Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shampoos containing Climbazole

Default Shampoos containing Climbazole

I have found several shampoos in Australia that contain climbazole:

Clear Men's Anti-dandruff 2 in 1
    Palmolive Naturals Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
    E45 Anti-dandruff (Actually from the UK)

Has anyone used these products for seb derm and found results? I have it bad in my brows and moderate on my scalp. Nizoral doesn't seem to do it anymore. I also experience loss of the brow hairs which is getting worse and so frustrating. I know some with seb derm get this and some don't.

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback on these items. I am going to track them down and report back.

Also, I have emailed the companies about concentrations and will post once I hear back.

Thanks!
    S

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    I have found several shampoos in Australia that contain climbazole:

Clear Men's Anti-dandruff 2 in 1
    Palmolive Naturals Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
    E45 Anti-dandruff (Actually from the UK)

Has anyone used these products for seb derm and found results? I have it bad in my brows and moderate on my scalp. Nizoral doesn't seem to do it anymore. I also experience loss of the brow hairs which is getting worse and so frustrating. I know some with seb derm get this and some don't.

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback on these items. I am going to track them down and report back.

Also, I have emailed the companies about concentrations and will post once I hear back.

Thanks!
    S
    Hi SarahS,

I've used E45 Dry Scalp Shampoo for almost 6 weeks now with great results, a few of my posts about this product are in the main sticky of this sub forum. Long story short it has helped with seb derm flaking, acne on my cheeks, folliculitis on my chin and eyebrow loss.

I don't know the climbazole percentage as it's not stated, but it's a very mild shampoo. I only use it at night.

Cheers,

Bioderma Node P, Kito-z, Sachajuan scalp shampoo and hegor 150 are some other climbazole shampoos.

I agree with Canucks that the e45 shampoo is most gentle.

Hi,

Thanks for the additional brands. I just ordered E45 online from the UK as it is not available in Australia.

In the meantime I will try Clear, as I can't find anything else here with Climbazole.

Canucks--great results by the sounds of it! I am dying to save my eyebrow hairs. They have taken a major hit lately on the inside near my nose and it is starting to look ridiculous. I can see the sebum plugs pushing up through the hair follicle (white plug looking thing at the root of the hair) and once this has happened it's game over, the hair will fall out as the root is drown and detached. I also noticed same on my scalp hair around my hair line--white plugs pushing hairs out.

I really think, for me, there is a connection between seb derm and hair loss despite what others say. My thinking is perhaps some bodies react to the malassesia irritation by producing even more sebum, and it turn more food for the yeast to feed off of and grow, and in turn more irritation for my skin and hair follicles. Perhaps those of us with hyperactive immune systems (allergies, eczema) are more prone to this.

Anyway, putting some hope into climbazole for now. Keep up the product testing and reporting on results--I appreciate it!

S

Canucks--great results by the sounds of it! I am dying to save my eyebrow hairs. They have taken a major hit lately on the inside near my nose and it is starting to look ridiculous. I can see the sebum plugs pushing up through the hair follicle (white plug looking thing at the root of the hair) and once this has happened it's game over, the hair will fall out as the root is drown and detached. I also noticed same on my scalp hair around my hair line--white plugs pushing hairs out.
    Hey SarahS, this sounds exactly the same as my condition around my eyebrows. Very frail eyebrow hair with white plugs at the end. Hopefully the climbazole will work for ya! I finally started seeing signs of new eyebrow hair around week 3-4, so stick with it. I don't see many falling out anymore and they are far far less fragile. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Yes Canucks!!

Exactly my eyebrow hairs. White plug at the root and as soon as I see it--game over. So much anxiety when I see those things.

I am excited about climbazole. I wonder if we are resistant to ketoconazole?

Are you only using the shampoo or do you also have a cream you apply?

I washed this morning with the Palmolive anti-dandruff and my scalp feels pretty good. The company refused to disclose % of climbazole to me. Does E45 say how much it has?

Last question to you: do you have a history of using antibiotics leading up to this condition or any other skin issues like eczema?

Thanks
    S

thanks sarah. good hunting, i missed them.

unfortunately, they both contain sls.

When you buy a climbazole shampoo, don't buy it or order it from the US or Canada. Climbazole doesn't have an FDA-approved USP "Final Monograph," so ordering a US Palmolive-product that contains climbazole in its AUS version will not contain climbazole in the US or Canadian version. (Canada simply follows the FDA as to OTC drug approvals.)

Climbazole is legal worldwide in all OTC products, except the US or Canada.

There's a disconnect between the US and elsewhere, because FDA OTC trials are incredibly expensive, perhaps 2 million dollars, and no single company wants to finance OTC trials so that every other company can make the same OTC product. Obviously the system is broken. The FDA has a "new" fast track test, where the FDA is supposed to accept decades of OTC use worldwide, of a particular active ingredient, but that fast track process is not less expensive than full-on OTC trials. To my knowledge, in ten years of fast track regulation, not even a single drug has received a "fast" track approval.

Accordingly, if you call a company about climbazole percentage, and you are in the US or Canada, the company is likely to avoid answering the question about climbazole, because regulatory issues are probably handled at a higher level inside the company. The phone call bank is usually some third party call center, maybe in another country.

For example, I looked at the "Clear" line of products in the US, and they do not contain climbazole.

Also, I believe that the SLS climbazole-based products merely disperse the climbazole powder, which is not the same as dissolving the climbazole powder. Dispersed climbazole is effective at a higher percentage, like 1%, whereas dissolved climbazole is effective at a very tiny percentage, like 0.06%, in my experience.

What you really need to know is whether the climbazole is dispersed or dissolved, and there's no way any company is going to explain that manufacturing process to anyone, even assuming you could get it's lab manager on the phone.

Yes Canucks!!

Exactly my eyebrow hairs. White plug at the root and as soon as I see it--game over. So much anxiety when I see those things.

I am excited about climbazole. I wonder if we are resistant to ketoconazole?

Are you only using the shampoo or do you also have a cream you apply?

I washed this morning with the Palmolive anti-dandruff and my scalp feels pretty good. The company refused to disclose % of climbazole to me. Does E45 say how much it has?

Last question to you: do you have a history of using antibiotics leading up to this condition or any other skin issues like eczema?

Thanks
    S
    At first I used Lotrimin Ultra or Ketoconazole cream once a day in the morning, and 30% TTO mixed into my nightly moisturizer. I now use 15% TTO at night since I found it to be too drying and irritating at 30%. Lotrimin Ultra did help reduce the flaking; ketoconazole seemed to do nothing.

The reasoning behind me using the TTO is that I found it previously effective against my seb derm. I also had major pustules and weird sensations of "wetness' or crawling on my chin that could be attributed to demodex. The TTO could be a factor in reducing my eyebrow loss, but I did find that the E45 wash helped before I introduced TTO into my regimen.

There must be some correlation between seb derm induced by malassezia, eyebrow loss and / or demodex! There seems to be quite a few of us dealing with similar conditions regarding eyebrows.

And no I haven't had to use oral antibiotics much, but I have used a topical tetracycline for my acne when I was a teenager. I was also on a 6 month course of Accutane a few years back and have no doubt that it messed with my body. All my seb derm problems started when I dropped all topicals and tried out the "water only" caveman regimen after years of benzoyl peroxide and acne face washes.

Hope everything is well!

Canucks--Thanks for the info. I agree, there is some kind of connection as there are many people out there describing similar deb term/eye brow loss so we are not alone. I also don't think it is a coincidence that I lost half the hair volume on my head (diffuse as opposed to patchy). If I had demodex on my head I would know...it's just not that irritated.

Tom - The Palmolive shampoo I bought here in store in Australia and climbazole is listed on the label. I contacted the company to ask if it was being used as a preservative or as an active ingredient and they confirmed it is the active ingredient in the anti-dandruff shampoo. And as predicted they will not disclose percentage. Same story with Clear, it's on the label, but I did not contact the company. I noticed a bunch of other ingredients in the version I grabbed that would feed malassesia (coconut oil or something) so I might return it and grab the version that is non-moisturizing. I wasn't paying attention when I purchased it.

As for SLS, I have been skin patch tested for SLS and I am not allergic or sensitive to it so it's not an issue for me. I should also note the Australian version of the Palmolive 2 in 1 with climbazole does not use SLS it uses Ammonium Laurel Sulfate. You can search EWG to see it is way low on the irritant scale.

I have used the palmolive on my brows and scalp two days in a row now, so far so good. Brows in ok shape.

S