I would like to share with you all my experience of treating my seborrheic dermatitis induced skin problem in the last couple of years, which has been very successful. It's a home-made remedy - all natural - that works fantastically on myself and my mother and I am sharing it in hope that it may help others with similar problems. Also, if anybody does go ahead and tries it on themselves, I would be very curious to learn whether the positive outcome could be generalized.

Background:
I am a 37 year-old male with a mild chronic seborrheic dermatitis that shows primarily on my mustache area and eyebrows in the form of redness and scaling. It is especially exacerbated when I don't shave frequently enough and has a period of 1-2 weeks between peak symptoms. At the worst state, the scaling would make it awkward to go out, so I'd scrape it off as much as I can, only to have it flaring red instead. I also suffer from scaling and irritation on the scalp, but usually find this one much more easily treatable using commercial medical shampoos (selenium based).

Over the years the skin problem has come and gone, especially since I've been moving between countries and continents for the last 15 years. I've found that the different climates, food, water quality and mood I'm in have significant influence on my condition, so even when it was well controlled in one country, moving to another could reignite the whole thing. Long time ago I've tried a range of medical creams and alternative "natural" products from health shops and they invariably proved useless, or at best, their impact was very short-lived. I've also tried the famous apple cider vinegar treatment, along with the matching diet (I'm already on a vegan diet, so it was mostly cutting sugars), but here too the effect was excellent for a couple of days and then it was back to redness. Given the disappointing effect, the stench and hassle of the vinegar treatment, I had abandoned it quickly after and only applied it to my hair very rarely since.

Approach:

So I focused on self-made home-made creams. A good friend taught me how to make these natural moisturizing creams and after doing a couple of these, I could tell that they had some beneficial effect also on the skin irritation from the seborrheic dermatitis. But it was never strong enough, or long lasting. Several clues lately made me converge to a much better recipe until I hit it. I will spare the exact reasoning behind it, but I can informally justify all 5 ingredients, as you'll see below. I've made it already a couple of times to know that it's not very sensitive to exact quantities, which I anyway don't have. Also, I've made it in two countries (Denmark and Australia) with differently sourced ingredients. In between the two independent batches - I had to locate the ingredients in the local shops in Oz - the flaring increased back to the worst state of before. But as soon as I made that cream again, it was relieved and curbed. These factors make me more confident that it wasn't just a fluke. If you can get your hands on the ingredients, then it's not difficult to make and it lasts long before going rancid, if you keep your hands clean when using it.

The ingredients:
- Aloe vera gel (as pure as you can get it: 98-100%, ideally, with no foreign chemicals mixed in)
- Shea butter (100%)
- Macadamia oil (cold-pressed)
- Tea tree oil
- Lavender oil

- Optional: nice smelling essential oil such as geranium, lemongrass, patchouli, etc.

Preparation:
You'd need about a third of each in volume - aloe, shea butter and macadamia oil - to form the base. Aloe makes the substrate and texture, but dries up the skin, so its dryness is countered by the other two. The oil is very nourishing and fat, but is too liquid. The shea butter is more solid at room temperature and has fantastic effect on irritated skin and is good for moisturizing. I can't give you exact quantities, because I never measure. I usually use small amounts to fill a small jar, which I guess could be 30 ml of each of the three. You have to optimize the quantities until the texture feels right. Blend it very thoroughly using a hand-blender. When the cream looks good, try to rub it between your fingers to see how it feels and absorbs in the skin. It should be oily, but not too excessively so - the creaminess must be there too.

To this quantity I add 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 of lavender. This may be the key: too much would dry up your skin (I tried). At this quantity, the lubrication from the substrate still counters their effect, which is essential as anti-fungal agents.

If you find the smell of this cream too off-putting (it's not that bad really), you can add a few extra drops of another essential oil to mask it, which is otherwise neutral in effect.

That's it. You may have to keep the cream in the fridge for a while, until everything in it is well diffused. If it's very oily, then keep it there permanently.

Usage:
I thoroughly spread it on inflamed areas before going to sleep. When it was very bad, then also in the morning before going to work. It absorbs very quickly.

Effect:
For me (and my mom) (very low test sample indeed), it takes a few days before the redness and flakiness are gone. After that I'd use it for a while longer, but then it's not even necessary every day, as the condition is stabilized for a long period. Either way, it's a great cream for the skin in general, if you're into this kind of stuff.

As stated above, I don't really know if it would work on anybody else, but I am very curious. Also, if anybody tries it on other skin problems such as rosacea or psoriasis of different sorts. But it's really up to your own adventurous flair.