Thread: Tracking changes in nose for early detection of Rhinophyma

Default Tracking changes in nose for early detection of Rhinophyma

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with rosacea about a month ago, which only affects the tip of my nose where I was burned very badly as a teenager. My derm suggested I try using Alphagan P (brimonidine tartrate) drops mixed with a product called AlzClear (lotion) for the redness and inflammation; a preparation which I'm sure some of you are probably familiar with. I have had large cyst-like flare ups in the past that occur in tandem with inflammation, but they have been very rare in the last two years, with almost exclusively inflammation on the tip of nose, sensitivity to heat, and a dull ache that persists for several days.

Considering that at the moment these bouts of inflammation are only occurring about once a month, and that these cyst pimple-like protrusions have not occurred for a long time, I have decided not to use daily doxycycline, and just use the drops with Alzclear to control the redness and inflammation. I also apply sunscreen every day now (i NEVER used to use it). My derm mentioned that the flare ups are infrequent enough to consider not treating it with daily doxycycline. However, now that I am more acquainted with the symptoms and presentation, I am almost certain that my nose has become progressively more bulbous over the last few years, and noticed that the skin has become tough around the area that is usually inflamed.

Being a health professional myself (and probably assuming the worst) I am very concerned that I might be in the early stages of Rhinophyma, and being 27 years old, am very worried about what the future may hold.

So..I was wondering if any of you have some strategies which may help track changes in my nose objectively, as my derm mentioned if I notice changes in my nose structure I should contact him again and rethink treatment strategy and management. I think because I am so worried I may be overreacting and confusing the currrent inflammation with a permanent change, so I am seeking some knowledge (and perhaps reassurance!) here.

Jonathon.

I have the same question and will follow the thread for some advice. Im worried about my nosetip left side where i can see a bit bumpier skin in areas around bloodvessels. It doesent affect my apperance ( yet) but i want to make shure that i will do what ever i can to prevent the development.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    Hi there,

I was diagnosed with rosacea about a month ago, which only affects the tip of my nose where I was burned very badly as a teenager. My derm suggested I try using Alphagan P (brimonidine tartrate) drops mixed with a product called AlzClear (lotion) for the redness and inflammation; a preparation which I'm sure some of you are probably familiar with. I have had large cyst-like flare ups in the past that occur in tandem with inflammation, but they have been very rare in the last two years, with almost exclusively inflammation on the tip of nose, sensitivity to heat, and a dull ache that persists for several days.

Considering that at the moment these bouts of inflammation are only occurring about once a month, and that these cyst pimple-like protrusions have not occurred for a long time, I have decided not to use daily doxycycline, and just use the drops with Alzclear to control the redness and inflammation. I also apply sunscreen every day now (i NEVER used to use it). My derm mentioned that the flare ups are infrequent enough to consider not treating it with daily doxycycline. However, now that I am more acquainted with the symptoms and presentation, I am almost certain that my nose has become progressively more bulbous over the last few years, and noticed that the skin has become tough around the area that is usually inflamed.

Being a health professional myself (and probably assuming the worst) I am very concerned that I might be in the early stages of Rhinophyma, and being 27 years old, am very worried about what the future may hold.

So..I was wondering if any of you have some strategies which may help track changes in my nose objectively, as my derm mentioned if I notice changes in my nose structure I should contact him again and rethink treatment strategy and management. I think because I am so worried I may be overreacting and confusing the currrent inflammation with a permanent change, so I am seeking some knowledge (and perhaps reassurance!) here.

Jonathon.
    Does your nose flush and turn red?. Also when you get flare ups on your nose what exactly happens, is it a burning feeling and severe flushes or just cysts appearing.

Default Tracking changes in nose for early detection of Rhinophyma

Try cream Soolantra, or ZZ cream http://www.demodexsolutions.com/zhon...t-zz-cream.asp
    or the NuStock+zinc oxide cream mix https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ry-this-method!
    I know that the 2nd and 3rd treatment may seem "out of the question" for a health care professional, but when everything else fails, it's best to think out of the frame.

In my experience, I never had nose
    Symptoms until accidentally spraying
    Essential oils on my face where my nose
    Got a direct hit. This was about 2 years ago.

Anyway, since then I've had periodic
    Nose flushing and swelling. I have
    Seb derm as well as rosacea. But
    Being older ( 60) my seb derm is
    Incredibly dry and not typically red
    As most others report. So I have
    Experimented with supplements,
    Meds, creams etc... I will share
    What works best for me. As time has
    Gone on I'm like anyone on this thread
    Which is to say, how can I slow this process?

Here are some things that work
    For me:

-- drink, eat nothing hot
    -- try not to expose skin to heat

Products:

Elidel prescription only, in one or
    Two week rotations. Morning and
    Night. Brings down swelling and
    Redness.

Supplement Nicomide. Other threads
    On this. It brings a nose flare under
    Control in an hour.