Thread: Hypochlorous acid as a treatment for p&p rosacea

Default Hypochlorous acid as a treatment for p&p rosacea

Having recently been diagnosed with subtype 2 rosacea, or "acne rosacea" as my dermatologist described it I have been doing some research (googling) around the topic of demodex mites and how to eradicate them. I came across this American academy of Optometry case report (http://www.aaopt.org/treatment-demod...id-case-report) which details the use of hypochlorus acid in the treatment of demodex folliculorum around the eyelashes of patients.

The interesting thing is that unlike other methods of killing off demodex mites like tea tree oil this acid doesn't seem to be irritating to the skin. There is a commercial product called Avenova which contains this acid and is used for cleaning the eyelashes/eyelids but it doesn't mention anywhere whether it would be suitable for use elsewhere on the face.

I was wondering if anybody here had tried hypochlorus acid for treatment of demodex on the face, not necessarily the eyelids, and if they had any success with it? Would this just be a poor substitution for Soolantra?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, I did use the search function to see if this had come up before but I couldn't find anything.

Red face Hypochlorous acid for demodex

Quote Originally Posted by sennheiser View Post
    Having recently been diagnosed with subtype 2 rosacea, or "acne rosacea" as my dermatologist described it I have been doing some research (googling) around the topic of demodex mites and how to eradicate them. I came across this American academy of Optometry case report (http://www.aaopt.org/treatment-demod...id-case-report) which details the use of hypochlorus acid in the treatment of demodex folliculorum around the eyelashes of patients.

The interesting thing is that unlike other methods of killing off demodex mites like tea tree oil this acid doesn't seem to be irritating to the skin. There is a commercial product called Avenova which contains this acid and is used for cleaning the eyelashes/eyelids but it doesn't mention anywhere whether it would be suitable for use elsewhere on the face.

I was wondering if anybody here had tried hypochlorus acid for treatment of demodex on the face, not necessarily the eyelids, and if they had any success with it? Would this just be a poor substitution for Soolantra?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, I did use the search function to see if this had come up before but I couldn't find anything.
    Hello, I did similar research and the findings are positive that it reduces demodex populations by killing the nymph forms of the mites. It is now being used by optometrists for demodex in the eyelashes. The research states it less irritating than tea tree oil...in fact not irritating at all. I just ordered some from Amazon. It is called Briotech HOLC and comes in a spray bottle. The reviews are positive as well. Hope this helps someone!

From what I read, HOCL is bactericide so I would not use it, because demodex are not the only ones that will be destroyed by it. You need flora on your skin, and just wipe it out with that kind of substance won't do good in the end.
    Maybe it could be better to look on probiotic and prebiotic creams.

But maybe you have other informations to provide regarding HOCL and beneficial skin flora.

I read about a skincare line called Cln that has a similar form of that ingredient. Works as an antibacterial in a similar way to bleach baths.

Hypochorite has been around for over a century as a bleach and disinfectant.

For more medical grades use the search box, top right, with the keyword Milton.

I began using this just a couple days ago..I simply spray it on my cheeks and forehead at bed time, and in morning. It has a faint bleach, Chlorine smell. No irritation, I noticed the first day it seems to be a little drying but it is winter and the moisture may have just left things a little chapped.. Today no issues so far. I tried it on the back of my hand first on a chapped section and kinda forgot about it. two days later and redness is gone and healing nicely. Time will tell. I also started a low dose aspirin a day regiment to help with flushing. I am in my mid 40's and heart disease runs in my family so I figured why not. If I don't see any improvement after a few weeks I will wean myself off. I began using Prosacea skin cream and it did knock the P&P on my cheeks way down within a 4 or 5 days, once these seemed under control I switched to the HOCL spray to see how it goes. I use Coconut oil as a moisturizer if I feel a little scaly.