derm, which is promising for whatever proprietary technology they're using in the vehicle.

I'm curious to know how effective this would be in a combination therapy (i.e. used in conjunction with climbazole), because it seems ideal to have a treatment that is effective at both repairing the skin barrier and keeping Malassezia populations in check.

But anyway, just like everyone else I hope this isn't yet another "too good to be true" cream, and I'm guessing there wouldn't be any independent studies done on this for quite some time, so it'd basically be up to us to give it a shot once it's available.

Yes I agree that the barrier repairing qualities of Dermadexin look the most promising. Also in the patent link that Johnabetts provided it says that the active ingredient P3CGM has been shown to fight staph aureus (even resistant strains) which researchers now believe to play a bigger role in seb derm. The latest research doesn't even point to malassezia but staph now. Check out this link http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/d...ngus-29052016/
    There are others like it in case people just think it's a sham.
    It seems it's less about killing all the malassezia you can but rather about promoting a healthy balance between certain bacteria and fungi. Either way though Dermadexin looks promising in its ability to heal and repair. This might explain why antifungal creams have been so useless to a lot of us.

Hi

Some more information I found on Health Canada's website:
    http://webprod5.hc-sc.gc.ca/lnhpd-bd...68209&lang=eng

It lists ingredients and instructions for use. Apparently it's 4.0 % Niacinamide; there's this study where they used that same dose:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23763270
    So 4.0 % seems to be the therapeutic dose. Has anyone used any product with at least 4.0 % niacinamide to treat seb derm then please share your experience !

Dermadexin was approved in Canada this April and it's approved in EU since 2014. In the US it's under review by FDA since August 2015, so it should soon be cleared there as well I think.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Hi

Some more information I found on Health Canada's website:
    http://webprod5.hc-sc.gc.ca/lnhpd-bd...68209&lang=eng

It lists ingredients and instructions for use. Apparently it's 4.0 % Niacinamide; there's this study where they used that same dose:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23763270
    So 4.0 % seems to be the therapeutic dose. Has anyone used any product with at least 4.0 % niacinamide to treat seb derm then please share your experience !

Dermadexin was approved in Canada this April and it's approved in EU since 2014. In the US it's under review by FDA since August 2015, so it should soon be cleared there as well I think.
    Cerave PM contains 4% niacinamide, and many people on this forum use it regularly because it's one of the few widely available moisturisers that don't have any food-grade oils that can potentially exacerbate seb derm. I've been using products with approximately 4% niacinamide for a long time due to its positive effects on my acne. But it is not enough to treat seb derm. That's why I think if there's anything revolutionary about this cream it is its unique delivery technology that helps restore the skin barrier, and not simply the amount of niacinamide it contains.

up for awareness. has anyone got this product?

Quote Originally Posted by davekee View Post
    up for awareness. has anyone got this product?
    As far as I'm aware it's not around until 2017.

ok, up for awareness again. looking forward to it