Thread: Lecithin can lower cholesterol

Default Lecithin can lower cholesterol

A friend of mine mentioned today that lecithin can lower cholesterol, and here's a research article that supports the theory: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/chol...l/2010/824813/ Is there any risk from taking lecithin supplements?

I bought 100 gelcaps today at Sprouts for about $9 -- a non-GMO, derived from sunflowers, version of lecithin, so the price is certainly right.

Some people advise against soy-derived lecithin. I don't know if that's significant though.

I took lecithin caps for about 2 weeks, and then modified the method and the dose, because lecithin is barely soluble in oil or water, and 3 capsules per day seemed to make little difference.

It wasn't until I cooked the lecithin a bit that I noticed it made me feel better, by making hot chocolate.

So here's the drill -- 1 tsp. Ghiradelli Unsweetened Cocoa, 1 capsule of 1200 mg sunflower lecithin, 3 tsp. Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Premium Hot Cocoa. Nip off the top of the lecithin capsule with some scissors, and squeeze it into the cocoa powder in the bottom of a coffee cup. Add 8 ounces of organic whole milk. Stir, and heat the above to about 150F in the coffee cup in pan with 3-4 inches of water, in a pan, on the stove. Cook for 20 minutes. 150F is where bubbles form on the bottom of the water-filled pan. Top off with 2 ounces low fat buttermilk, which is optional but adds a nice sour flavor, and immediately cools off the hot cocoa to a drinkable temp.

This is a delicious comfort food, and I believe it makes the lecithin more bio-available.