Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rhinophyma recently diagnosed, please help

Default rhinophyma recently diagnosed, please help

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with rhinophyma a few weeks ago by a private dermatologist. The advice I got for my £160 was to go back to the GP and get them to prescribe 100mg of doxycycline once a day for 6-9 months, I have no follow up appointments. I subsequently got these from the GP and asked if I could have some cream to apply e.g. finacea and was told that it shouldn't be necessary. The thickened skin seems to be spreading daily from the side down through the tip of my nose and, as I suppose as many of you will be aware, this is somewhat bewildering. Anything I have done off my own back since is to purchase alcohol based face cleaner which I now understand is a no no, judging by some of the post I have read. If anybody can give me any guidance as to how to start treating this myself then please reply, firstly with what sort of cleanser to use.
    footnote: I haven't had rosacea in the past, and seem to have gone straight to type three, and don't have a particular sensitive skin, but I do have rhinophyma
    Any help will be appreciated as anyone who reads this will know how lost I am and feel very much on my own.

Hi Tony, you've come to the right place here. I can so understand how shocking and scary things may feel but rest assured you are not alone with this and your condition is treatable. There are many options and you just have to find one that works. I have subtype 2 so not that knowledgeable about subtype 3 but there are many on here who are. As a genealogy rule I'd suggest you stay with the obvious things like sleep, diet, exercise and stress levels. Do your research and don't discount anything. Derms don't really know what to do. They are limited by what has been approved. Nothing a dermatologist has prescribed has every helped me. I found my own solutions. I'm only sorry I trusted them for so long and continued a pointless treatment regime. I'm sure some people have found relief this way but do not assume that it will work for you. Hope that helps. Let us know how you are getting on.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice Col. This feels like a maze with 100 ways out and only one will be right for me. Just been reading about a skin peel with salicylic acid but that sounds a bit drastic to me, then again it is a drastic condition! I am gonna start with non alcohol based face washes and take it from there. As far as diet goes looks like I have to cutout everything I enjoy. Cheers, tonyh

Quote Originally Posted by tonyh View Post
    Thanks for the advice Col. This feels like a maze with 100 ways out and only one will be right for me. Just been reading about a skin peel with salicylic acid but that sounds a bit drastic to me, then again it is a drastic condition! I am gonna start with non alcohol based face washes and take it from there. As far as diet goes looks like I have to cutout everything I enjoy. Cheers, tonyh
    Hi Tony, John from Ireland here, have you looked into laser treatment, or plastic surgery to get the excess skin removed and they surgeon can reshape your nose back to normal, could be worth looking into before things get out of hand on you, same as me went to dermatologist told me what I knew already gave me two products that made my condition worse and yes no follow up on how I was handling my condition (unless p...k), col is right look into treating yourself, you'll find a solution, hope this helps a small bit Tony, take care, Regards john.

Default Thanks

Thanks John, could you tell me which products were recommended for you so l can avoid.
    Regards Tony.

Thanks John, could you tell me which products were recommended for you so l can avoid.
    Regards Tony.
    Hi Tony, the 2 products he prescribed where mirsavo gel and efracea antibiotics (oracea) in the UK, Regards john.

Thanks again John for your reply. Can I assume from your first post on this thread that you have had experience with laser treatment? Are you prepared to give details? Also is there anybody else reading this, could they recommend anyone in the Nottingham or Derby area for laser treatment? Regards tonyh

Thanks again John for your reply. Can I assume from your first post on this thread that you have had experience with laser treatment? Are you prepared to give details? Also is there anybody else reading this, could they recommend anyone in the Nottingham or Derby area for laser treatment? Regards tonyh
    Hi tonyh,

Most of the users on this board get hit with vbeam and IPL to remove the blood vessels, I don't think in your case the vbeam or IPL would work as they are used for removing blood vessel's and brown spots not thickened skin.

From what I have seen online when treating rhinophyma you normally use a resurfacing laser or dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is not to be confused with mirco-dermabrasion as they are very different.

The laser will burn off the thickened skin and dermabrasion will basically sand away the area's with rhinophyma.

Very important to go to somebody that knows what they are doing. You don't want to be left with groove's from the dermabrasion or scaring from the laser.

Alternative would be a deep TCA peel or phenol peel to burn the top layers of skin off.

Hopefully this helps you out
    Carl.

Thanks Carl for the info, I am now at the stage where I am looking round for an expert in treating this condition with lasers etc. The problem is deciding who as they are few and far between. I have found one about an hours drive away and will book an initial consultation soon to see what my options are.
    tonyh

Thanks Carl for the info, I am now at the stage where I am looking round for an expert in treating this condition with lasers etc. The problem is deciding who as they are few and far between. I have found one about an hours drive away and will book an initial consultation soon to see what my options are.
    tonyh
    That's great news Tony, I say your two best option's are laser or dermabrasion.

Keep us posted,
    Best of luck