Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Seb Derm with Pictures

Default My Seb Derm with Pictures

Hello im 32 years of age, ive has SD since I was 18. I would like to share my thoughts with you guys/gals.

It all started for me when I was working on a building site at the age of 18, I was hacksawing a piece of metal. I got hot and noticed my face went red and that's where it all started. I had bad acne when I was in my late teens and early 20s, I took antibiotics (oxytetracycline, excuse spelling) and used creams for years to help get rid. I also used to suffer with boils on my face and neck and chest, all around the hair follicles. I have many red marks left on my face and some on my chest from boils and spots, these have now turned into areas of SD. I had black heads which I used a cosmetic tool to remove from my face (it was a piece of metal with a hole that would sit over the black head, when you pushed down on it the puss would come out), these too have scared and turned into seb derm patches.
    Originally I only had SD on either side of my nose but it has gradually spread to my forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, every where that I shave and a small amount on my chest.
    I have been drinking a shot of aloe vera for about a month and its helped clear the back of my neck which is still susceptible to spots and boils. Ive also been using aloe gel on my face for around 2 weeks and ive noticed that it helps cool and reduce a little of the redness but no more, it also makes my skin a little dry and the flakes go yellow and stick to the face.

Heres some pictures of the skin after using aloe gel as mentioned above
    20150511_213636.jpg20150511_213649.jpg20150511_213658.jpg

I haven't used it for about 4 days now because I felt like it was going to make me worse, ive spent a bit of time out side today in the sun and I feel as though it had no effect on improving me. When I go outside and im having a good skin day then I get a tan and no flare ups, on holiday it clears up too, im not sure why.

My current appearance

20150516_181514.jpg20150516_181522.jpg

Ive seen 3 derms in my time and this is what ive tried, what I can remember any way.
    Ive tried dactacourt and it made me worse. Palmers coco butter made me worse.
    Nivea for men sensitive moisturiser and aveno cream used to help but makes me flare now.
    E45 and aqueous cream didn't help.
    I used to have bad dandruff at the start of my SD nightmare but I found that head and shoulders keeps it at bay mostly, but it still get dry itchy skin on my temple areas.
    I used to go weeks/months without any symptoms or flare ups in my early days but now im lucky if I go days.
    My only arsenal to battle this atm is the aloe gel/drink (not sure if its really helping) and I have ketoconazole 2% shampoo, nizoral 2% creams and hydrocortisone 2.5% cream. Back in the early days I used 1% hydrocortisone cream but it lost its effect and the 2.5% has too, and yes ive pretty much used steroid cream since I was 18.
    I haven't used my ketoconazole or hydro cream since I started aloe gel about two weeks ago.
    Sun beds in the past have proved helpful but they seldom work nower days.
    I also believe food and drink doesn't effect me, I used to go on benders in my 20s, drink and drug and my skin would actually improve.

I was thinking about giving the honey treatment a go, what do you peeps think based on my pictures what should I do. I need help so bad, I still cant believe im living with this disease, its taken control of my life.

I have also been prescribed itraconazole, I took one tablet for a week and it cleared me up.
    I recently took another weeks course and it did nothing for me, I have one weeks course left which I will take this week and hope for the best.

I really feel like reaching for the hydro cream to ease the itch and calm the redness atm.

Hi Sparky,

So you are just drinking some aloe vera drink?
    What about the standard treatments for seborrheic dermatitis? Like ketaconazole cream twice a day? Or metrocream? Although the redness probably won't go away instantly, these are probably more safe than topical steroids. I think it is important to establish a good relationship with a doctor. Please give it another shot. What treatments have you discussed/followed with a dermatologist?

Your skin looks quite like a textbook example of seborrheic dermatitis and sensitive dry skin. Don't go to rough on your skin. I think your skin can clear quite easily with a simple treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    Hi Sparky,

So you are just drinking some aloe vera drink?
    What about the standard treatments for seborrheic dermatitis? Like ketaconazole cream twice a day? Or metrocream? Although the redness probably won't go away instantly, these are probably more safe than topical steroids. I think it is important to establish a good relationship with a doctor. Please give it another shot. What treatments have you discussed/followed with a dermatologist?

Your skin looks quite like a textbook example of seborrheic dermatitis and sensitive dry skin. Don't go to rough on your skin. I think your skin can clear quite easily with a simple treatment.
    Thank you for your reply White, it really helps talking with some one and your words have helped improve my mood today, Thank you.

Ive been drinking aloe vera juice for 4-5 weeks now, one 60ml shot a day. I don't think its helped my SD but its def helped with the spots/boils I got on back of then neck. I will continue to drink it because it must be helping my insides and its the healthiest thing that goes in my mouth.
    Ive also been using aloe vera gel (which is like a cream in a tube) on my face for about 1.5 weeks, it had an initial cooling effect but it also made the skin a little dry and the flakes would turn a yellow. I hate when the flakes turn yellow, they are the most stubborn and painful ones. White flakes are easy to scrap off.

So ive decided to stop using the gel on my face and return to the OTC meds, but will continue to drink it.

The treatment that gets prescribed to me and the one that is most effective is to shampoo with Ketaconazole (when my dandruff is at bay which is 90% of the time I use H&S for my daily showering) and I use nizoral 2% on my face, ive also been told that its ok to use the steroid cream for very short times and not that often. I would say a 15g tube of 2.5% hydro cream will last me 6-12 months. I have been any where from 75% - 99% clear with this treatment in the past, I don't think I will ever be 100% symptom free at any one time.

I find the nizoral cream helps to clear me up, but it still leaves the stubborn red patches either side of the nose and it also dries my skin out. The derm did recommend that I use aveno cream for the dry skin, which initially was successful but at this precise moment in time its just aggravating me.
    I must confess though when my skin is practically healed I find that using a moisturiser helps to keep me clear looking and helps with the dry skin left by the nizoral, but after reading many threads espically the ones by Tom Busby im wondering if doing so could be a mistake.
    Sometimes especially the whole of this year so far, ive been finding this treatment to be very hit and miss. My SD flares for about a week to 10 days and then settles for about 4 and then repeats, however of late it more like a week on a week off.

I turned to the steroid cream this morning and littly dabbed some troubled spots, I have some parts of my SD that are too sensitive for the hydro cream and I avoid them, how ever it these parts that are the most painful, hot and itchy.
    Im doing my last weeks worth of itraconazole atm and im hoping I can get my self under control.

Im sorry to ramble on im just getting as much info out there as possible in the hope that I can help contribute to this forum.

I would also like to share this piece of info which helps with my self esteem on the days where the mirror is being cruel.
    I use Maybeline nude dream air foam make up to help hide the condition. It comes out in a foam and is easily dabbed on instead of being rubbed in.
    It takes away the redness to a degree but it does cause the dry skin to be a bit more pronounced. But I ask my self would I rather be red and flaky or massively reduced redness with a bit of flakiness showing.

What moisturizer are you using? I think it is important to keep your skin hydrated. Have you tried plain old vaseline, or some other fatty cream?

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    What moisturizer are you using? I think it is important to keep your skin hydrated. Have you tried plain old vaseline, or some other fatty cream?
    In the past ive used palmers coco butter and it used to have positive results and other times it would have a negative response.
    Ive also tried e45 and aqueous creams and they didn't agree with me.
    I then found nivea for men sensitive (white tube) and I have used that for years and I recently switched to aveno cream as instructed by a derm I saw.

After reading some of the threads on this forum, written by Tom Busby it would appear moisturisers feed the mallezia if they are not of a certain C type ie C8-C10 if im not mistaken.

Ive tried Vaseline in the past and it just left me looking greasy and did nothing else.

Hi Sparky, Your pictures look similar to my SD. I don't get it on my cheeks or forehead as much but I get it a little worse on my mustache and lip border.

I'm glad you found these forums. Don't give up on finding a way to clear the SD. Different things seem to work for different people so keep trying different methods if something isn't helping. I hate sebborhea dermititus so much that I won't ever learn how to spell it correctly. I also hate it so much that I want you, a total stranger, to defeat it. As long as someone somewhere is kicking SD butt than I am happy.

I found this forum after going through a yearlong unhelpful Doctor rigamarole. Until that point no one was able to diagnose me and I didn't even know what I had. Right at the 2014/2015 New Year I went from treating it with corticosteroid creams, oils/moisturizers and switched to raw honey and antifungals. Since I switched my overall SD has been greatly reduced, flares far less frequent, and my quality of life improved. I still am in an active battle with SD but I feel like I have a handle on it now. I am currently recovering from my first full flare of 2015 but it wasn't too bad. Up until that point this year I've only had isolated irritations pop up here and there.

I would recommend that you give the raw honey treatment a try. It doesn't work for everyone but some really respond to it. It had a pretty immediate effect on me so it didn't keep me guessing whether it was working or not. There is a forum "sticky" detailing how to use it which I recommend reading through but want to caveat a few points. First don't apply coconut oil after you use the honey. The oil will make the SD condition worse. Also the post kind of ritualizes the whole raw honey application process. I just scoop that stuff up and generously apply it to the irritated areas. I'll leave it on anywhere from a minute to 4 hours depending on what I'm doing at the time. I thought having honey masked on my face would be uncomfortable but it isn't at all. You should probably start with a using it on a very small area the first time to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction to it. Make sure the honey is RAW honey. The one I get is thick and white colored but I've seen some in the stores that are darker and see through. Don't know if that matters one way or the other.

I was using corticosteroid gels and creams too but I was able to stop. I've had psoriasis since I was a kid and the steroid gels are very helpful for that but I really think they were making my SD worse. If you do use them maybe try to wash them off after an hour or so and then apply an antifungal to that area. I would continue to try to wean off of them though. They will temporarily reduce the inflammation by reducing your immune response to the area. They will also probably contain inactive ingredients that will feed the SD yeast. When the drug's beneficial effect wears off there will probably be a larger yeast population and the immune response may not be functioning at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky7ot View Post
    After reading some of the threads on this forum, written by Tom Busby it would appear moisturisers feed the mallezia if they are not of a certain C type ie C8-C10 if im not mistaken.
    If you use a powerful antifungal like ketaconazol, I wouldn't worry too much about feeding the fungi. I think it important to keep your skin soft and subtle. My guess is that broken and dry skin is way worse than a little oily. Many people get dermatitis during the winter months. But it is during the summer that your skin produces more sebum.

I don't believe you can really feed the Malassezia.

Maybe find a Vaseline substance similar kinda moisterizer that will be absorbed (and not stay on your skin)

Hi White, yes, malassezia has specific metabolic needs, and feeds on body sebum, which is generally C12 to C20.

The first link below is the 1968 study about the metabolic needs of malassezia, as C12 to C20 for carbon lengths of the oil. The second link explains why confusion about malassezia persists.

WILDE, A Study of the fatty acid metabolism of the yeast Pityrosporum ovale, Biochem. J. (1968) 108, 225-231, United Kingdom.
    www.biochemj.org/bj/108/bj1080225.htm

ASHBEE, Immunology of Diseases Associated with Malassezia Species, Clinical Microbiology Reviews, Jan. 2002, p. 2157 Vol. 15, No. 1, United Kingdom.
    http://cmr.asm.org/content/15/1/21.full

Got my raw honey today, just need to figure out how to uncrystalise it and i will report back with some pics.