Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap and easy home test for Demodex

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Do you think you could distinguish demodex folliculorum from demodex brevis? DF is about 3-4 tenths of a mm, and DB is about 1-2 tenths of a mm.

DF lives in the follicles, with it's tail pointed out, and I'm guessing that is what you have in your videos. DB lives deep in the sebaceous gland, and I suspect would be much more difficult to pull out DB with a mask. In spite of the difficulties, this would be an interesting project.

Have you tried a stain to color demodex, (but not the background)? You might google confocal scanning microscopy, to see how researchers stain demodex.
    I'm really not sure whether I can distinguish the two. The only thing that is clear in that video is that one is much smaller than the other. It could just be a much more immature specimen.

I've not tried any staining. At the moment I don't have any demodex, not that I can find at least, as I've been reasonably good with the Tea Tree treatments I described. Those videos are from the last time I had a serious lapse in doing the treatments as my skin had been good for so long. Then I had a very stressful time and work, my sleep became far too short, my diet became very poor... I had boils that popped up and started spreading. The way they were spreading and itching at night made me think of demodex. That's when I tested and found lots and lots of them. I regret not considering them earlier as I was left with some scarring from the boils Once treated the boils stopped spreading, and finally started to clear up.

I checked my girlfriend, but she has great skin and I never found any on her. So unless I find someone suitable and willing to test, and that doesn't treat themselves the moment they see the mites that have just pulled out of their face, I won't really have the opportunity to try. I do have some stains, so if I get an opportunity I'll give it a go.

Maybe it's something one of the readers here could give a go?

You can add those two points:
    15. Congratulations, you cured your acne.
    16. You still have rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by illbeok View Post
    You can add those two points:
    15. Congratulations, you cured your acne.
    16. You still have rosacea.
    Care to elaborate? Or are you simply stating your belief that there is no connection between demodex and rosacea?

Nice videos!

In folliculorum is visible, but for the other thing it is touching, it is unclear for me to determine whether it is demodex at all.

About:
    9. Apply dilute (less than 1/8th) tea trea oil to whole head and face and leave overnight (ONLY after you've done a proper two day spot test! You may react!)
    10. Test again, they are probably all dead now and you wont find any live ones.

I find it difficult to belief that they are killed that easily with such a low TTO concentration in just 1 or 2 nights. I have used TTO, but with concentration of the product is unclear.
    Although I do think Soolantra is able to do damage to them in a short period of time.

Also note that almost everybody above a certain age carries demodex.

A technique similar to your mask peel off method is the standardized skin surface biopsy, used to determine demodex density:
    https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...s-folliculorum
    The Standardized Skin Surface Biopsy7,64,65 is a non invasive sampling method by which it is possible to collect 1 cm2
    of the superficial part of the horny layer and of the follicle content. It consists of placing a drop of cyanoacrylic adhesive (Loctite)
    on a microscope slide, applying the adhesive bearing surface of the slide to the skin, and removing it gently after it has been allowed
    to dry (about 1–3 min). Initially, a standard surface area of 1 cm2 is drawn on the slide with a red waterproof pen, traced by transparency
    after putting down the lamina on a sheet of standard square paper. The area of 1 cm2 is also divided into four equal
    squares to make the further counting of parasites easier. After removal from the skin, each sample is clarified with 2–3 drops of
    immersion oil, and then covered with a cover slip.
    I had boils that popped up and started spreading.
    Where these boils oozing clear yellow fluid with yellow crust formation?

Tso,

If you zoom in there are times when the smaller demodex is not being touched by the larger one and appears to have its own legs moving.

As for the boils, it's hard to remember, but I think so.

I had much better success rates with TTO than Permethrin. I originally used 1/2 TTO, but this was too harsh for my skin. It's better to start with 1/8 and build up concentration when you are comfortable your skin can take it. Obviously higher concentrations will kill them quicker, but note that I leave the oil on for 8hrs. I do not simply wash my face with it. Of course there maybe be products better suited to this. Soolantra maybe well do a better job, I haven't tried it myself.

I encourage anyone using products or planning to use products to kill demodex to test themselves with this method or others so that they can assess their effectiveness for themselves. The camera and peel costs next to nothing, and have many uses.

Default Performing this test - a couple questions

I have a friend working in a lab and he is willing to help me do this test and then examine the samples under his microscope. Unfortunately, my doc doesn't offer this service.

My rosacea/redness is on my cheeks, however. If I use a peel-off mask there, I don't know that will pull out plugs from the skin in the way it would when used on my nose - kind of similar to a Biore pore strip effect, where these little columns of junk come out. And if it doesn't....would I actually be able to tell what was going on beneath the surface?

Can this test be done on the cheeks? I don't know to get a proper sample from that area, something that goes deeper into the pores. Would just a scraping work?

Thank you so much!

Man I don't understand why those little ****ers are so hard to kill.