View Poll Results: Which topical or oral medication(s) are most effective for subtype 1 rosacea?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • topical metronidazole

0 0%
  • topical azelaic acid

0 0%
  • topical doxycycline

0 0%
  • topical ivermectin

2 40.00%
  • oral doxycycline

1 20.00%
  • oral ivermectin

0 0%
  • other oral antibiotic (e.g. rifaximin)

0 0%
  • combination of oral/topical (please specify)

1 20.00%
  • other topical/oral medications (please specify)

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Which topical or oral medication(s) are most effective for subtype 1 rosacea?

Default POLL: Which topical or oral medication(s) are most effective for subtype 1 rosacea?

There is a bounty of information to be gleaned from old threads, but it is sometimes a challenge to navigate through them for relevant or useful posts. Consequently, I am posting a poll to try and get some current feedback here.

It seems that a majority of oral/topical rosacea treatments are most effective at targeting subtype 2 (papulopustular rosacea); I am curious if any of the treatments indicated in the poll have been effective in treating your subtype 1 rosacea (erythematotelangiectatic rosacea).

Additional information is welcome, such as:

• if you have other rosacea subtypes that also benefited from treatment
    • how long it took to start seeing results
    • whether or not some of the listed medications did not work for you before finding one that did
    • whether natural supplements or topicals were more effective (please specify)
    • other treatments/advice you could offer to someone newly diagnosed with subtype 1 rosacea

no one.
    all are scams

if you have reddness (which not comes with papules/pustules), it is because your skin is damaged.
    you cant undo this fact.

thats all
    Last edited by kalis; 14th December 2015 at 04:35 PM.

Hello,

Soolantre helps me (currently at second month of treatment), redness reduced (but still here), better skin texture (smooth), less inflamation.

For redness i think the most effective is the vbeam laser treatment.

Hope it will helps you.

Thanks for the reply, Optimismum!

kalis, have you tried any of the rosacea treatments mentioned in the poll?

yes, ivemectim topical (soolantra). doxycycline oral. metronidazole (rozex)
    for damaged skin => nothing

ipl/pdl helped a little (10-15%) but it is still not good.

even if i did no try, azelaic acid (finacea) should obviously do nothing.
    Last edited by kalis; 15th December 2015 at 04:11 AM.

We're all different, so please don't be discouraged by my experience as far as the following topicals for sub1 go - they might work well for you and you should give it a try. That said:

Metrogel/Rozex/Rozamet - had no effect, dried out my skin. Might work well for sub2's p&p's, but did nothing for me.
    Azelaic acid - didn't have a good experience with the 15 % gel. 20 % worked well if I just needed my skin to calm down a little in the first few days.
    Oral doxy - gave me intense hot flushes that still lasted a few weeks after I stopped taking it, but had no effect on my skin. Since it started happening within the first few days of taking it, I can't connect the flushes to anything else but Doxy. I had my hormone levels checked out to see if it had something to do with that, but it all came out fine.
    Mirvaso ( not on your list, but mentioning it since it was given to me ) - worked like a charm for a few hours, but the horrifying rebound effect that lasted for good two weeks was definitely not worth it. This is the topical I would never use again.

Haven't tried Ivermectin. Currently doing laser therapy.

Cheers and good luck to everyone with their treatment.

Thanks for the info, it's really helpful. My GP currently has me on 40mg doxy, but I was pretty sure it is meant for subtype 2. I decided to try it anyway as he claims this is the "gold standard" in rosacea treatment, and it was the only thing recommended at my visit to the derm's office, which I initially refused. I've been on it two weeks as of today, but nothing really to write home about. I was told to be persistent, so I'll be taking it for another month.

Oh, and the derm gave me some samples of Mirvaso which I threw out as soon as I got home. Luckily I was clued in by this forum. Talk about losing faith in your derm on the very first visit.

Default Hi everyone

So I'm the only second voter here so I guess there isn't that much of great treatments in the list !
    I tried doxy, HCL supplements, fish oil supplements, and I am currently taking clonidine... BUT my MUST is not a medication. And actually it is just : avoid gettin' to hot. Ok Some of you are already smilin' at this and I understand. First of all, and because it's now accepted for everyone I guess that we don't all have the same desease - regards to triggers, symptoms and treatment - I'm going to make the feature, MY feature : brown hair, brown eye, kind of a tanned, mediteranean person, but I can get quiet pale (with red cheeks, of course). I also suffer from Psoriasis, sebderm and even if I'm not diagnosed for already, Psoriasis Arthritis. I'm 26, began with seb derm 11 years ago (I was 14 or 15 the first time SD showed up), psoriasis about 5 years ago, and rosacea for 2 years now. If you somewhat fit the same profile maybe the following will help you.

When I had my first rosacea symptoms, there were soooo many triggers I could suspect. So I won't make this non sense list. But I'd say I've been takin' doxy for about 6 month with no great changes, maybe a dryer skin but that's it (great !). Then I tried HCL (maybe it did help a bit but I began clonidine at the same time so it's difficult to state HCL helped cause I've now stopped it, whereas I continued this whole time with clonidine (1/2 every evening). My skin is not perfect and I guess a lot of us here have to accept time does have effect on us and you won't have your teenage skin, assuming it was nice then which isn't right for most of you. Mine was great. No pimples, nothing.

I already shared some on this forum but here I'll state my BEST regimen. With it, I have no more pustules or pimples (still not sure about the difference) and my redness subsided a lot.
    So first, I encourage clonidine use cause it seems to help. At least sure it works for the ocular symptoms (I began with pimples, redness and ocular rosacea) in my case.
    This is one of my few chemicals treatment. Others are the use of a BB cream (and YES people sometimes comment on "hey, you wear make up ??". I just say I don't and that it is a medical tinted cream so that I don't get bothered with it cause it's difficult enought to actually WEAR make up for a young 26 years old good looking, attractive guy. Rather maked up than red and blotchy. Whatever, before, people always said "oh look he is shy !" and things like this, **** 'em, they'll always make comment, cause that's how people do, that's how they can't not judge others), and the use of a zinc cream called Cicalfate in France, which helps A LOT with seb derm. It does flare sometimes, but it's rare enough to be liveable now. I wipe out BB cream with a micellanous water, by tapering more than swipping (By the way, sorry if my english is sometimes approximative, I'm French mate).

Strangely, the way my skin looks, seems to be very intricated with how my scalp feels (where I do have SD or pso, doctors and I don't know). Mostly it is a snowy scalp with little plaques I can feel when I scratch, cause LORD it stings and needs to be scratched). For my scalp, here is what I do :
    - Wash them 1/week with Ketoconazole without gettin' any on the face.
    - Wash them another time in the week with a soft shampoo dedicated to Seb Derm (for me, it's from bioderma's brand, as for the BB cream and the miscellanous water).
    - When I wash my hair with one or the other of these products, I ALWAYS end up runnin' fresh, nearly cold, water on my face. This is the 2 only times per week I do this, having well rinsed my hair before, making sure the less of my scalp products touch my face). If water runs on my face during the shampoo, I sponge it quickly with a towel I keep near me. When I end this program, face cleansing included, I slightly sponge (sorry I don't know ohter word to say this) my face, everwhere, and my 3-days beard so that my whole face is dry from water. I assure everybody that stricly after this, my face is white and pale as i won't exactly be the following week until I do this again. If I'm not religious with the light dryin'g of the face, SD WILL flare up, cause humidity is a big trigger for my SD.
    I dry my hair as well very religiously BUT without hairdryer. Just towel. I use 3, one for my face, one for my hair (never let my hair or my hair dedicated towel touch my face), and one for my body. Strangely again, my skin seems allergic to my hairs, all kind of em, even my eyebrows.
    When my SD flares I also use an antifungic cream everymorning for like 2 weeks or so (mine called mycoster).

Keep one thing in mind : body's life is as much cyclic as life itself. So don't get too axious when your skin flares cause there will be good days after, as there will be bad ones when you feel good.

Sun taken, when not directly through the face, is great for me, cause tan hides my redness and aliminates my breakouts. I made a post about this I won't explain my whole thinking again.

NOW my BIGGEST advice, if you're in a similar patern at least is this one : KEEP COLD/COOL. I am a BIG frilous (this what the french word "frileux" would look like if it did exist, but it doesn't, and it means I am very sensible to cold, as I'm a bit athletic-skinny maybe). It helps a lot with flush. In the past I loved hot showers, and I loved gettin' hot by any means (yeak I see you smillin'.. but stop ! cause it's no joke ;) ) and especially by rolling myself in bed sheets. I ended both. I take cold shower, which are not nice, and I try to keep the upper half of my body out of sheets at night and sleepin'. And not using a warming device. And letting windows open a bit.
    When I take a cold shower, BIM, no flush.
    I used to wake up less red than the evening but now it seems I'm cured every morning. And my eyes ARE WHITE ! ok they can become a bit inflammed along the day but it is cause I can't realisticly stay cold enough (cause too much cold is not good either, as you can get sick for instance ;)). Everyday it goes back to white now.

My 2 lasts advices are these ones :
    - When you get stressed or anxious, try just deep breathing, even if you (as I) don't know any particular type of breathing relaxation techniques. When your scalp itch, or your face, avoid touching it and try deep breathing by focusing on something else.
    - Try to exercise the most regularly. I think endurance is the key as I'm convinced rosacea HAS a cardiovascular component, and as I am absolutely not endurant (i just make some lifts exercises and like 5 minutes each, which is the badest for heart I guess, but help keeping me health and muscular looking).

Sorry for the long post, but I actually have many other advices in mind and I won't make a 2 pages post.
    I hope some people will share some success cause even if it looks a lot, it isn't and you have to accept your long term desease. If you have not already, I'll pray you do cause you just can't kill yourself for that ****. Once again, life is cyclic and will let you have brighter days, brighter enough so you don't want to die no more, assuming you've already ever been depressed as I am sometimes by these deseases.

Wish you good luck to you all,
    AND I AFFIRM YOU that the above treatment makes MY life manageable and happier.

Hope we will have an universal treatment for these cause it's going to happen. Hope we, and not only our children, will enjoy the benefits of a safe anti inflammatory that works on everything, for everyone. Maybe when labs want. Maybe when god want. Maybe when you want ;)

Sorry for the long post
    Last edited by Des Esseintes; 15th December 2015 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks a lot for your long and knoledge post. Very interesting, so i will try to apply your advices ( i have too a similar condition).

PS : C'est tellement plus facile pour un français de relire un autre français qui essaye de parler anglais . Je t'ai ajouter dans ma liste d'amis du forum, si tu veux bien on pourrait s'échanger à propos de nos experiences perso, ca pourrait être intéréssant ! Et merci pour le post, super !

Wow, thanks for sharing so much, Des Esseintes!! I really agree with you on the cyclical nature of everything in life. It's very easy to get down about these conditions, but staying optimistic is important. I think that is true for me, anyway. It's taking time to feel less anxious, but I think I'm getting there slowly, and people like you inspire me!