Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My First VBeam last week

Quote Originally Posted by SRT150 View Post
    UPDATE

I had another VBeam done a couple weeks ago. Again, the purpuric settings simply would not bruise the dilated blood vessels, as if I have developed some sort of resistance! So instead, the doctor went over the treated area a 2nd time at a slightly lower setting. This gave me more significant swelling than I've had from previous VBeams (about 3-4 days), but also more effective results! I have noticed both a decrease in flushing frequency and flushing intensity. To be honest, I don't think I've even had a severe deep red burning flush since the treatment (and I'm not even taking SSRIs anymore). I'm not cured by any means however, and still have occasional flushing episodes...but luckily for now they're not as bad.

This "double pass" method of going over the treated area twice with the laser has yielded the best response so far from all of my PDL treatments. I'm not sure if this would be the case for everyone, but if purpuric Vbeams are no longer helping than its definitely something worth trying.
    Hi SRT150.

When you say that the purpuric settings didn't bruise, do you mean you're not bruising at the same settings that you used to bruise at? Was this 0.75ms or 1.5ms? I have had a number of purpuric and non-purpuric vbeams, but going for my first vbeam next month since I've have actually had permanent redness (used to only have flushing.) Have your purpuric vbeams helped with the premanent redness as well as the burning? Over the years I have seemed to control the redness up until a year ago, but the burning has always been there, and definitely seen some relief from the vbeams. I probably got purpuric vbeams too early into my condition as I was getting them when I only had mild redness from flushing, and my skin is now very sensitive. Hoping for good results next month.

I had the treatments done at the University of Michigan Cosmetic Dermatology and Laser Center in Ann Arbor, MI. Most of my treatments were handled by Dr. Jeffrey Orringer, who is an expert in cosmetic dermatology and laser therapy. Each treatment lasted only about 10 minutes, and the cost was around $350.

I am unsure about the Excel V treatment, as I haven't extensively researched it outside of a couple searches on this forum. However, from your description it sounds like the ND YAG 1064 could be more effective for flushing. I'll need to look up more reviews on that specific laser, and find out if any doctors in my area are carrying one.
    SRT - I'm going to make a note of your doctor's name in case I ever want to explore laser again. He sounds promising. I like the idea of doing multiple passes at low settings. Awesome to hear about your progress.

MissM - I'm curious if you induced a flush or something right beforehand? I've read mixed things about doing this, but I think my overall impression is that it can help the laser be more effective? Maybe it's different when the target is specific telengiasta (sorry too lazy to look that sp. up..) though. In any case I'd be curious what your doctor says (can you message him your concerns/pics?) I'm sorry the results were maybe not what you had hoped

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    MissM - I'm curious if you induced a flush or something right beforehand? I've read mixed things about doing this, but I think my overall impression is that it can help the laser be more effective? Maybe it's different when the target is specific telengiasta (sorry too lazy to look that sp. up..) though. In any case I'd be curious what your doctor says (can you message him your concerns/pics?) I'm sorry the results were maybe not what you had hoped
    Thanks Lizzy!

Yeah...As soon as the laser hits my face, I start flushing, so it's induced during the procedure...so I'm not sure? My doctor never gave me his email, but I plan on scheduling a follow-up visit with him before my next laser appointment. He makes absolutely no time to "talk" when I'm scheduled in for a treatment which is frustrating. So, as soon as I have more info, I'll let you all know what he says. I'm so curious to what causes certain veins to be resistant. Seriously, these veins are so tiny and right at the surface of my skin...it's shocking that a laser can't obliterate them!

Hugs,
    M.

Hi guys,

about lasers, I've read that the best one for KPRF should be the combination of ND Yag and PDL. Everybody speaks about this last one, but almost no one mentions the first. Any experience?
    The ND Yag as far as I remember penetrates deep so it should be better for flushing / blushing.. If I find the post I'll put a link

Default Venlafaxine

Hey friends! This thread has been very helpful to me as I plan to do Vbeam or PDL on my KPRF. I have had it for 8 months now and it isn't getting any better. However, I have found a pill that got rid of my flushing. Ever since I started taking a 37.5mg Venlafaxine pill daily I haven't had a problem with flushing. Ask your doctor about trying it, it majorly helped me and I'm sure it could help you. I take a super low dose and experience no side effects.

Also, how much has your baseline redness reduced since your first treatment? Have any pictures? Since I know longer have a problem with flushing I just need to lower my baseline redness. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by DunkWheezy; 18th July 2018 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hi SRT150.

When you say that the purpuric settings didn't bruise, do you mean you're not bruising at the same settings that you used to bruise at? Was this 0.75ms or 1.5ms? I have had a number of purpuric and non-purpuric vbeams, but going for my first vbeam next month since I've have actually had permanent redness (used to only have flushing.) Have your purpuric vbeams helped with the premanent redness as well as the burning? Over the years I have seemed to control the redness up until a year ago, but the burning has always been there, and definitely seen some relief from the vbeams. I probably got purpuric vbeams too early into my condition as I was getting them when I only had mild redness from flushing, and my skin is now very sensitive. Hoping for good results next month.
    Yes, I am no longer bruising at the same settings that I used to. It was at 1.5 for the first couple bruising treatments until we both noticed that my skin was no longer bruising. After that point I believe the pulse duration was lowered again to 0.45 which caused bruising again. Yes, the vbeams have helped with the permanent redness, perhaps even more than with the flushing. I don't get as many severe burning flushes as I used to get, but I still flush when in warm rooms or in direct sunlight for too long. The best remedy I have found for flushing is prescription medication, which decreases flushing by about 50-60%. My permanent redness is quite mild now so really my only problem left is occasional flushing (which has improved but is still annoying).

Another thing I've noticed is that the areas hit by the laser seem to be dried out more often. I'm not sure if the laser zapping the skin somehow disrupted the function of the skin barrier or what, but the side of my face where I received the majority of the zaps is not as efficient in holding in moisturizer and gets noticeably drier throughout the day. I've also noticed this side is more sensitive to touch, as it often flushes when I attempt to shave with a non-electric razor.

I apologize for the late response, hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by DunkWheezy View Post
    Hey friends! This thread has been very helpful to me as I plan to do Vbeam or PDL on my KPRF. I have had it for 8 months now and it isn't getting any better. However, I have found a pill that got rid of my flushing. Ever since I started taking a 37.5mg Venlafaxine pill daily I haven't had a problem with flushing. Ask your doctor about trying it, it majorly helped me and I'm sure it could help you. I take a super low dose and experience no side effects.

Also, how much has your baseline redness reduced since your first treatment? Have any pictures? Since I know longer have a problem with flushing I just need to lower my baseline redness. Thanks for your help!
    That's awesome to hear! Prescription medication has worked wonders for my flushing as well, however my medication gives me annoying side effects such as low libido. I currently take Celexa (citalopram 20mg) which noticeably reduces my flushing intensity. Is your Venlafaxine still working for you with no side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi SRT150!

Did this also demolish the dilated blood vessels? I seem to have some resistant ones on my left cheek...they came back after my last Excel V treatment. Why are certain telangiectasias so dang resistant anyway?

M.
    Yes, for some of them it did. It is bizarre how the blood vessels are able to adapt to the laser treatments and somehow evolve into becoming strong enough to counter them. I have also noticed certain areas that are more resistant to laser treatment and won't disappear for whatever reason. This leads me to believe there is either some sort of strange internal issues occurring, or possibly some significant issues with the skin barrier. At this point I have no idea, and I'm not sure the doctors do either. They know how to treat it, but have no idea why it is occurring lol.

That's awesome to hear! Prescription medication has worked wonders for my flushing as well, however my medication gives me annoying side effects such as low libido. I currently take Celexa (citalopram 20mg) which noticeably reduces my flushing intensity. Is your Venlafaxine still working for you with no side effects?
    Yes it still works without any side effects. I recently switched to taking one in the morning and one at night so there is a overlap and no time off the pill. During that period of switching I flushed a couple of times. However, now I'm back to normal and don't flush. I am sure though if I sat in a hot room for long enough I would flush.

Default PDL August 15th

I have KPRF on my cheeks and am doing PDL August 15th. I plan on taking pictures and posting them on a thread if anyone wants to see. I am 18 years old and my cheeks became red out of no where last semester. Baseline redness is the thing that annoys me most. I've gotten control of my flushing using venlafaxine. My cheeks get more red if I put pressure on them, get embarrassed, or get hot. I look like a 14 year old and believe I am still going through puberty. At least I hope so haha. My dad didn't grow till college so we will see. KPRF is not only painful, but a very hard mental challenge. It's sad how much I fear what people think of me even though this is something I didn't cause. However, I believe everything happens for a reason and hopefully I will grow through this trial. My expectation is that I will solve the problem, its just a matter of time and a matter of strategy. The answer exists. I don't plan on completely getting rid of my redness but I would like to significantly reduce it.
    Last edited by DunkWheezy; 13th August 2018 at 02:23 AM.