Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oral metronidazole caused me tinnitus

Default Oral metronidazole caused me tinnitus

My dermatologist prescribed me oral metronidazole for 15 days,which should have been followed by doxycicline for another month,as a treatment for demodex mites infestation with ocular involvement. The problem is that after 3 days of taking oral metronidazole 500x2, I developed tinnitus, mild and temporary at first, but on day 11 it became permanent,it's a constant high frequent sound in both my ears. I discontinued the medication 5 days ago,but the tinnitus doesn't go away. My dermatologist says that it happens and that it'll pass in 4 months the most and that I should continue with doxycicline 50mg daily,but I am not so sure about it,as doxycicline is already known for its ototoxicity. Moreover,I have an appointment with an otorhinolaryngologist on Monday and I am afraid that he'll suggest taking cortisone. I am very confused,I don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaSt View Post
    My dermatologist prescribed me oral metronidazole for 15 days,which should have been followed by doxycicline for another month,as a treatment for demodex mites infestation with ocular involvement. The problem is that after 3 days of taking oral metronidazole 500x2, I developed tinnitus, mild and temporary at first, but on day 11 it became permanent,it's a constant high frequent sound in both my ears. I discontinued the medication 5 days ago,but the tinnitus doesn't go away. My dermatologist says that it happens and that it'll pass in 4 months the most and that I should continue with doxycicline 50mg daily,but I am not so sure about it,as doxycicline is already known for its ototoxicity. Moreover,I have an appointment with an otorhinolaryngologist on Monday and I am afraid that he'll suggest taking cortisone. I am very confused,I don't know what to do.
    Hi Maria,

I think you may have had a ototoxic reaction to the metronidazole. Its when medications cause damage to hearing, a lot of people do not know that medications can damage hearing. Aspirin can also cause tinnitus in high dosages it normally stops when you stop taking it, medications used to treat cancer are the most likely to cause hearing loss and tinnitus apparently.

I have permanent tinnitus from taking a beta blocker for flushing. I was on it for two weeks and noticed my hearing was muffled. I thought I was just getting the start of a head cold, after 3 days of muffled hearing tinnitus kicked in! It was only when I googled beta blocker hearing loss that I found people had developed hearing loss from taking it. My GP took me off it straight away and put it on my record that I was never to take the propranolol again.

My advice would be stay away from the metro!! it obviously does not agree with you. Ototoxicity is a funny thing, you could be on a handful of ototoxic medications and it would have no affect on your hearing and then you could take something else that is ototoxic and you could have the damaging effects.

I hope your tinnitus goes away, it is a horrible thing to have, Just be thankful that you have noticed this in time before any more damage to your hearing was done

Best of luck
    Keep us posted.
    carl

I have tinnitus, too. I've had had it for a long time - before rosacea. Dr did some tests at the time and found I had high-frequency hearing loss.

More recently, I've noticed that my medications for flushing exacerbate my tinnitus at times. I agree with Carl. Best to stop the antibiotic. Hope things get better soon!

The leaflet of metronidazole doesn't say anything about tinnitus as an adverse reaction, that's why I didn't stop taking sooner, big mistake. My concern now is about taking doxycycline, should I or shouldn't I risk it? The tinnitus is driving me crazy, especially if there is a possibility that it becomes permanent.

Hi Maria. Maybe it's best to hold off on the antibiotic for now until you can ask the otolaryngologist about it on Monday? The dr should know if the med isn't a good idea at this point.

Is the doxy just for occular rosacea? Or your skin, too? Do you have breakouts?

Default Oral metronidazole caused me tinnitus

The scheme metronidazole/doxycicline is considered by my derm as a successful treatment for killing demodex. I have rosacea type 2 with blefaritis. Recently an ophthalmologist found demodex on my eyelashes. Ivermectine is not available in my country. Metronidazole is supposedly less toxic than ivermectin (haha). I was going fine with tto, but thought that oral treatment would be more effective. I don't have just rosacea to worry about now and I am angry at myself that I didn't stick with the tto. (Nowadays, I have breakouts only if I eat sugar or chocolate).
    Last edited by MariaSt; 23rd August 2015 at 12:13 PM.

An update: I went to an otorhinolaryngologist today, the acoometry was normal,so my hearing isn't impaired,but he prescribed me oral cortisone for one week,just to ensure that the tinnitus doesn't become permanent. How will my skin react to cortisone ,I wonder?

If the cortizine has you tapering off, that should be fine. I've been on steroid packs for a week or two and I did fine. I was a severe flusher at the time, but the tapering helped. You'll probably see your skin calm and clear up if there are breakouts. Though it will return to normal after you stop the steroids.

Thank you very much,hg24. I just hope that the demodex doesn't take advantage of the cortisone and proliferate. I'll start tomorrow.

Tomorrow it'll be my last day of cortisone treatment. Tinnitus got better at first,but today-as soon as the dosage was reduced-it became worse. The same applies to my rosacea. My skin looked much better until yesterday,today it's worse. But I don't care about my skin anymore, I just want my normal hearing function back.