Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Why isn't there any oral medicine for derm seb, only for Rosacea?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default Why isn't there any oral medicine for derm seb, only for Rosacea?

    Hi guys,
    I'm at my wits' end...Too many years with this derm seb on my face only getting worse. Derm seb on a woman face is not good ...Why dont they have pills like oracea for us?????

    I used for a long time the corticosteroids creams, and used half of Ketoconazole cream tube, the big one...and it didn't see improvement. Over the counter psoriasis creami, and washes with saliisic acid for pimples.Then I stopped using corticosteroid cream on my face, but the skin keeps getting angry.... And maybe I got in trouble with this. I never get any sun....

    I'm gonna go back to the doct, and try to get Elidel cream..that's my last hope....

    Is there any new out there???? Any light therapy, any pills???

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    466
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Itraconazole pills supposedly work. The issue is that since it's a chronic condition it's probably not a good idea to treat it orally, as long-term use of systemic antifungals like itraconazole would wreak havoc on your liver.

    I guess it'd make sense to take just a short course of antifungal pills initially to clear it up, so long as it's combined with long-term topical treatment. And from what I gather climbazole is the best topical treatment for it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I've been having a similar problem--chronic seb derm and buildup for the past year. I was actually wondering if Vbeam or some laser treatment could help, since I have a combo of seb derm, rosacea-like pustules/rash and flushing that all seem to aggravate each other. Do you have flushing or other symptoms? I'm talking to a laser specialist soon (and posted about this recently)--I'll let you know what I find out. I've tried oral fluconozole a number of times, and tried elidel and soolantra briefly (but burning was too bad), and desonide briefly, but the seb derm keeps coming back. Since my skin is so sensitive to topicals I've been trying to find some oral med to help. I tried cyclosporine the last few months (since i have other rashes on my chest too) and it seemed to help a little but not dramatically. Feel free to PM me if you want more details on that, in case you want to ask your derm about trying it. If I find anything that works, I'll let you know! And if anyone else has a non-topical or oral solution that has worked for them, I'd love to hear about it too!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Also, have you been tested for demodex mites or tried anything topical/oral for that (soolantra, oral ivermectin, etc). When I didn't respond to antifungals and still had buildup I tried some of those demodex treatments to see if that was causing the buildup--no long-term response either but it might be something to look into. Hope this helps! I too am at my wit's end--I know how you feel... The constant flakiness is so itchy and irritating!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    208
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AEB View Post
    Also, have you been tested for demodex mites or tried anything topical/oral for that (soolantra, oral ivermectin, etc). When I didn't respond to antifungals and still had buildup I tried some of those demodex treatments to see if that was causing the buildup--no long-term response either but it might be something to look into. Hope this helps! I too am at my wit's end--I know how you feel... The constant flakiness is so itchy and irritating!
    Have you ever tried Sulfur / sulfacetamide cream or wash ? My jawline was pretty itchy a few weeks ago . My derm gave me both to try for my Rosacea , and I have been using the cream for my jawline and the itching is 90 % gone . I also started Oracea 3 days ago so not sure if that helped the itching too .

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monica777 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm at my wits' end...Too many years with this derm seb on my face only getting worse. Derm seb on a woman face is not good ...Why dont they have pills like oracea for us?????

    I used for a long time the corticosteroids creams, and used half of Ketoconazole cream tube, the big one...and it didn't see improvement. Over the counter psoriasis creami, and washes with saliisic acid for pimples.Then I stopped using corticosteroid cream on my face, but the skin keeps getting angry.... And maybe I got in trouble with this. I never get any sun....

    I'm gonna go back to the doct, and try to get Elidel cream..that's my last hope....

    Is there any new out there???? Any light therapy, any pills???
    Hey Monica, I have used Itraconazole pills for a week before and they had a good effect on clearing me up for the short term.
    I stopped using steroid cream on my face and this had the biggest influence on my improvements, but they don't happen over night.
    I use ketoconazole cream an take vit d and zinc tabs. My flare ups and less than they used to and they calm down quicker too.
    Ive accepted that ill never be sysmtom free and use make up when I have too.

    Good luck with your journey.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Aeb have you met with the laser doc yet? I also have redness from seb derm and am meeting with a laser specialist in 10 days to discuss possibly vbeam. I am very curious to see if the vbeam is know to help redness derived from seb derm

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogman87 View Post
    Aeb have you met with the laser doc yet? I also have redness from seb derm and am meeting with a laser specialist in 10 days to discuss possibly vbeam. I am very curious to see if the vbeam is know to help redness derived from seb derm
    I met with my laser doc last week and had a test spot. Bruised immediately and is slowly healing so I'll see how that goes. He didn't think Vbeam would help with seb derm per se, but that if i could reduce the flushing and warmth of my face (which is very severe--and the flushing seems to cause most of my redness) that might help with seb derm too. At the very least it might make it possible for me to use a topical. which I can't now from skin sensitivity. Going in for a larger test spot soon if this one heals nicely--I'll let you know if the seb derm is helped! Good luck with your doctor--let me know what you hear.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    France
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Interesting
    Thank to keep us update

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default Update on my Seb Derm

    Guys, thanks for who posted...
    I got so depressed I couldn't come back...
    But I came back today...I just came back from the dermatologist...

    However the doc I was going is no longer with the clinic, and she promised
    to give me Elidel if our last try with Ketoconazole didn't work.

    No such luck today because I got a resident doctor. She won't give me Elidel.

    Nice lady, she basically she said surely I have dermatitis sebs,
    but she wasn't unsure about these acne like bumps on my cheek.

    She got another doctor to see my face....

    So here come this young guy, very entusiastic guy, who looked at my face from a distance,
    and said, the capilaris I have are telangiectasias from rosacea.

    My frustation is:
    So, how come I'm going to the clinic, different doctors, told me always seb derm even when I had tiny veins on the cheek.
    Now this young doctor guy come and say rosacea.

    Couldnt the pimples and tiny veins be:
    a side effect from the numerous bottles of Desonide and hydrocortisone tubes of 2.5%
    hydrocortisone, used since 2007?

    So, they prescribed me some lotion.... I was gonna take a picture but
    my face is full of ketoconazole, I will try to take a photo of m y cheeck tomorrow.

    sorry for the long thread.

Similar Threads

  1. 20 mg/d of Oral Isotretinoin for Seb Derm/Rosacea too much?
    By emanella in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd September 2013, 05:03 AM
  2. Anyone got some evidence that oral antifungal helps treat Seb Derm?
    By Adamklang in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 3rd June 2011, 10:53 PM
  3. Any oral (prescription or natural) things that will help seb derm?
    By snuffleupagus in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd June 2011, 07:51 AM
  4. Seb derm and supplements (oral and topical)
    By francois in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th May 2006, 07:48 PM
  5. Non-prescription (topical/oral products) for Seb Derm
    By Yvonne in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 30th January 2006, 04:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •