Thread: Activation of Neutrophils Following Exposure to Demodex-Associated Bacterial Proteins

Default Activation of Neutrophils Following Exposure to Demodex-Associated Bacterial Proteins

Kindly provided by one of the researchers (posting here for others to see but will remove at author's request) since it's behind a paywall :

Activation of Neutrophils via IP3 Pathway Following Exposure to Demodex-Associated Bacterial Proteins
    Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory condition that predominantly affects the skin of the face. Sera from rosacea patients display elevated reactivity to proteins from a bacterium (Bacillus oleronius) originally isolated from a Demodex mite from a rosacea patient suggesting a possible role for bacteria in the induction and persistence of this condition. This work investigated the ability of B. oleronius proteins to activate neutrophils and demonstrated activation via the IP3 pathway. Activated neutrophils displayed increased levels of IP1 production, F-actin formation, chemotaxis, and production of the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1β and IL-6 following stimulation by pure and crude B. oleronius protein preparations (2 μg/ml), respectively. In addition, neutrophils exposed to pure and crude B. oleronius proteins (2 μg/ml) demonstrated increased release of internally stored calcium (Ca2+), a hallmark of the IP3 pathway of neutrophil activation. Neutrophils play a significant role in the inflammation associated with rosacea, and this work demonstrates how B. oleronius proteins can induce neutrophil recruitment and activation.
    More evidence that demodex and their resident bacteria may be contributing to the pathogenesis of rosacea.

NeutrophilActivFMcM.pdf

Thx for sharing. It is kind of a difficult publication to explore I must say. Are there big lines you could sum up ?

You're welcome. I agree, it is very heavy on terminology, but the basic takeaway is that "yes, proteins from the B. oleronius bacteria, thought to be resident in Demodex mites, do contribute to inflammation". The inflammation might be tied to Rosacea. I need to read this through better myself.

Excellent research article -- the University of Ireland at Maynooth is the best research facility for demodex, but the University of North Carolina is a close second, using an approach more guided by DNA. I can add little, except demodex have no excretory opening, so their gut-bacteria are released completely when they die. As arachnids, they're fairly high on the evolutionary scale, but they have a very short maximum lifespan relative to humans, 23-24 days for demodex folliculorum and 45 days for demodex brevis. Breaking the mating cycle is likely to be the key, compared to treating the bacterial aftermath.