Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flushing when eating... anything

Default Flushing when eating... anything

It has got to the stage that I cannot eat anything without having a massive facial flush. I also frequently get a runny nose. I do not believe that I have allergies to certain foods, but is my body responding to all nourishment with inflammation, or is this just the heat my body generates chewing and digesting? The only way I manage to eat a meal is by alternating each mouthful with ice cubes. Any other tips? Thanks

Oh, and would IPL help with this kind of flushing? (I have first IPL consultation next week)

Hi EllyS, so sorry you're going through this. This sounds quite severe. Have you seen a gastroenterologist?

Have you heard about Betaine HCL? It's a digestive aid with Pepsin. I'm wondering if this might help you. There's a medical theory that rosaceans don't produce enough stomach acid, which makes it harder for us to digest our food properly. There is a test you do with the Betaine to see if this is the case. Also, there's a baking soda test. There are a number of folks here over the years who've seen their flushing improve with it. You might do some googling about it in the context of rosacea. Lots of info here on the forum, too.

Are you taking any probiotics?
    Does the flushing happen immediately upon eating?

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    Hi EllyS, so sorry you're going through this. This sounds quite severe. Have you seen a gastroenterologist?

Have you heard about Betaine HCL? It's a digestive aid with Pepsin. I'm wondering if this might help you. There's a medical theory that rosaceans don't produce enough stomach acid, which makes it harder for us to digest our food properly. There is a test you do with the Betaine to see if this is the case. Also, there's a baking soda test. There are a number of folks here over the years who've seen their flushing improve with it. You might do some googling about it in the context of rosacea. Lots of info here on the forum, too.

Are you taking any probiotics?
    Does the flushing happen immediately upon eating?
    Hi hg24, thanks so much for getting back to me.

I am pretty certain that this is not a gastric issue: it happens immediately upon eating, and with all foods. I have a bad burning flush in the areas on my face that are already red/damaged.

I am REALLY hoping IPL can help me. What do you think?

Default Ipl

Hello EllyS -

I have horrible burning and swelling before I underwent 6 IPL sessions. I was desperate to do anything to get relief. In hindsight, I would never touch IPL again. My sessions were quite aggressive and I have to say that they did rid me of my burning - FOR A WHILE- but it did come back and it will come back. It is not a cure-all by any means. It also left me with little lines on my face, enlarged pores and a worse skin texture. I went to a very reputable plastic surgeon and paid good money (believe me). I think you must be very cautious. The depression I fell into for about a year after was very bad for me and the subsequent junk eating (perhaps as a self-punishment) left me in a worse place. I am feeling better now but my face is not the same as it was pre-IPL.

wendykay

Quote Originally Posted by EllyS View Post
    Hi hg24, thanks so much for getting back to me.

I am pretty certain that this is not a gastric issue: it happens immediately upon eating, and with all foods. I have a bad burning flush in the areas on my face that are already red/damaged.

I am REALLY hoping IPL can help me. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by wendykay View Post
    Hello EllyS -

I have horrible burning and swelling before I underwent 6 IPL sessions. I was desperate to do anything to get relief. In hindsight, I would never touch IPL again. My sessions were quite aggressive and I have to say that they did rid me of my burning - FOR A WHILE- but it did come back and it will come back. It is not a cure-all by any means. It also left me with little lines on my face, enlarged pores and a worse skin texture. I went to a very reputable plastic surgeon and paid good money (believe me). I think you must be very cautious. The depression I fell into for about a year after was very bad for me and the subsequent junk eating (perhaps as a self-punishment) left me in a worse place. I am feeling better now but my face is not the same as it was pre-IPL.

wendykay
    Hi Wendy, thank you for sharing that. It is very sad to hear it made things worse for you. I am seeing Dr Crouch, and will do a patch test first. I am just at my wits end - I have tried everything: diet, supplements, topicals, not touching my face, etc... Something is just so stirred up (by Mirvaso 4 months ago, mostly), that I cannot get my face to calm down. Am now going to try Pregabalin for the burning.

Are you having a similar flushing problem when you talk? Yawn? I remember reading somewhere on here about someone who was flushing from smiling broadly! This disease!

I can't remember - have you had IPL or laser before?

IPL could help - you probably need settings for deeper vessels. Also Yag is another option. If you have a good laser/IPL doctor, I would think it's worth a try.

It's just odd that it's only happening when you eat. If that's the trigger, will it continue to trigger you post IPL?

Are you having a similar flushing problem when you talk? Yawn? I remember reading somewhere on here about someone who was flushing from smiling broadly! This disease!

I can't remember - have you had IPL or laser before?

IPL could help - you probably need settings for deeper vessels. Also Yag is another option. If you have a good laser/IPL doctor, I would think it's worth a try.

It's just odd that it's only happening when you eat. If that's the trigger, will it continue to trigger you post IPL?
    I'm not sure about when I talk: I don't do much of that these days as the disease has so isolated me.

I haven't tried IPL or laser before.

I know what you mean. I'm living a very isolated life, too.

Dr Crouch is supposed to be quite good, so you'll be in good hands. Maybe he'll have some ideas about the eating predicament.

Can you drink cold liquids without flushing? Just wondering if cold, healthy smoothies could help you get your nutrients.

When is your IPL treatment? Soon?

I know what you mean. I'm living a very isolated life, too.

Dr Crouch is supposed to be quite good, so you'll be in good hands. Maybe he'll have some ideas about the eating predicament.

Can you drink cold liquids without flushing? Just wondering if cold, healthy smoothies could help you get your nutrients.

When is your IPL treatment? Soon?
    The smoothies are a good idea - I'll try.

My initial consultation is on 18th, and will just do a patch test (tho feel desperate enough to want to do full IPL). Am hoping/praying my skin will tolerate the heat of IPL...