Thread: Hypoallergenic Pillowcase & Allergy Nose Spray?

Default Hypoallergenic Pillowcase & Allergy Nose Spray?

There are a couple of theories that I have come up with & wondered if anyone else had tried these.

I have read in this forum that others have recommended to change your pillowcase regularly, which I do, but I was wondering if anyone had tried a hypoallergenic pillow cover? These are good for people with allergies, because they keep dust mites out of your pillow. I figure, if they work for one type of mite, why not another?

The other thing that I wanted to try was a nasal allergy med (like Flonase). I definitely think that there is some allergic component to my type II rosacea, because my nose runs & my eyes water profusely whenever I try to apply concealer to my spots (even if it has healed & is just a red mark). I am allergic to just about everything, & have tried nasal allergy meds in the past (before I developed rosacea), but I preferred to take a tablet. I used to take them as needed, but for the past couple of years, I have taken them daily, & still have to carry tissues everywhere I go. I am hoping that the nasal spray will be more helpful than the tablets have been, & I'm curious to see if it has any effect on my rosacea.

Any thoughts, or has anyone tried either of these but still has rosacea?

I have a couple of pillowcases designed for acne, which I found do work quite well for rosacea. The key with pillowcases and bedding if they are going to have a positive affect on rosacea is to change them frequently - a common part of regimes to reduce demodex mites.

http://www.dermasilk.co.uk/onlinesho...__Bedding.html I have the Dermatherapy pillowcase at the top. They are certainly better than a normal pillowcase for rosacea - cooler, create less moisture and perhaps help with pustules as well if changed regularly - they're supposed to be anti bacterial.

For allergies, the best approach is probably to start with anti histamines - I use Benadryl once a day.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 25th January 2016 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I have a couple of pillowcases designed for acne, which I found do work quite well for rosacea. The key with pillowcases and bedding if they are going to have a positive affect on rosacea is to change them frequently - a common part of regimes to reduce demodex mites.

http://www.dermasilk.co.uk/onlinesho...__Bedding.html I have the Dermatherapy pillowcase at the top. They are certainly better than a normal pillowcase for rosacea - cooler, create less moisture and perhaps help with pustules as well if changed regularly - they're supposed to be anti bacterial.

For allergies, the best approach is probably to start with anti histamines - I use Benadryl once a day.
    What kind of pillows do you choose? I never know which kind to get in terms of being okay for rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post

Thanks for your reply, I had no idea that there were pillowcases designed for acne! I will definitely look into that.

I have tried many things for my allergies and am considering getting tested. I can't take Benadryl as it makes me drowsy. I used to take Claritin, but it didn't seem to be working well, so I switched to Zyrtec which works much better, but I still have a constant nasal drip. I did purchase some Flonase & within a week all of my papules had flattened out! I have even been able to eat some spicy foods without having any new breakouts! I have continued to take the Zrytec also, but I will probably wean off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    What kind of pillows do you choose? I never know which kind to get in terms of being okay for rosacea.
    The Dermatherapy Single pillow case is the one I bought from here. I have 2 now as I found them helpful. It's a good quality product I'd definitely recommend it. If you combine a dermatherapy pillow case with a Chillow underneath then it's very good if you feel too hot when sleeping. A Chillow is not actually a pillow, but a cooling pad you put inside the pillow case and above the pillow:

http://www.chillow.co.uk/

For anyone who has flushing that is hard to control I would highly recommend the combined option of a dermatherapy pillow case and a chillow.

Hi antswantsclear, I was wondering though what type of pillows you use. Down? Polyester fiberfill?

I tried the chillow and found it a challenge. But love the concept. I sleep on my back now. The slightest contact of my face to the pillow triggers flushing.

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    Hi antswantsclear, I was wondering though what type of pillows you use. Down? Polyester fiberfill?

I tried the chillow and found it a challenge. But love the concept. I sleep on my back now. The slightest contact of my face to the pillow triggers flushing.
    I think if you use the Dermatherapy pillowcase it won't matter too much which pillow you use as this is the surface you sleep on. There are certainly some pillows around that are meant to be cooler etc, but with the combination of the chillow and the dermatherapy pillowcase I don't really notice the difference. I found I just became used to the Chillow overtime but it does feel a bit different to start with. I think it's polyester I use. I certainly wouldn't have a feather pillowcase, as I find they cause itching.

*I wouldn't have a feather pillow I meant to say, not pillowcase.

Aller-Ease pillows are great and hot water washable.

Allersoft has good pillowcases. Mulberry silk ones work too, if you can get used to the texture of silk. Silk pillowcases kept my hair from tangling but I preferred cotton for my face.

Default Flonase and Dustmite Covers did not help

I Have allergies and have used dust mite covers on my pillows for years - along with Flonase for sinus allergies. I also wash my bedding every week in hot water.

Despite these habits I developed Rosacea. It can't hurt to try them though.