Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My personal log with photos (Raw Honey/Virgin Coconut oil treatment) --SEB DERM--

One final thought, MariaSt, concerning Jamie's course of action. Please don't throw out such comments as "you will make it worse." You are not a physician (nor am I), and certainly in no position to make such a comment. I suggested Jamie discuss Oracea with the dermatologist. If you don't agree, then you would have been more helpful to Jamie to say that Oracea made matters worse for you (if in fact in did?); however, you really should not make such a condemning statement. I am 63 years old and have had psoriasis ever since I was 16. I have had numerous mohs surgeries on my face for basil cell carcinoma. I have been treating rosacea for several years and now seb derm for about 2 years. I have NEVER heard a dermatologist (I have seen many over the years) say that Oracea made seb derm worse. I say again. For me and many others Oracea can improve not only p & p's (which was its main reason for development) BUT it can also greatly improve seb derm symptoms. Discuss it with your dermatologist.

[QUOTE=Mayberry;315989]
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    If it is seb derm, which I doubt, Oracea will make it worse.

I respectfully disagree. I have been treating rosacea for several years and seb derm for the last 2 years. I have had two different dermatologists agree that often Oracea is often the best treatment to treat seb derm when a patients skin is so sensitive that they cannot tolerate topicals. I tried mauka honey masks and washing my face with loprox shampoo. I actually had more success with ciclopirox shampoo (loprox) on my face every other day and then using cilopirox ointment on my forehead and eyebrows THAN honey or any other fungal medication. No attempt at dealing with seb derm could be sustained because of my dominant rosacea UNTIL my dermatologist suggested we try oracea. She said seb derm often will respond to oral low dose doxycycline (oracea). Please check more thoroughly and you will discover that others here have had significant improvement for seb derm issues after using oracea.
    Please, read the precautions: http://www.drugs.com/pro/oracea.html
    I have only rosacea2, not seb derm. I am not a dermatologist, but I have some knowledge that Oracea is indicated for rosacea only and not for fungal infections such is seb derm. It will make seb derm worse in the long run.

Maybe you aren't aware that doctors prescribe medications for off-label use. Again...a double-boarded dermatologist/dermopathologist in Charlotte, NC prescribed Oracea for me, to lower inflammation levels because she often had "patients who had significant improvement with seb derm symptoms after taking Oracea. Another dermatologist with The Skin Surgery Center in Winston-Salem NC confirmed that she often had success in reducing seb derm symptoms in patients who had not been able to tolerate topicals. So I will not bother in responding any further to your close minded comment. The most important consideration is trying to help the author of this thread. That is why I initially suggested discussing Oracea with their doctor. Obviously your expertise in the field qualifies you to recommend someone not even discuss with their doctor because it will do harm. I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry View Post
    Maybe you aren't aware that doctors prescribe medications for off-label use. Again...a double-boarded dermatologist/dermopathologist in Charlotte, NC prescribed Oracea for me, to lower inflammation levels because she often had "patients who had significant improvement with seb derm symptoms after taking Oracea. Another dermatologist with The Skin Surgery Center in Winston-Salem NC confirmed that she often had success in reducing seb derm symptoms in patients who had not been able to tolerate topicals. So I will not bother in responding any further to your close minded comment. The most important consideration is trying to help the author of this thread. That is why I initially suggested discussing Oracea with their doctor. Obviously your expertise in the field qualifies you to recommend someone not even discuss with their doctor because it will do harm. I'm done.

I would have to respectfully disagree here. I have personal experience with the subject matter, I developed seb derm in February but thought it rosacea as my dad has rosacea so I just assumed I had it. I finally went to a derm in May and she put me on oracea and 10 days later my skin went absolutely crazy. I had this red rash and white bumps in my mouth as well as itchiness everywhere. I made an appointment and she said "ohh you must be allergic to doxycycline" as oracea is simply 40mg of time-released doxycycline which is just below the microbial dose of 50mg so you don't do too much damage. She then put me on Solodyn which is Minocycline and my skin calmed down but only about 50%. She told me to give it a few months so it could take full effect before I give up so I listened like an idiot and took it for 4 months and my skin just got progressively worse and worse. Come September I just couldn't take it anymore and made an appointment at a new dermatologist. He looked at my skin and did a scrape-test on my temple area, it came back positive as malassezia which confirmed my diagnosis of seb derm. I then of course quit the minocycline and started 10 days of systemic anti-fungals as it was that bad! I also have been using topical anti-fungals and reading the forums of Tom Busy who is without question the most legitimate and educated poster on this forum and I have been improving slightly every day. I have a confirmed diagnosis of seb derm and can tell you personally without question that any oral and most likely topical antibiotics will only worsen seb derm if that is indeed what you have. Anti-biotics suppress the immune system and kill the good bacteria that would normally keep the yeast and fungus that causes seb derm at bay. If you don't believe me read any medical journal online about seb derm or any of the postings on this forum from Tom Busby. If you indeed do have rosacea and not seb derm I think that oracea would work wonderfully for you. It is a great rx for rosacea although it can be expensive depending on your insurance. I would first go to a highly rated dermatologist, preferably in a metropolitan area and get a proper diagnosis and then go from there. I don't mean to argue at all but I literally was in this boat 6 months ago and screwed myself over by taking antibiotics for rosacea when what I really had was seb derm. Anyway let me know how you progress. Best of luck to you!

Im sry it was not working but i would like to say tnx for al the days of your tretment because it can help another person deep rispect sry for speling al all the best to you

Default A suggestion

I was struck by your statement that you use Head and Shoulders shampoo every day. The chemicals in the shampoo might be a problem ....Could you use a mild shampoo every other time, or cut back on the daily shampooing? Also, I find coconut oil to be irritating to my eyes, so be careful applying it near the eyes.