Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MCT Oil

Default MCT Oil

Hello all.

Ive just got a bottle of said oil, before I start using it I was hoping for some advice on how others apply this to there seb derm.

Mine is mostly facial, also do you all use it if your going through a bad flare up?

Thanks

Well I've just started applying it directly.
    It's made an instant impact, I'd like to send a massive thank you to Tom Busby for putting the research in and sharing his knowledge.

Since i started using MCT oil in the above post, ive not used steroid cream or ketaconazole cream.
    Ive had no break outs of hot, itchy and burning sensations. No flaking.
    My skin is still a little red but its easily 80-90% better, job done as far as im concerned.
    PLEASE try this if you have seb derm on the face.

Are you using this orally or topically? I checked Wikipedia who redirected to Medium-chain triglyceride which says, "Rich sources for commercial extraction of beneficial MCTs include palm kernel oil and coconut oil." So I am assuming you are using a coconut oil? DylanG wrote in this thread (post #9) , "I might give the MCT oil another try as simply a moisturiser, but I will need to figure out a different carrier oil for the TTO." There are several threads in RF that refer to using TTO along with MCT oil as the base in a topical treatment (here is the list).
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Are you using this orally or topically? I checked Wikipedia who redirected to Medium-chain triglyceride which says, "Rich sources for commercial extraction of beneficial MCTs include palm kernel oil and coconut oil." So I am assuming you are using a coconut oil? DylanG wrote in this thread (post #9) , "I might give the MCT oil another try as simply a moisturiser, but I will need to figure out a different carrier oil for the TTO." There are several threads in RF that refer to using TTO along with MCT oil as the base in a topical treatment (here is the list).
    I apply it directly to my face and (chest sternum as needed) as a moisturiser almost daily, only at night before bed.
    It keeps my skin from drying out which leads to the start of a flare up.
    I started using it because it was Tom Busby recommended it.

Here is a quote he wrote.

The only oils that can't be metabolized are MCT oil, which is C8 and C10, and petrolatum, which is C22 and longer. These aren't found in nature -- MCT oil is vacuum distilled from coconut oil or palm oil (whereby the lighter, shorter carbon chains boil off first), and petrolatum is distilled from hydrocarbons produced by oil wells.

Malassezia's closest relative is a type of corn smut, so it's reasonable to assume that plant oils were its original food source, and then malassezia evolved into a fungus living on mammals. It's also reasonable to assume that malassezia has been around a lot longer than humans, and is very adaptable.

Your skin will of course continue to produce natural sebum, so using MCT oil (caprylic/capric triglycerides) won't cure anything, but it won't make the problem worse, and is a very light, odorless, colorless oil, with a two year shelf life.

It really has helped, the longest ive been without being controlled by my/our condition. I should also mention I only use an electric shaver and touch up with a razor with water only.
    Last edited by sparky7ot; 18th January 2017 at 07:37 PM.

Hi,

I'm new to the board so please forgive me if the answer is posted elsewhere. I'm interested in using MCT oil. I have MF and my skin is getting quite dry from all of the fungal washes. Would appreciate some guidance what brands and types you recommend. I assume the best place to purchase it is Amazon? Thanks!

Now Sports is the most available brand of MCT oil, and is sold at Whole Foods for about $27 per liter, and at Hi-Health for about $20 per liter when you buy 2 bottles. It's sold on-line too, but the glass bottles are heavy and the shipping costs probably make in-store purchases more economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Now Sports is the most available brand of MCT oil, and is sold at Whole Foods for about $27 per liter, and at Hi-Health for about $20 per liter when you buy 2 bottles. It's sold on-line too, but the glass bottles are heavy and the shipping costs probably make in-store purchases more economical.
    Thanks, Tom! Just ordered some. I know you said it's a bit greasy so you make your special lotion. My MF is on my chest and back so it won't matter so much if it's thick. Can I just put it on straight from the bottle? Can I use it daily? Did I also read on here that by using MCT oil it helps prevent it from recurring?

My MF is from 4 rounds of antibiotics in the last year for a bad root canal that now has an implant. Prescription selenium sulfide wash and ketoconazole cream has almost cleared it up. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to take another round of antibiotics in the next few weeks as I have another infected root canal that needs to be extracted. Any advice on how to prepare against another outbreak? Thanks so much for all of your valuable insight and advice on this board.

MCT oil doesn't cure anything but it helps the skin repair itself and doesn't feed malassezia. You can apply it straight from the bottle, though it would be easiest if your skin was damp, like from the shower or with a spray bottle full of water, and a 2nd spray bottle for the MCT oil. Natural sebum plus water may increase the emulsifier-result. It's still going to be too greasy, although that shouldn't matter much for applying it at night to your torso.

Quote Originally Posted by HighOvercoat View Post
    Thanks, Tom! Just ordered some. I know you said it's a bit greasy so you make your special lotion. My MF is on my chest and back so it won't matter so much if it's thick. Can I just put it on straight from the bottle? Can I use it daily? Did I also read on here that by using MCT oil it helps prevent it from recurring?

My MF is from 4 rounds of antibiotics in the last year for a bad root canal that now has an implant. Prescription selenium sulfide wash and ketoconazole cream has almost cleared it up. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to take another round of antibiotics in the next few weeks as I have another infected root canal that needs to be extracted. Any advice on how to prepare against another outbreak? Thanks so much for all of your valuable insight and advice on this board.
    I hope you don't mind me asking but which antibiotics were you taking? Although I've always had SD I believe that it really went out of control after taking Doxycycline. I read more and more stories about the same thing happening to other people on this forum. MCT oil won't do much on it's own, you need an anti fungal like climbazole for treatment. It can be used daily.