Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck with Seb Derm

Quote Originally Posted by Daners View Post
    I believe I have Malassezia induced Folliculitis and was considering asking my doc for Promiseb at my next visit, but not sure now if I should bother. Please keep us updated!

I am currently on day 9 of oral Itraconazole (200mg/day) but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I have good days and bad - always made worse by things that bring up my body temperature (like taking my kids to their swimming lessons or too hot showers). I have noticed bubblebaths in Nizoral shampoo (I'm in Canada, our Nizoral is 2% concentration) help the most so far. I think it's bc a thin film of the Nizoral is left on my skin after I get out of the tub. And I try to air dry my skin as much as possible.

Anyways, please keep us posted on the Promiseb!

Tom, hope you don't mind my asking... did you have Folliculitis and/or pimples/pustules along with your seb derm?
    Hey Daners!

Yes I also have folliculitis with my seb derm as you can see by the nice white-head on my cheek there. The promiseb is simply a moisturizer to me. I only use it in the mornings so my face isn't tight or flaking when I start my day. It is better than using a generic OTC moisturizer that will feed the malassezia and it cools my skin down a bit so I'd say it's worth it if you have good insurance and don't have to pay too much out of pocket. As far as the itraconazole goes I was on oral ketoconazole for 10 days but didn't really notice any positive effects until day 7 or 8 but it really took effect a few days after I was off of it actually, but it definitely helped me. Make sure you are taking it with orange juice or coca-cola so it's absorbed better. Nizoral is great and you're probably right that because some sticks on your skin it works best in a bath, I will have to try that for my chest. Tom recommended the hegor 150 and I must say it really does work better than the nizoral. Give it a shot Best of luck to you Daners!
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Jbleez122 View Post
    Hey Daners!

Yes I also have folliculitis with my seb derm as you can see by the nice white-head on my cheek there. The promiseb is simply a moisturizer to me. I only use it in the mornings so my face isn't tight or flaking when I start my day. It is better than using a generic OTC moisturizer that will feed the malassezia and it cools my skin down a bit so I'd say it's worth it if you have good insurance and don't have to pay too much out of pocket. As far as the itraconazole goes I was on oral ketoconazole for 10 days but didn't really notice any positive effects until day 7 or 8 but it really took effect a few days after I was off of it actually, but it definitely helped me. Make sure you are taking it with orange juice or coca-cola so it's absorbed better. Nizoral is great and you're probably right that because some sticks on your skin it works best in a bath, I will have to try that for my chest. Tom recommended the hegor 150 and I must say it really does work better than the nizoral. Give it a shot Best of luck to you Daners!
    James
    Thanks James! Yes, I did notice that in your pics - I didn't mean to derail your post, just was wondering if Tom Busby also experience what you and I are experiencing with the pimples/pustules. Most of the time mine looks like bumpy, red, rashy irritated skin but there's usually a pimple or two thrown in! I don't seem to have any major flaking. I do have small flakes in/on my eyebrows and sometimes on my eyelashes (but I don't have another other symptoms of demodex), so pretty sure it's malassezia.

My Hegor 150 JUST arrived so plan to use it tonight. Okay, I will def ask for the Promiseb at my next doc appt. I may ask her to extend my Itraconazole for another 2 weeks to see if there's improvement medium-long term. I remember reading an online account of someone taking it for 2 months before they experienced full clearing. Not sure my doc will allow me to take it for that long....? Yes, I've been taking it with either orange juice or lemon water.
    Last edited by Daners; 4th November 2015 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks James! Yes, I did notice that in your pics - I didn't mean to derail your post, just was wondering if Tom Busby also experience what you and I are experiencing with the pimples/pustules. Most of the time mine looks like bumpy, red, rashy irritated skin but there's usually a pimple or two thrown in! I don't seem to have any major flaking. I do have small flakes in/on my eyebrows and sometimes on my eyelashes (but I don't have another other symptoms of demodex), so pretty sure it's malassezia.

My Hegor 150 JUST arrived so plan to use it tonight. Okay, I will def ask for the Promiseb at my next doc appt. I may ask her to extend my Itraconazole for another 2 weeks to see if there's improvement medium-long term. I remember reading an online account of someone taking it for 2 months before they experienced full clearing. Not sure my doc will allow me to take it for that long....? Yes, I've been taking it with either orange juice or lemon water.
    Yes the occasional pimple seems to always pop up on my face no matter what, I pay no attention to it as I would gladly trade my seb derm for an occasional zit from time to time, my focus it to destroy the malassezia and then go from there. I'm glad your hegor arrived, please let us know how it's working out for you. I've been using mine for around a week now and definitely am starting to notice real improvement. In regards to the promiseb I wouldn't put a lot of eggs in that basket. It's a good moisturizer but that's about it. If it is cheap for you to get than why not..but it doesn't do much to kill the malassezia. Let me know as well about the itraconazole and if you get a refill. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

In regards to the promiseb I wouldn't put a lot of eggs in that basket. It's a good moisturizer but that's about it. If it is cheap for you to get than why not..but it doesn't do much to kill the malassezia. Let me know as well about the itraconazole and if you get a refill. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!
    Ah, gotcha! Although the moisturizer I'm using now is terrible, so hopefully the Promiseb would at least not make things worse...?

And I have a ton of itchy pimples/folliculitis right now. I normally don't have any! They're mostly along my jawline and on my neck and chest. But as I'm reading more and more on the forums, I'm realizing my problem with malassezia goes back a long way! I've always had itchy pimples in/around my scalp and hairline area that seemed to come and go with different shampoos, etc. and then the tinea versicolor. Anyways, yes, will keep you posted!

Ah, gotcha! Although the moisturizer I'm using now is terrible, so hopefully the Promiseb would at least not make things worse...?

And I have a ton of itchy pimples/folliculitis right now. I normally don't have any! They're mostly along my jawline and on my neck and chest. But as I'm reading more and more on the forums, I'm realizing my problem with malassezia goes back a long way! I've always had itchy pimples in/around my scalp and hairline area that seemed to come and go with different shampoos, etc. and then the tinea versicolor. Anyways, yes, will keep you posted!

No I don't believe the promiseb would make things worse, I just wouldn't count on it to fix many of your problems either though. Yes I had the same revelation as I was thinking back to years ago when I first started having issues with acne and redness. I now believe as well that most of this was caused by undiagnosed malassezia and made worse by topical and oral antibiotics. Let me know how the hegor is working out, so far it has really been helping me Best of luck Daners!

Default Little update

Hi James, just wanted to give you an update.

I started to see clearing this past Monday, but didn't want to get too excited. That was day 15 of the Sporanox. The folliculitis lesions on my face and neck appear to be healing. I also saw my doc that day and she felt comfortable keeping me on the Sporanox for another month with my liver being checked at 2 week intervals. My facial skin has looked nearly perfect first thing in the morning (with only a few pimples on my chin and hairline) for the past 3 mornings, but usually by 2-3pm, it's red and rashy with new pimples popping up. But at least it's generally moving in the right direction. I've been less itchy the past couple days, too.

She didn't know what Promiseb is, so said she'd call the pharmacist in the building - it may not be available in Canada.

Hi James, just wanted to give you an update.

I started to see clearing this past Monday, but didn't want to get too excited. That was day 15 of the Sporanox. The folliculitis lesions on my face and neck appear to be healing. I also saw my doc that day and she felt comfortable keeping me on the Sporanox for another month with my liver being checked at 2 week intervals. My facial skin has looked nearly perfect first thing in the morning (with only a few pimples on my chin and hairline) for the past 3 mornings, but usually by 2-3pm, it's red and rashy with new pimples popping up. But at least it's generally moving in the right direction. I've been less itchy the past couple days, too.

She didn't know what Promiseb is, so said she'd call the pharmacist in the building - it may not be available in Canada.
    Hey Daners,

Thank you for the update! I have the same thing, right when I wake up my skin looks great but as soon as I shower and start my day it's all downhill from there. I'm glad things are looking up for you though! I'm glad your derm is letting you continue the Itraconazole for the time being. You will have to let me know how that progresses, I think I might ask my derm for more oral anti-fungals at my next appointment. I wouldn't worry about the promiseb too much, as long as your headed in the right direction then that's good. Post a follow up later in the week or weekend on the sporanox and let me know!
    Glad to hear things are overall well.
    James

Did you try the honey mask by any chance.

Hey Daners!

I was on oral ketoconazole for 10 days but didn't really notice any positive effects until day 7 or 8 but it really took effect a few days after I was off of it actually, but it definitely helped me.

Amazing. I had exactly the same experience and you, and have been confused about it ever since.

Just quickly on my experience with antifungals. Only took Ketoconazole for 14 days. It didn't work really during the treatment but when i stopped i was completely seb derm free for a few days.

Sporanox. Can't remember the exact duration but about two weeks. Didn't help at all. When I stopped it my overall response to the yeast got worse and i never got back to where i was before.

Terbinafine. Nothing, didn't notice any difference.

Difflucan. Took for four weeks once a week. Helped immediately but lost effectiveness gradually. Tried a second course but didn't work as well. Feel I have resistance now, but was seb derm free on the second day.

Default Update

Hey Luis, Yes I am currently on treatment day number 11 of the honey mask and am seeing limited results so far. It does not worsen the condition and helps exfoliate a small amount of flakes/biofilm but by the time I wake it up it looks like a new layer has already come back Benjamin that is interesting you had the same reaction as I did. My derm gave me more oral ketoncazole which of course helps but refuses to refill my script as my bilirubin has shot through the roof after my latest lab test. I asked him about sporanox or diflucan and he told me that because of the p-450's or something (I'm no doctor or scientist so I have no idea what that means) in the ketoconazole it is the only oral antifungal that is truly effective with malassezia. I was real bummed out but then moved on to my hegor 150 which worked at first but after a few days caused a lot of irritation and redness (I assume from the SLS) so I have backed off from that. My current regimen consists of the raw honey masks (local raw honey for 3 hours every other night), followed by promiseb, and when I'm in the shower or on the off nights of the honey mask I use a sodium sulfacetamide 10% sulfur 5% cleanser I was prescribed and then again followed by the promiseb. I am noticing a reduction in some flakes and a slight reduction in redness however I am getting more generic acne in places I don't normally get any. Just thought I would keep you all updated, my face has improved from day 1 but it is no drastic change that I am satisfied with. It's a never ending battle but I am not giving up.
    Cheers.