Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivermectin Interactions/ Toxicity (Just wanted to warn you guys!)

Exclamation Ivermectin Interactions/ Toxicity (Just wanted to warn you guys!)

Hi everyone!

So It's been understood that Ivermectin is a potent and effective anti-parasitic drug. They use it to treat river blindness in humans within countries where that is an epidemic. It is also used in mammals for heart worms. I know the drug is toxic to collies because of a defect in a p-glycoprotein (MDR1) and clearly it is toxic to the parasites. Because of this, I thought to myself-- why isn't this toxic in me??

When I was googling it, I learned that it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier in humans. However, there are drugs that people take which can increase the likelihood that it will cross this barrier. I know a lot of rosacea sufferers suffer from anxiety and use beta-blockers/benzodiazepines for assistance with flushing so that's why I wanted to warn you all.

**Some of the drugs contraindicated for use with Ivermectin are:

Benzodiazepines (Any GABA-potentiating drug used to treat anxiety/seizures): i.e. Klonopin, Xanax, Gabapentin, Valium
    Calcium Channel Blockers: i.e. Amlodipine, Verapamil
    Statins (Cholesteral Lowering Drugs): i.e. Lipitor, Zocor
    Glucocorticoids (Steroids): i.e. Cortisone, Hydrocortisone
    HIV protease inhibitors
    Alcohol

It's my understanding that these drugs increase the likelihood that the drug will cross this barrier and be toxic to your central nervous system. I don't know if this is indicated in the low dose that comes in Soolantra or that it is even relevant in topical Ivermectin but I think it's something to be discussed/looked into.

I need to talk to my doctor because to be honest I'm pretty upset about this finding. I have anxiety and take Klonopin as needed and to think that I can't try this drug that might be the answer to my long-term skin issues has really bummed me out. If anyone has some insight into this, please share...
    Last edited by rosiekat; 7th March 2016 at 04:14 PM.

I don't take any of the above drugs, but the second and third dose caused me muscular fatigue and sleepiness. The first dose was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    I don't take any of the above drugs, but the second and third dose caused me muscular fatigue and sleepiness. The first dose was fine.
    Interesting. Did you stop taking it?

Yes, I stopped. I continue with the topical ivermectin.

It caused me severe fatigue as well. Lasts 1-4 days

Quote Originally Posted by Home_Stretch View Post
    It caused me severe fatigue as well. Lasts 1-4 days
    Do you still use the cream?

Does anyone who currently uses Soolantra also take benzo's and not have any problems with it?

Quote Originally Posted by rosiekat View Post
    Do you still use the cream?
    I actually continued the oral for a while.

I suspect i probably needed about 4 more doses of oral ivermectin but i had already taken a lot so i had to be done with it. It worked as much as it was going to work.

I still use the topical, every other day, while alternating with new stock and I also take antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiekat View Post
    Hi everyone!

So It's been understood that Ivermectin is a potent and effective anti-parasitic drug. They use it to treat river blindness in humans within countries where that is an epidemic. It is also used in mammals for heart worms. I know the drug is toxic to collies because of a defect in a p-glycoprotein (MDR1) and clearly it is toxic to the parasites. Because of this, I thought to myself-- why isn't this toxic in me??

When I was googling it, I learned that it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier in humans. However, there are drugs that people take which can increase the likelihood that it will cross this barrier. I know a lot of rosacea sufferers suffer from anxiety and use beta-blockers/benzodiazepines for assistance with flushing so that's why I wanted to warn you all.

**Some of the drugs contraindicated for use with Ivermectin are:

Benzodiazepines (Any GABA-potentiating drug used to treat anxiety/seizures): i.e. Klonopin, Xanax, Gabapentin, Valium
    Calcium Channel Blockers: i.e. Amlodipine, Verapamil
    Statins (Cholesteral Lowering Drugs): i.e. Lipitor, Zocor
    Glucocorticoids (Steroids): i.e. Cortisone, Hydrocortisone
    HIV protease inhibitors
    Alcohol

It's my understanding that these drugs increase the likelihood that the drug will cross this barrier and be toxic to your central nervous system. I don't know if this is indicated in the low dose that comes in Soolantra or that it is even relevant in topical Ivermectin but I think it's something to be discussed/looked into.

I need to talk to my doctor because to be honest I'm pretty upset about this finding. I have anxiety and take Klonopin as needed and to think that I can't try this drug that might be the answer to my long-term skin issues has really bummed me out. If anyone has some insight into this, please share...
    Hi,

I have looked all over the internet and nowhere can I find a citation or even a suggestion where it states that Clonazepam interacts with Ivermectin and that taking them at the same time will allow/cause Ivermectin to cross the brain blood barrier.

May I please ask if you can list your source and a link to this important information and interaction?

It would be most helpful.

Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    Hi,
    I have looked all over the internet and nowhere can I find a citation or even a suggestion where it states that Clonazepam interacts with Ivermectin and that taking them at the same time will allow/cause Ivermectin to cross the brain blood barrier.
    May I please ask if you can list your source and a link to this important information and interaction?
    It would be most helpful.
    Thank you kindly.
    On Wikipedia, under Side Effects, it states, "Since drugs that inhibit CYP3A4 enzymes often also inhibit P-glycoprotein transport, the risk of increased absorption past the blood-brain barrier exists when ivermectin is administered along with other CYP3A4 inhibitors. These drugs include statins, HIV protease inhibitors, many calcium channel blockers, and glucocorticoids such as dexamethasone, lidocaine, and the benzodiazepines."

• Goodman and Gilman's Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 11th edition, pages 122, 1084–1087.*

Clonazepam is a tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine class. Wikipedia
    "Clonazepam". The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Archived from the original on 2015-09-05. Retrieved Aug 15, 2015.*

Under Pharmacokinetics, it states, [Ivermectin] does not readily cross the blood–brain barrier of mammals due to the presence of P-glycoprotein,[34] (the MDR1 gene mutation affects function of this protein). Crossing may still become significant if ivermectin is given at high doses (in which case, brain levels peak 2–5 hr after administration). In contrast to mammals, ivermectin can cross the blood–brain barrier in tortoises, often with fatal consequences.
    [34] Borst P, Schinkel AH (June 1996). "What have we learnt thus far from mice with disrupted P-glycoprotein genes?". European Journal of Cancer. 32 (6): 985–990. doi:10.1016/0959-8049(96)00063-9. *

*Wikipedia citations
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th June 2018 at 10:54 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi