Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MCT Oil

Quote Originally Posted by savino View Post
    I hope you don't mind me asking but which antibiotics were you taking? Although I've always had SD I believe that it really went out of control after taking Doxycycline. I read more and more stories about the same thing happening to other people on this forum. MCT oil won't do much on it's own, you need an anti fungal like climbazole for treatment. It can be used daily.
    This may be TMI but I never had any issues until I had all of the antibiotics in such a short span. I had a root canal that went bad and led to an apicoectomy last Mar so they prescribed Keflex because I thought I had an allergy to penicillin. Apicoectomy failed and got an abscess in Sept so took penicillin after tests showed I wasn't allergic to it. Had the tooth extracted 2 weeks later and took amoxicillin for infection that hadn't completely cleared. Got a bad rash from amoxicillin so took azythromicin at end of Jan when they put implant in. I take probiotics and took extra during the antibiotics but I think the yeast still won out. Naturopath did OAT which showed increased yeast and bacteria in small intestine. That and white tongue led me to Candida diet. Started that on Feb 10 and two weeks later saw the first MF. Originally thought it was candida yeast or die-off from diet so treated it as such. Started reading boards like this and realized it might be MF instead. Went to dermatologist and he prescribed selenium sulfide wash daily and ketoconazole cream twice daily for last week and it's clearing up. Just some rough bumps on my back remain. He also biopsied one of the pustules but haven't gotten results back. The fact that it's clearing with this treatment leads me to believe it's MF.

The bad news is I have another root canal that has failed so will need that tooth extracted in next week or two which means more antibiotics. I've taken more antibiotics in the last uear than I've had in my prior 57 years combined. Ugh!

My question is do you still put the cream on daily after it clears up as I've heard it usually reoccurs? It would be nice to use the mct daily and then bring out the ketoconazole and selenium sulfide when it flares up. Climbazole sounds more effective than ketoconazole but it appears that you have to make your own lotion or cream which I don't want to have to do. Have they come out with a climbazole cream in the US yet? Is climbazole cream less toxic to your body than ketoconazole cream? I've also seen people use zinc pyrithione soaps and mandelic acid. Thoughts on those?

Good luck with your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    MCT oil doesn't cure anything but it helps the skin repair itself and doesn't feed malassezia. You can apply it straight from the bottle, though it would be easiest if your skin was damp, like from the shower or with a spray bottle full of water, and a 2nd spray bottle for the MCT oil. Natural sebum plus water may increase the emulsifier-result. It's still going to be too greasy, although that shouldn't matter much for applying it at night to your torso.
    Thanks, Tom! The spray bottle idea sounds great. Is it greasier than straight coconut oil?

I never had a problem until I took all of thise antibiotics. I'm currently doing daily selenium sulfide wash and twice daily ketoconazole cream. It seems to be clearing up but I've read here that it often reoccurs. Was trying to construct a daily maintenance routine that would help keep it in check without having to do the ss wash and ketoconazole cream every day. Thoughts? I know you've had success with climbazole but I don't think I can create my own lotion like you do. I saw the Mustela shampoo has climbazole but I think you said it didn't help. Any suggestions? I bought some zinc pyrithione soap as I've seen others claim it helps but I don't think you are a big fan. How about mandelic acid? Any other new products? Thanks in advance. Really appreciate all your advice and insight.

MCT oil is slightly less greasy than coconut oil, but it's much too oily to apply to your face and go out in public, in my opinion.

You can buy a climbazole-based shampoo, Hegor 150, from baroness.co -- it will ship from Bulgaria so there is a fairly high shipping cost, and, it's an SLS-based shampoo so it's irritating to some people. Hegor didn't irritate my skin, but it left my hair thin and lifeless, so I assume it did much the same to my skin. At the time though, Hegor was a huge breakthrough for my healing process.

It makes sense that antibiotics change the skin's microbiome-constituents. I've seen articles that contend each person's body has more foreign DNA than his or her own DNA. But taking antibiotics for a tooth abscess is sensible, because that could have killed you. You made the right choice and now you have to deal with the consequences. Best wishes.

MCT oil is slightly less greasy than coconut oil, but it's much too oily to apply to your face and go out in public, in my opinion.

You can buy a climbazole-based shampoo, Hegor 150, from baroness.co -- it will ship from Bulgaria so there is a fairly high shipping cost, and, it's an SLS-based shampoo so it's irritating to some people. Hegor didn't irritate my skin, but it left my hair thin and lifeless, so I assume it did much the same to my skin. At the time though, Hegor was a huge breakthrough for my healing process.

It makes sense that antibiotics change the skin's microbiome-constituents. I've seen articles that contend each person's body has more foreign DNA than his or her own DNA. But taking antibiotics for a tooth abscess is sensible, because that could have killed you. You made the right choice and now you have to deal with the consequences. Best wishes.
    If you've moved on from climbazole, what is your routine like now?

No, I still use climbazole, in a lotion and a shampoo/shower scrub, once a day. The principal new component is olive squalene oil, which is more "silky" than MCT oil.

No, I still use climbazole, in a lotion and a shampoo/shower scrub, once a day. The principal new component is olive squalene oil, which is more "silky" than MCT oil.
    Have you replaced MCT oil as your primary moisturizer with olive squalene oil? MCT oil has given me bad reactions.
    Also, one more question at the risk of hijacking the thread, do you have any insight into producing climbazole in gel or something that doesn't require cetyl alcohol? I am allergic/intolerant to "fatty alcohols" based on my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy22 View Post
    Have you replaced MCT oil as your primary moisturizer with olive squalene oil? MCT oil has given me bad reactions.
    Also, one more question at the risk of hijacking the thread, do you have any insight into producing climbazole in gel or something that doesn't require cetyl alcohol? I am allergic/intolerant to "fatty alcohols" based on my experience.
    There seems to be a few of us, the really unlucky ones, who are allergic to all sorts of chemicals along with MCT oil. Just wondering, what kind of reactions are you getting from MCT oil? Are you sure the reactions aren't from other products? It could also be a "die off" reaction.

No, I've added a small amount of olive squalane oil to the mix, which still includes MCT oil.

You can thicken with hydro-polymers like propylene glycol aginate, hydroypropyl methycellulose, or co-polymer acrylates. There are many others but I use these. They are sticky feeling compared to cetearyl alcohol and would probably make a serum rather than a lotion, by conventional definitions. I don't use cetyl alcohol.

MCT oil is nearly inert as an oil. It doesn't do any harm. I suspect you're having a reaction for another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by savino View Post
    There seems to be a few of us, the really unlucky ones, who are allergic to all sorts of chemicals along with MCT oil. Just wondering, what kind of reactions are you getting from MCT oil? Are you sure the reactions aren't from other products? It could also be a "die off" reaction.
    I've tried applying various amounts of it to different parts of my skin. In clear areas, it seemed fine. Little to no evidence of clogged pores /new acne. When I applied it to areas with dermatitis, such as by my nose, it caused it to flare. Scaling appeared where there was none before and the dermatitis propagated to areas around it. Very dark red, inflamed, etc. Basically, I applied to oil to the affected area and a small area around it, and it spread to the entire area almost overnight.

I've replicated this several times with varying amounts of MCT oil, in case it was just over application. I've also waited periods for it to clear and re-tested and got the same results. All oils I tried previously that are supposed to "feed" dermatitis like jojoba oil, argan, hemp ,etc. did not cause this effect, but still made it worse.

I have reactions in this area around my nose to almost every product I've tried, from MCT oil to tons of supposedly inert moisturizers like Sebaderm to chemical and physical sunscreens, etc.
    I just use nothing on the area now except for a minute amount (a drop) of hydrocortisone valerate when the flare gets too bad to ignore every few weeks/months or so.

I use no products on my skin regularly and I only test one product at a time, so I'm guessing there's more to MCT oil than the current consensus would suggest.

There are many many skin conditions that appear with the same sign, red inflamed skin, which occurs because the immune system's first reaction is to create inflammation.

If you are reacting to MCT oil, it suggests a completely different causative agent than malassezia, which is the only causative agent that is somewhat neutralized by applying MCT oil, in order to partially displace malassezia's metabolic reliance on natural body sebum oils that are C12 to C22.

You may benefit from looking into lupus and psoriasis, or other similar and very complex condition that may have a neurological basis, rather than an ectoparasite basis, such as malassezia. I hope this advice isn't cold and distant sounding, because my purpose is only to point the reason why MCT oil works, and that it makes a difference only for people with an allergic reaction to malassezia.