Thread: Ingredient data

Default Ingredient data

Hey,

gonna start trying to actively understand the ingredients for things in which I am putting into my body and my face or even hair. Probably do a +2, +1, neutral, -1, -2 system of the affects of a product on my skin and try narrow down which ingredients are affecting me and which are not. Hopefully I can understand the unique nature of rosacea towards myself.

Does anyone else follow a similar methodology? Any decent links, advise?

I'm going to do it in Excel

It might be easier to start with one simple ingredient and then add ingredients rather than trying moisturizers and cleansers that are cocktails of ingredients and trying to sort it out. For example, start with an unscented pure glycerin soap and a pure oil (coconut or jojoba for example) for moisturizer.

I was thinking of trying this (start with a few ingredients and then add more in) because I have severely reactive skin and worry that my soap (CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser) and/or lotion (Avene Tolerance Extreme) might be contributing. I haven't done very well with oils for moisturizers; have tended to do better with water and glycerin dominate ones. Has anyone ever compounded a moisturizer that didn't use oil but only had a few neutral ingredients? I tried just 1 part glycerin and 3 parts water and it seemed to burn at that ratio. My pharmacist is willing to compound glycerin with a few other things (or try something else) if we can figure out what to try. Thanks!

Hi AEB, you could start by selecting the oil you prefer. Try pure oils on your skin, preferably the crook of your arm (anti-cubital fossa), daily, for a week. Determine what you like.

Then, with the assistance of your compounding person, if it's a multi-purpose cosmetic compounder, you would choose the emulsifiers (thickeners) and the adjuncts (like xylitol, niacinamide, panthenol, and glycerin).

However, pharmacists have only a few "bases" (pre-mixed from a commercial supplier) for moisturizers, you could easily buy samples of the 2 or 3 choices and see what you like.

All of these bases are likely be merely different percentages of petrolatum mixed with water. Petrolatum is very greasy and sticky, and washes off very poorly, and is not very good in my opinion, especially for use on the face. But you should try them and see what you think. What are the names of your choices?